Review: could Metronidazole cause Nausea and vomiting?
Summary: Nausea and vomiting is found among people who take Metronidazole, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Acetaminophen, and have Pain.
We study 13,061 people who have side effects while taking Metronidazole from FDA and social media. Among them, 700 have Nausea and vomiting. Find out below who they are, when they have Nausea and vomiting and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Metronidazole and have Nausea and vomiting >>>
Metronidazole has active ingredients of metronidazole. It is often used in vaginitis bacterial. (latest outcomes from Metronidazole 13,917 users)
Nausea and vomiting
Nausea and vomiting has been reported by people with high blood pressure, pain, type 2 diabetes, depression, multiple sclerosis.(latest reports from Nausea and vomiting 141,518 patients)
On Nov, 28, 2014: 13,061 people reported to have side effects when taking Metronidazole. Among them, 700 people (5.36%) have Nausea And Vomiting.
Time on Metronidazole when people have Nausea and vomiting * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Nausea and vomiting||98.28%||0.57%||0.57%||0.00%||0.57%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Nausea and vomiting when taking Metronidazole * :
|Nausea and vomiting||0.15%||2.28%||5.77%||11.23%||8.65%||10.62%||22.91%||38.39% |
Severity of Nausea and vomiting when taking Metronidazole ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Nausea and vomiting||10.00%||50.00%||30.00%||10.00% |
How people recovered from Nausea and vomiting ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Nausea and vomiting||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (98 people, 14.00%)
- Depression (95 people, 13.57%)
- Hypertension (89 people, 12.71%)
- Metastases to bone (49 people, 7.00%)
- Prophylaxis (46 people, 6.57%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Acetaminophen (137 people, 19.57%)
- Ciprofloxacin (127 people, 18.14%)
- Fluconazole (99 people, 14.14%)
- Levaquin (98 people, 14.00%)
- Omeprazole (83 people, 11.86%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Nausea And Vomiting while taking Metronidazole?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Metronidazole and have Nausea And Vomiting
- support group for people who take Metronidazole
- support group for people who have Nausea And Vomiting
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is vomiting all liquids common while taking morphine
I Recently started taking 6mg of Hydro-Morphine per day for pain. Every time i take the drug i vomit up any liquids I drink. i fell just fine without anything in my stomach but as soon as i eat or drink I instantly become nauseated and vomit everything. It is hard not to drink because the drug is making me very thirsty. So i try to drink and my body rejects it over and over again.. this goes on for hours (3-5)because i am sooo thirsty that I can not stop drinking.
- Looking for other testimonies who have had more severe side effects than those listed from taking metronidazole & alcohol?
Had 4 beers over 4 hour period on last day of taking Metronidazole. Was vomiting & basically acting totally out of character as in wild & argumentative - similar to being bad drunk. Went to sleep & woke up with basically no memory of what happened.
- My dr. prescribed me phergan. how common is weight gain on this drug?
A Dr. prescribed me Phenergan and Potassium CL ER today. I read online that Phenergan can cause weight gain. Have any of you been on Phenergan, and if so have you experiences any weight gain or other symptoms I should be made aware of? Thank you in advance.
- Lamicta side effect nausa and vomiting after years of takin it for bi-polar (1 answer)
I been taking Lamictal for a couple of years. With no side effects. Presently I starter having nausea, and dry heaves ,
I went to the specialist they run test for stomach hernia, etc etc. they did not find any thing wrong. Today I noatice I experience nausea after taking Lamictal I experience dry heaves attacks. Nausea and vomiting is a side effect of Lamicta in a very small percentage of people. Has anybody suffer nausea and vomiting after taking Lamictal for a log period of time but not in the beginning?
Sorry about the English. English is my second language Thank you
- What to do when one take 20 dose of propranolol 40mg?
a normal person take 20 doses of propranolol 40 mg at a single time. now vomiting and dizziness are the conditions
More questions for: Metronidazole, Nausea and vomiting
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Tingling feet and hands
I have used flagyl 3 times and after stopping the use of this medication my feet and hands have became so tingly and itchy That its becoming unbearable.
- Nausea and vomiting while taking savella
I have been on Savella for 6 months now and the nausea has increased with time and now I also have vomiting daily along with occasional diarrhea. I am currently weaning off of the Savella, cutting the dosage in half for two weeks and then one pill every other day for two weeks, following my dr.'s instructions. I have three weeks total left and still have the nausea and vomiting but hopeful that these will start to go away soon. Anyone else who has weaned off of it- how long until your symptoms subsided?
- Farxiga ? problems, stomach, smell, taste
I have been on Farxiga for 2 months. First, I was on Farxiga 5mg, About 6 weeks ago changed to 10 mg, about same time I noticed my coffee smelled different and bad, kept on a week and asked my wife. Changed coffee brand twice. It got worse, began to taste it. For the last week I can smell it in my food, anything fresh out of microwave. Now I smell it in my bowel movement. I called Doctor earlier in week reported. He wants to wait about a week and call back if persists. I am a diabetic and first few days this helped. Doctor reduced my insulin and got me off glimepiride and my Sugar readings have been higher since such as 175-200. This is my only medicine change close to time period. Please respond with help or if you experience similar problems.
- Poisened by fenofibrate
it started in Apr. 2013. I would eat and get sick to my stomach. I would have severe shooting pains in my stomach area. My bowels were loose and would stay that way. Or at times I would just be nauseated for no apparent reason. My mouth got dry and I began having dizzy spells. Those last two symptoms mostly went away except for the dizziness which would only happen if I bent over. By July it was hard to look at food at all. This went on for an entire year, every day. The VA, which was taking care of me, diagnosed me with a bad gall bladder. It was finally taken out in Sept. Unfortunately it did me no good.
On March 20, 2014, I took myself off this medication. Five days later the symptoms started to lift.
- Buspirone and biotin
I took only 1 10,000Mcg biotin capsule and 1 buspirone (sorry to not have dosage) at roughly the sAme time (aprx 2pm).later that night, I felt severe anxiety and a giant ” knot” in my chest causing difficulty breathing. Few hours passed then I began to feel a sharp throbbing pain in left side and lower abdomen almost coming in waves leading up to violent vomiting. Never again.
More reviews for: Metronidazole, Nausea and vomiting
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- *I have noticed breakage of hair.Trying to use coconut and olive oil for hair.Not used on scalp.
*I first noticed thinning after using selenium face wash.I was told I could use it on my scalp. But I looked online and saw that it could cause hairloss. I quit using it after a few tries on my face ...
- I was a smoker of marijuana and cigarettes for almost 8 years.. Sometimes I have blood in my stools, red blood traces in stools, a need to always have a bowel movement, cramps in my left side abdomen, bean like coffee beans in my stools,bad breath.. The doctor did a colonoscopy and found proctitis l ...
- severe nausea and vomiting when take aleve for arthritus/joint pain, no longer take aleve, take advil instead. never experienced nausea and vomiting while taking wellbutrin and occaisionally taking advil for pain
- After using the metronidazole gel for a week, I noticed I developed chelitis on my lips. I also noticed I had some acne breakouts and now I have something on my waistline that itches and hurts. I am afraid it is either herpes or shingles. not sure. during the BV I had a herpes break out on my bu ...
- Generally happens every couple of mnths has now moved to mnthly and las two episodes were within 2 weeks of each other. Oct 12-13& oct31-nov 1. I believe pain to be mittleschmirtz the hot flashes and vomiting just started within the last year.
More related studies for: Metronidazole, Nausea and vomiting
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.