Review: could Methotrexate cause Tooth infection (Tooth abscess)?
Summary: Tooth infection is found among people who take Methotrexate, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Enbrel, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 129,925 people who have side effects while taking Methotrexate from FDA and social media. Among them, 467 have Tooth infection. Find out below who they are, when they have Tooth infection and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Tooth infection >>>
Methotrexate has active ingredients of methotrexate sodium. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 131,267 Methotrexate users)
Tooth infection (pus formation in tooth) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteopenia, metastases to bone, multiple myeloma. (latest reports from 10,793 Tooth infection patients)
On Apr, 3, 2015: 129,908 people reported to have side effects when taking Methotrexate. Among them, 467 people (0.36%) have Tooth Infection.
Time on Methotrexate when people have Tooth infection * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Tooth infection||7.69%||3.85%||0.00%||34.62%||19.23%||15.38%||19.23% |
Gender of people who have Tooth infection when taking Methotrexate * :
|Tooth infection||82.28%||17.72% |
Age of people who have Tooth infection when taking Methotrexate * :
|Tooth infection||0.00%||0.26%||0.00%||0.77%||2.81%||15.82%||37.50%||42.86% |
Severity of Tooth infection when taking Methotrexate ** :
How people recovered from Tooth infection ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (268 people, 57.39%)
- Osteoporosis (53 people, 11.35%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (38 people, 8.14%)
- Pain (33 people, 7.07%)
- Psoriatic arthropathy (33 people, 7.07%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Enbrel (224 people, 47.97%)
- Folic acid (150 people, 32.12%)
- Prednisone (121 people, 25.91%)
- Humira (91 people, 19.49%)
- Zometa (75 people, 16.06%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of methotrexate and tooth infection on
Do you have Tooth Infection while taking Methotrexate?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Tooth Infection
- support group for people who take Methotrexate
- support group for people who have Tooth Infection
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Methotrexate for a 48-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Pain - Joints
- A study of drug interactions between Folic Acid, Orencia, Methotrexate for a 45-year old woman with Arthritis - Rheumatoid. The patient has Joint Stiffness
- A study of drug interactions between Remicade, Methotrexate for a 47-year old woman with Sarcoidosis. The patient has Burning Eyes, Burning Eyes, Shortness Of Breath, Painful Respiration
- A study of drug interactions between Humira, Folic Acid, Methotrexate for a 71-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Depression, Skin Graft, Eyes - Yellow, Fatigue, Nausea And Vomiting, Confusional State, Tremor
- A study of side effects of Methotrexate for a 55-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Diarrhoea
Recent Methotrexate related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Azathioprine, Humira, Enbrel, Sulfadiazine, Methotrexate for a 42-year old woman who has Psoriatic Arthritis
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Furosemide for a 55-year old man who has Arthritis
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Aloe Vera Gel for a 64-year old woman who has Arthritis
- Comparions of Arava, Methotrexate, Humira, Remicade for a 55-year old woman who has Seronegative Arthritis
- Comparions of Prednisone, Folic Acid, Methotrexate for a 64-year old man who has Tenosynovitis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.