Review: could Methotrexate cause Photosensitivity reaction?
Summary: Photosensitivity reaction is found among people who take Methotrexate, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Folic acid, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 129,908 people who have side effects while taking Methotrexate from FDA and social media. Among them, 198 have Photosensitivity reaction. Find out below who they are, when they have Photosensitivity reaction and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Photosensitivity reaction >>>
Methotrexate has active ingredients of methotrexate sodium. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 131,250 Methotrexate users)
Photosensitivity reaction has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 6,477 Photosensitivity reaction patients)
On Mar, 28, 2015: 129,908 people reported to have side effects when taking Methotrexate. Among them, 198 people (0.15%) have Photosensitivity Reaction.
Time on Methotrexate when people have Photosensitivity reaction * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Photosensitivity reaction||5.26%||26.32%||10.53%||26.32%||26.32%||5.26%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Photosensitivity reaction when taking Methotrexate * :
|Photosensitivity reaction||63.86%||36.14% |
Age of people who have Photosensitivity reaction when taking Methotrexate * :
|Photosensitivity reaction||0.00%||3.30%||12.64%||3.30%||8.24%||21.98%||28.02%||22.53% |
Severity of Photosensitivity reaction when taking Methotrexate ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Photosensitivity reaction||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Photosensitivity reaction ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Photosensitivity reaction||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (79 people, 39.90%)
- Psoriatic arthropathy (10 people, 5.05%)
- Acute lymphocytic leukaemia (10 people, 5.05%)
- Psoriasis (8 people, 4.04%)
- Drug dependence (6 people, 3.03%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Folic acid (60 people, 30.30%)
- Enbrel (54 people, 27.27%)
- Prednisone (53 people, 26.77%)
- Humira (30 people, 15.15%)
- Methotrexate sodium (21 people, 10.61%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of methotrexate and photosensitivity reaction on
Do you have Photosensitivity Reaction while taking Methotrexate?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Photosensitivity Reaction
- support group for people who take Methotrexate
- support group for people who have Photosensitivity Reaction
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisolone, Plaquenil, Leflunomide, Methotrexate for a 63-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Folliculitis
- A study of drug interactions between Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Zoloft, Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 53-year old woman with Hair Loss, Iga Deficiency, Depression, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus Erythematosus. The patient has Don't Want To Socialize At All
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Ativan, Lisinopril, Zoloft, Simvastatin, Janumet for a 64-year old woman with Heartburn Prevention, Insomnia, High Blood Cholesterol, Chronic Depression, Diabetes. The patient has Photosensitivity Reaction
- A study of drug interactions between Fluoxetine, Omeprazole, Prednisone, Folic Acid, Enbrel, Methotrexate for a 56-year old woman with Depression, Chest Tightness Or Pressure, Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Tremor
- A study of drug interactions between Lumigan, Doxazosin Mesylate, Ramipril, Diazepam, Prednisolone, Paracetamol, Tramadol, Folic Acid, Methotrexate for a 66-year old man with Pressure Sore, Blood Pressure Increased, Anxiety Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lung Surgery. The patient has Oral Discharge
Recent Methotrexate related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.