Methotrexate and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy - from FDA reports
Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy is found among people who take Methotrexate, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Prednisone, and have Rheumatoid arthritis. This review analyzes which people have Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy with Methotrexate. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 223,372 people who have side effects when taking Methotrexate from FDA, and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On May, 01, 2017
223,372 people reported to have side effects when taking Methotrexate.
Among them, 340 people (0.15%) have Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Methotrexate when people have Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy *:
- < 1 month: 9.43 %
- 1 - 6 months: 26.42 %
- 6 - 12 months: 18.87 %
- 1 - 2 years: 1.89 %
- 2 - 5 years: 9.43 %
- 5 - 10 years: 30.19 %
- 10+ years: 3.77 %
Gender of people who have Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy when taking Methotrexate *:
- female: 65.66 %
- male: 34.34 %
Age of people who have Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy when taking Methotrexate *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.68 %
- 10-19: 6.76 %
- 20-29: 2.36 %
- 30-39: 6.42 %
- 40-49: 17.91 %
- 50-59: 21.96 %
- 60+: 43.92 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (145 people, 42.65%)
- Tonsil Cancer (22 people, 6.47%)
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (21 people, 6.18%)
- Polymyositis (15 people, 4.41%)
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (all) (14 people, 4.12%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Prednisone (62 people, 18.24%)
- Folic Acid (53 people, 15.59%)
- Cyclophosphamide (50 people, 14.71%)
- Rituxan (43 people, 12.65%)
- Prednisolone (42 people, 12.35%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Jc Virus Infection (38 people, 11.18%)
- Speech Impairment (adult) (32 people, 9.41%)
- Pneumonia (23 people, 6.76%)
- Weakness (19 people, 5.59%)
- Lymphopenia (18 people, 5.29%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy when taking Methotrexate?
- Check symptoms - is progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- More tools...
Methotrexate has active ingredients of methotrexate sodium. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from Methotrexate 226,881 users)
Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy
Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (rapidly progressive neuromuscular disease caused by opportunistic infection of brain cells) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, non-hodgkin's lymphoma, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 7,639 Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy patients).
Browse all side effects of Methotrexatea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathyProgressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
Could your condition cause Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathyProgressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Rheumatoid arthritis and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Tonsil cancer and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Systemic lupus erythematosus and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Polymyositis and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Acute lymphocytic leukemia (all) and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
What would happen?
Can you answer these questions?
I started a low dose (10 mg) of methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis last week and noticed this week, after taking my second does, that my face is breaking out. Does anyone have any similar experiences? I also take 5 mg of folic acid daily. Thanks for any help you can offer up.
Not sure what where to go with this. I have fibromyalgia and relapsing polchondritus also a disability from va.. I have my flares mostly under control. As well as what to do when they become apparent. After many years on pharmaceuticals I went a different direction. With medical marijauna. ...
Hi there, My names Adele I am 41 and have RA. I had my Gall Bladder removed in March of this year due to stones and constant infections. 2 years ago I stopped taking MTX subcutaneous and unfortunately my RA has progressed to a point I have (today) re-started these. I have headache, nausea and ...
Several years ago in 2013 I was"diagnosed" with RA. I went through every medication including, humira, embral, to now IV fusions of remicade which has been almost a year. I am not feeling any better and body aches and joint pains getting worse. I started researching my symptoms and lyme kept ...
This is for my father. Shortly after starting methotrexate injections and cortisone for Rheumatoid arthritis my father started having language difficulties and now has dementia. He was diagnosed with Pick's disease. Could it be caused by these drugs? He is still taking them.
You may be interested in these reviews
Hi there, I have advanced RH, no medications for over past 12 years. Had an extreme flare up a few months back so went to rheumatologist who has prescribed 10 mg methotrexate, weekly and daily palquil, 5mg prednisone and 2x weekly folic acid. I have been on them nearly 3 months now. This ...
Ive been taking methatrexate for 7 months 20mg as a single weekly dose,....This was upped to 30mg as it didn't seem to be working as well as expected,...Iv'e only taken the 30mg dose twice then cut it back myself because of increasing breathlessness to 20mg again,...I ...