Review: could Metronidazole cause Abdominal pain?
Summary: Abdominal pain is found among people who take Metronidazole, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Omeprazole, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 13,079 people who have side effects while taking Metronidazole from FDA and social media. Among them, 583 have Abdominal pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Abdominal pain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metronidazole and have Abdominal pain >>>
Metronidazole has active ingredients of metronidazole. It is often used in vaginitis bacterial. (latest outcomes from 13,931 Metronidazole users)
Abdominal pain has been reported by people with birth control, crohn's disease, high blood pressure, pain, depression. (latest reports from 107,282 Abdominal pain patients)
On Apr, 14, 2015: 13,079 people reported to have side effects when taking Metronidazole. Among them, 720 people (5.51%) have Abdominal Pain.
Time on Metronidazole when people have Abdominal pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Abdominal pain||96.92%||1.54%||0.00%||0.00%||1.54%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Abdominal pain when taking Metronidazole * :
|Abdominal pain||0.31%||1.22%||7.03%||8.41%||13.00%||26.61%||18.65%||24.77% |
Severity of Abdominal pain when taking Metronidazole ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Abdominal pain||0.00%||50.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Abdominal pain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Abdominal pain||50.00%||0.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (46 people, 6.39%)
- Urinary tract infection (43 people, 5.97%)
- Contraception (39 people, 5.42%)
- Crohn's disease (38 people, 5.28%)
- Prophylaxis (36 people, 5.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Omeprazole (143 people, 19.86%)
- Cephalexin (139 people, 19.31%)
- Zometa (115 people, 15.97%)
- Ciprofloxacin (112 people, 15.56%)
- Fluconazole (111 people, 15.42%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metronidazole and abdominal pain on
Do you have Abdominal Pain while taking Metronidazole?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metronidazole and have Abdominal Pain
- support group for people who take Metronidazole
- support group for people who have Abdominal Pain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Adderall 30 for a 21-year old woman with ADHD. The patient has Abdominal Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Fluticasone Propionate, Omeprazole for a 50-year old woman with Sinus Headache, Ulcer - Stomach. The patient has Stomach Pain, Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Zopiclone, Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Bisacodyl, Sertraline, Gabapentin, Morphine, Morphine Sulfate for a 42-year old woman with Ulcer - Stomach, Insomnia, Fibromyalgia, Constipation, Depression, Degenerative Joint Disease. The patient has Confusion, Blurred Vision, Constipation, Toothaches, Tooth Decay, Depression, Dizziness Exertional, Muscular Weakness, Itching, Eczema Exacerbated, Neck Pain, Headache, Tooth Loss, Recurrent Leg Pain And Cramping, Loss Of Sensation, Numbness And Tingling, Paresthesias, Sensory Loss, Tingling And Numbness, Fatigue - Chronic, Weight Gain, Food Hoarding, Food Craving, Abdominal Bloating, Ocular Migraine, Stomach Pain, Bedwetting
- A study of drug interactions between Azo Gantanol, Adderall Xr 30 for a 20-year old woman with Frequent Or Urgent Urination, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The patient has Abdominal Pain, Hirsutism, Urgent Urination, Frequent Or Urgent Urination
- A study of drug interactions between Sinemet, Azilect for a 66-year old man with Parkinson's Disease. The patient has Pain - Shoulder, Pain - Abdomen
Recent Metronidazole related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.