Review: could Metronidazole cause Diarrhea?
Summary: Diarrhea is found among people who take Metronidazole, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Fluconazole, and have High blood pressure.
We study 13,079 people who have side effects while taking Metronidazole from FDA and social media. Among them, 804 have Diarrhea. Find out below who they are, when they have Diarrhea and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metronidazole and have Diarrhea >>>
Metronidazole has active ingredients of metronidazole. It is often used in vaginitis bacterial. (latest outcomes from 13,931 Metronidazole users)
Diarrhea has been reported by people with high blood pressure, pain, depression, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis. (latest reports from 139,378 Diarrhea patients)
On Apr, 14, 2015: 13,079 people reported to have side effects when taking Metronidazole. Among them, 804 people (6.15%) have Diarrhea.
Time on Metronidazole when people have Diarrhea * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Diarrhea when taking Metronidazole * :
Severity of Diarrhea when taking Metronidazole ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Diarrhea ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (74 people, 9.20%)
- Pain (60 people, 7.46%)
- Breast cancer (48 people, 5.97%)
- Diarrhoea (47 people, 5.85%)
- Depression (41 people, 5.10%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Fluconazole (134 people, 16.67%)
- Potassium chloride (114 people, 14.18%)
- Dexamethasone (110 people, 13.68%)
- Aspirin (105 people, 13.06%)
- Acetaminophen (105 people, 13.06%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metronidazole and diarrhea on
Do you have Diarrhea while taking Metronidazole?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metronidazole and have Diarrhea
- support group for people who take Metronidazole
- support group for people who have Diarrhea
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Prozac for a 19-year old girl with Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Diarrhea
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a 22-year old woman with Inflammation. The patient has Weight Below Normal, Joint Pain, Diarrhea, Fatigue - Chronic, Rash Erythematous
- A study of side effects of Bactrim for a 35-year old woman with Infection - Ear. The patient has Diarrhea
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Amlodipine Besylate, Nexium for a 55-year old woman with Pain, High Blood Pressure, Acid Reflux. The patient has Increased Thirst, Dry Skin, Diarrhea, Skin Rash, Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide for a 42-year old woman with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Diarrhea
Recent Metronidazole related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.