Metronidazole and Diarrhea - from FDA reports
Diarrhea is found among people who take Metronidazole, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Fluconazole, and have High blood pressure. This review analyzes which people have Diarrhea with Metronidazole. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 22,502 people who have side effects when taking Metronidazole from FDA, and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Jul, 22, 2017
22,502 people reported to have side effects when taking Metronidazole.
Among them, 1,466 people (6.51%) have Diarrhea
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Metronidazole when people have Diarrhea *:
- < 1 month: 94.19 %
- 1 - 6 months: 5.52 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.29 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Diarrhea when taking Metronidazole *:
- female: 65.62 %
- male: 34.38 %
Age of people who have Diarrhea when taking Metronidazole *:
- 0-1: 0.79 %
- 2-9: 1.03 %
- 10-19: 3.5 %
- 20-29: 5.09 %
- 30-39: 8.43 %
- 40-49: 14.63 %
- 50-59: 18.76 %
- 60+: 47.77 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- High Blood Pressure (105 people, 7.16%)
- Pain (90 people, 6.14%)
- Multiple Myeloma (75 people, 5.12%)
- Preventive Health Care (64 people, 4.37%)
- Nausea (60 people, 4.09%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Fluconazole (150 people, 10.23%)
- Dexamethasone (123 people, 8.39%)
- Furosemide (118 people, 8.05%)
- Zometa (112 people, 7.64%)
- Acetaminophen (109 people, 7.44%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Nausea (378 people, 25.78%)
- Nausea And Vomiting (328 people, 22.37%)
- Abdominal Pain (230 people, 15.69%)
- Pain (228 people, 15.55%)
- Weakness (225 people, 15.35%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Diarrhea when taking Metronidazole?
Metronidazole has active ingredients of metronidazole. It is often used in vaginitis bacterial. (latest outcomes from Metronidazole 23,108 users)
Diarrhea has been reported by people with high blood pressure, crohn's disease, multiple sclerosis, multiple myeloma, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 288,392 Diarrhea patients).