Review: could Metronidazole cause Ibs (Irritable bowel syndrome)?
Summary: Ibs is found among people who take Metronidazole, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Protonix, and have Hyperlipidaemia.
We study 13,079 people who have side effects while taking Metronidazole from FDA and social media. Among them, 40 have Ibs. Find out below who they are, when they have Ibs and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metronidazole and have Ibs >>>
Metronidazole has active ingredients of metronidazole. It is often used in vaginitis bacterial. (latest outcomes from 13,931 Metronidazole users)
Ibs (irritable bowel syndrome -chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating) has been reported by people with acne, osteoporosis, depression, osteopenia, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 15,635 Ibs patients)
On Mar, 28, 2015: 13,078 people reported to have side effects when taking Metronidazole. Among them, 40 people (0.31%) have Ibs.
Time on Metronidazole when people have Ibs * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Ibs when taking Metronidazole * :
Severity of Ibs when taking Metronidazole ** :
How people recovered from Ibs ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hyperlipidaemia (3 people, 7.50%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (3 people, 7.50%)
- Infection (3 people, 7.50%)
- Atrial flutter (3 people, 7.50%)
- Impaired gastric emptying (2 people, 5.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Protonix (18 people, 45.00%)
- Lipitor (15 people, 37.50%)
- Zometa (15 people, 37.50%)
- Amoxicillin (13 people, 32.50%)
- Femara (12 people, 30.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metronidazole and ibs on
Do you have Ibs while taking Metronidazole?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metronidazole and have Ibs
- support group for people who take Metronidazole
- support group for people who have Ibs
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Recent Metronidazole related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Cefaclor, Metronidazole, Doxycycline, Codeine, Ferrous Fumarate for a 46-year old woman who has Tubo-ovarian Abscess
- Comparions of Nitroglycerin, Aspirin, Flagyl, Atenolol, Simvastatin for a 36-year old woman who has Infection
- Comparions of Metronidazole, Mobic for a 62-year old woman who has Inflammation Localised
- Comparions of Hydroxyurea, Metronidazole for a 36-year old man who has Leukemia
- Comparions of Danazol, Flagyl for a 68-year old woman who has Postoperative Adhesion
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.