Review: could Metronidazole cause Ibs (Irritable bowel syndrome)?
Summary: Ibs is found among people who take Metronidazole, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Protonix, and have Hyperlipidaemia.
We study 13,061 people who have side effects while taking Metronidazole from FDA and social media. Among them, 40 have Ibs. Find out below who they are, when they have Ibs and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Metronidazole and have Ibs >>>
Metronidazole has active ingredients of metronidazole. It is often used in vaginitis bacterial. (latest outcomes from Metronidazole 13,917 users)
Ibs (irritable bowel syndrome -chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating) has been reported by people with acne, osteoporosis, depression, osteopenia, high blood pressure.(latest reports from Ibs 14,811 patients)
On Dec, 15, 2014: 13,061 people reported to have side effects when taking Metronidazole. Among them, 40 people (0.31%) have Ibs.
Time on Metronidazole when people have Ibs * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Ibs when taking Metronidazole * :
Severity of Ibs when taking Metronidazole ** :
How people recovered from Ibs ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hyperlipidaemia (3 people, 7.50%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (3 people, 7.50%)
- Infection (3 people, 7.50%)
- Atrial flutter (3 people, 7.50%)
- Impaired gastric emptying (2 people, 5.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Protonix (18 people, 45.00%)
- Lipitor (15 people, 37.50%)
- Zometa (15 people, 37.50%)
- Amoxicillin (13 people, 32.50%)
- Femara (12 people, 30.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Ibs while taking Metronidazole?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Metronidazole and have Ibs
- support group for people who take Metronidazole
- support group for people who have Ibs
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Has anyone had lasting anxiety from taking linzess?
(Asked by a 61 year old man who has IBS, and takes Linzess)
Felt slight edginess and nervousness occurred while taking Linzess for 3 weeks (145mcg). I stopped taking it a month ago due this side effect, but upon discontinuation, the slight edginess turned into severe anxiety which is now causing high blood pressure.
Has anyone experienced this?
- Looking for other testimonies who have had more severe side effects than those listed from taking metronidazole & alcohol?
(Asked by a 30 year old man who has Nausea, Vomiting, Out Of Head As If Totally Drunk, and takes Metronidazole)
Had 4 beers over 4 hour period on last day of taking Metronidazole. Was vomiting & basically acting totally out of character as in wild & argumentative - similar to being bad drunk. Went to sleep & woke up with basically no memory of what happened.
- My mom is 88. she takes lexapro in the evening. she wakes up hallucinating. it's starting to get to her. what should i try for her?
(Asked by a 88 year old woman who has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Atrial Fibrillation, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Dementia (controlled), and takes Multivitamin, Lipitor, Claritin, Allopurinol, Diltiazem Hydrochloride, Namenda Xr, Aricept, Dicyclomine Hydrochloride, Bystolic, Lexapro)
My mom has been taking Lexapro for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. She was taking it in the morning and her therapist felt it was making her drowsy. I began giving it to her before bed, and I believe that is when she started waking up during the night with hallucinations. I'm not sure if they are vivid ...
- Is it possible to receive medical marijuana if you have spina bifida and controllable ibs?
(Asked by a 18 year old boy who has IBS, Spina Bifida )
i need help figuring out the best pain relieving drug for my conditions. please respond if any information
- Is it my thyroid or am i mentally ill? diagnosed w/ hashimoto's thyroiditis but untreated - chronic pain unmanaged also (2 answers)
(Asked by a 54 year old woman who has Spondylosis, Autoimmune Disorder, Asthma Late Onset, Migraine, Degenerative Joint Disease, Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, Facet Joint Syndrome, Sacroiliitis, Diverticulosis, PTSD, IBS, Traumatic Brain Injury, Pelvic Congestion, Fibromyalgia, Interstitial Cystitis (IC), Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and takes Albuterol Sulfate, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Maxalt, Oxycodone And Acetaminophen, Oxycontin, Alvesco, Levothyroxine Thyroid)
I moved to OR from HI and brought all my records, signed releases, and had many diagnoses, all but the thyroid, was being treated and long-term. I also took Oxycontin & Oxycodone for severe chronic pain from bilateral SI joint fusion (right screw protrudes & leg also becomes numb and weak with acti ...
More questions for: Metronidazole, Ibs
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Tingling feet and hands
(Posted by a 28 year old woman who has Tingling And Numbness, Tingling And Numbness In Feet, and takes Flagyl)
I have used flagyl 3 times and after stopping the use of this medication my feet and hands have became so tingly and itchy That its becoming unbearable.
