Review: could Metronidazole cause Diarrhea?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 11, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.6/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 12,932 people who take Metronidazole. Among them, 803 have Diarrhea. See who they are, when they have Diarrhea and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Metronidazole (latest outcomes from 13,866 users) has active ingredients of metronidazole. It is often used in vaginitis bacterial, infection. Commonly reported side effects of Metronidazole include fever, pain exacerbated, pain, nausea, nausea aggravated.
Diarrhea (latest reports from 1,081,380 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, pain, rheumatoid arthritis, acupuncture and pain, pain relief by acupuncture.
On Mar, 11, 2014: 12,932 people reported to have side effects when taking Metronidazole. Among them, 803 people (6.21%) have Diarrhea. They amount to 0.07% of all the 1,078,465 people who have Diarrhea.
Time on Metronidazole when people have Diarrhea * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Diarrhea when taking Metronidazole * :
Severity of Diarrhea when taking Metronidazole ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Diarrhea ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (74 people, 9.22%)
- Pain (60 people, 7.47%)
- Breast cancer (48 people, 5.98%)
- Diarrhoea (47 people, 5.85%)
- Depression (41 people, 5.11%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Fluconazole (134 people, 16.69%)
- Potassium chloride (114 people, 14.20%)
- Dexamethasone (110 people, 13.70%)
- Aspirin (105 people, 13.08%)
- Acetaminophen (105 people, 13.08%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Metronidazole, Diarrhea
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Metronidazole (metronidazole) is often used for vaginitis bacterial. Find out below the conditions Metronidazole is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Metronidazole used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Metronidazole side effects from A to Z:
Browse Metronidazole drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 years ago):
Symptoms worsened as therapy continued. Prescribed 500mg x 3 daily for 10 days for possible c-diff.
From this study (2 years ago):
I didn't know whether to call a doctor or an ambulance and just thought I need to get the drugs out of my system I felt like I'd been poisoned.
From this study (4 years ago):
I am just worried about the swelling. It is not listed as a side effect. What should I do?
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Metronidazole, Diarrhea
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Flagl helped my depression
After taking Flagl for two weeks (Two per day) My depression vanished. It is now three months since I had a depression episode. Thank God for the doctor who prescribed it he saved my life. Thank you Flagl
- Too much sleep/sleeping past 12+ hours
Caused me to sleep and to the point where I slept 12+ hours and still didn't want to wake up
- Isoniazid: the downside continued
I also have extreme fatigue. I can sleep 8 hours and then take a 4 hour nap. I have dizziness which seems to be increasing in the last few weeks. I have nausea on and off. I have diarrhea in the morning 45 minutes after taking it. Then I am mostly constipated for the rest of the day. It seems ...
More reviews for: Metronidazole, Diarrhea
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of side effects of Metronidazole for a patient with Clostridium Difficile Colitis. The patient has Anorexia (eating disorder characterized by immoderate food restriction and irrational fear of gaining weight), Diarrhea, Vertigo, Confusion, Short-term Memory Loss, Agitated Depression, Metastases To Mouth (cancer spreads to mouth)
- A study of side effects of Metronidazole for a patient with Infection. The patient has Nausea And Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Neck Stiffness, Sinus Headache (headache caused by sinus infections), Chills (felling of cold), Sore Throat Nos (pain or irritation of the throat), Anxiety
- A study of side effects of Flagyl for a patient with Trichomoniasis. The patient has Swelling Face, Swelling Of Feet And Legs, Swelling Of Fingers, Swelling, Biopsy Stomach, Diarrhoea, Stomach Pain, Dizziness, Itching, Itching
More related studies for: Metronidazole, Diarrhea
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.