Review: could Methotrexate cause Bloodshot eyes (Eye redness)?
Summary: Bloodshot eyes is found among people who take Methotrexate, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Humira, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 129,925 people who have side effects while taking Methotrexate from FDA and social media. Among them, 10 have Bloodshot eyes. Find out below who they are, when they have Bloodshot eyes and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Bloodshot eyes >>>
Methotrexate has active ingredients of methotrexate sodium. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 131,268 Methotrexate users)
Bloodshot eyes (bloodshot eyes appear red because the vessels in the surface of the white portion of the eye (sclera) become swollen) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, glaucoma, rheumatoid arthritis, depression. (latest reports from 748 Bloodshot eyes patients)
On Apr, 1, 2015: 129,908 people reported to have side effects when taking Methotrexate. Among them, 10 people (0.01%) have Bloodshot Eyes.
Time on Methotrexate when people have Bloodshot eyes * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Bloodshot eyes||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Bloodshot eyes when taking Methotrexate * :
|Bloodshot eyes||78.57%||21.43% |
Age of people who have Bloodshot eyes when taking Methotrexate * :
|Bloodshot eyes||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||15.38%||7.69%||0.00%||7.69%||69.23% |
Severity of Bloodshot eyes when taking Methotrexate ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Bloodshot eyes||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Bloodshot eyes ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (10 people, 100.00%)
- Carcinoma (1 people, 10.00%)
- Gastritis (1 people, 10.00%)
- Energy increased (1 people, 10.00%)
- Depression (1 people, 10.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Humira (9 people, 90.00%)
- Prednisone (7 people, 70.00%)
- Folic acid (6 people, 60.00%)
- Naproxen (6 people, 60.00%)
- Atenolol (4 people, 40.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of methotrexate and bloodshot eyes on
Do you have Bloodshot Eyes while taking Methotrexate?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Bloodshot Eyes
- support group for people who take Methotrexate
- support group for people who have Bloodshot Eyes
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Methotrexate for a 48-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Pain - Joints
- A study of drug interactions between Pravastatin Sodium, Zetia, Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide, Glyburide And Metformin Hydrochloride for a 67-year old man with High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes. The patient has Bloodshot Eyes
- A study of drug interactions between Losartan Potassium And Hydrochlorothiazide, Amlodipine Besylate for a 51-year old woman with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Loss Of Libido, Weight Gain, Supraventricular Tachycardia, Tired Eyes, Red Eyes, Dry Eyes, Glaucoma, Blurred Vision, Watery Eyes
- A study of drug interactions between Folic Acid, Orencia, Methotrexate for a 45-year old woman with Arthritis - Rheumatoid. The patient has Joint Stiffness
- A study of drug interactions between Remicade, Methotrexate for a 47-year old woman with Sarcoidosis. The patient has Burning Eyes, Burning Eyes, Shortness Of Breath, Painful Respiration
Recent Methotrexate related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Azathioprine, Humira, Enbrel, Sulfadiazine, Methotrexate for a 42-year old woman who has Psoriatic Arthritis
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Furosemide for a 55-year old man who has Arthritis
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Aloe Vera Gel for a 64-year old woman who has Arthritis
- Comparions of Arava, Methotrexate, Humira, Remicade for a 55-year old woman who has Seronegative Arthritis
- Comparions of Prednisone, Folic Acid, Methotrexate for a 64-year old man who has Tenosynovitis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.