- Headache after propofol
(Posted by a 61 year old woman who has IBS, and takes Propofol)
Was given Propofol while having Colonoscopy and Endoscopy. Severe headache in evening and following day.
- Atrial fib and ibs, is there a connection?
(Posted by a 89 year old woman who has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Atrial Fibrillation, and takes Pradaxa, Multaq)
I felt wonderful, after a good night sleep and a nice breakfast. Took my heart medicine. Took off for an hour shopping and the A-Fib began with a vengeance and lasted five hours.
During the time, interestingly, I had continuous IBS. If I had not used butter (an IBS trigger) on my toast that morni ...
- How an integrative wellness approach cured me of insomnia, ibs, and more (1 response)
(Posted by a 47 year old woman who has Fatigue, Sinusitis Acute, Itching, Cognitive Deterioration, Psoriasis, Anxiety, Restless Leg Syndrome, Frequent Headaches, Nasal Inflammation, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Chronic Insomnia, and takes Levothyroxine Thyroid, Clonazepam, Ambien Cr)
For 10+ years, I suffered with insomnia and a host of other problems including intestinal distress, headaches, psoriasis, anxiety, cognitive issues, hypothyroid, chronic itching, restless leg, etc. Traditional medicine, aka taking drugs, was not working to heal me. Since childhood, I’ve had IBS, h ...
- Spiriva caused me to swell up like a hippo.
(Posted by a 46 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and takes Advair Diskus 250/50, Methotrexate, Plaquenil, Metformin, Klonopin, Zanaflex, Prednisone, Singulair, Imitrex, Nexium)
My Doctor prescribed spiriva to help me breathe due to asthma/cold. I never smoked but my parents and friends were heavy smokers. I used the spiriva 3 times. Once a day for 3 days then I started swelling in my ankles and the swelling continued until my face, hands arms... basically I was so swollen ...
More reviews for: Metronidazole, Ibs
- A study of drug interactions between Sodium Sulfacetamide, Metrogel, Fish Oil, Biotin, Zanaflex, Zoloft for a patient with Rosacea, Just To Be Helpful, For Hair Loss And Thinning.wasnt Suggested/prescribed By Doctor., Muscle Spasms In Neck , Bulging Discs, Stenosis. Only Use Sparingly, Not Much At All., Depression. The patient has Dizziness, Hair Thinning, Loss Of Hair
Comments: *I have noticed breakage of hair.Trying to use coconut and olive oil for hair.Not used on scalp.
*I first noticed thinning after using selenium face wash.I was told I could use it on my scalp. But I looked online and saw that it could cause hairloss. I quit using it after a few tries on my face ...
- A study of side effects of Flagyl for a patient with Proctitis. The patient has Pain In The Left Side Abdomen,gas And A Need To Always Have A Bowel Movement
Comments: I was a smoker of marijuana and cigarettes for almost 8 years.. Sometimes I have blood in my stools, red blood traces in stools, a need to always have a bowel movement, cramps in my left side abdomen, bean like coffee beans in my stools,bad breath.. The doctor did a colonoscopy and found proctitis l ...
- A study of side effects of Metronidazole for a patient with Vaginitis Bacterial. The patient has Vaginitis Bacterial (inflammation of the vagina caused by bacterial infection)
Comments: After using the metronidazole gel for a week, I noticed I developed chelitis on my lips. I also noticed I had some acne breakouts and now I have something on my waistline that itches and hurts. I am afraid it is either herpes or shingles. not sure. during the BV I had a herpes break out on my bu ...
- A study of side effects of Metronidazole for a patient with Swollen Gums. The patient has Amoxicillin
Comments: I am type 2 diabetic on novomix 30 58ml morning before breakast and before dinner in the evening have had surgery to remove teeth and implants being given metronidazole 400mg 3 times a day plus amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day blood sugar level this morning was 8.9 but has risen to 25.9 this evening ...
- A study of drug interactions between Clotrimazole, Metronidazole for a patient with Thrush, Vaginitis Bacterial. The patient has Cystitis-like Symptom, Urinary Tract Infection Viral
Comments: Used for the first time 1 clotrimazole pessary, clotrimazole 1% external cream, metronidazole tablets. Within an hour cystitis pains had set in, blood present in urine, frequent urination. Symptoms subsided after 7 hours. Continued use of tablets and did not remove pessary and was fine. Used cream a ...
More related studies for: Metronidazole, Ibs
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.