Review: could Minoxidil cause Dementia?
Summary: Dementia is found among people who take Minoxidil, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, also take medication Norvasc, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 2,810 people who have side effects while taking Minoxidil from FDA and social media. Among them, 13 have Dementia. Find out below who they are, when they have Dementia and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Minoxidil and have Dementia >>>
Minoxidil has active ingredients of minoxidil. It is often used in hair loss. (latest outcomes from Minoxidil 2,894 users)
Dementia (madness) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, depression, multiple sclerosis, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Dementia 12,421 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 2,810 people reported to have side effects when taking Minoxidil. Among them, 13 people (0.46%) have Dementia.
Time on Minoxidil when people have Dementia * :
Age of people who have Dementia when taking Minoxidil * :
Severity of Dementia when taking Minoxidil ** :
How people recovered from Dementia ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (3 people, 23.08%)
- Ill-defined disorder (2 people, 15.38%)
- Sleep disorder (2 people, 15.38%)
- Arthritis (2 people, 15.38%)
- Convulsion (1 people, 7.69%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Norvasc (9 people, 69.23%)
- Neurontin (9 people, 69.23%)
- Atenolol (8 people, 61.54%)
- Dexamethasone (8 people, 61.54%)
- Furosemide (8 people, 61.54%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Dementia while taking Minoxidil?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Minoxidil and have Dementia
- support group for people who take Minoxidil
- support group for people who have Dementia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Any reports on side effects from using topical minoxidil such as vertigo and severe joint paiin
(Asked by a 60 year old woman who has Dizziness (excl Vertigo) And Joint Pain, and takes Minoxidil)
Had used the topical solution of minoxidil, rogaine for about 8-9 months , did not regrow hair, but since then I've been experiencing severe joint aches on feet, knees,arms,neck and shoulders. Also severe vertigo dizziness when I first lie down. I do to be honest have had a problem with back and sho ...
- Did you use minoxidol 2% before being diagnosed with breast cancer
(Asked by a 73 year old woman who has Breast Cancer Diagnosis Stage 2 2010, Hair Thinning - Aging, and takes Rogaine, Diazepam)
I am wondering whether there is a relationship between the use of tranquillizers for 35 years and Rogaine for about 15 years. I only use the Rogaine 2% once in the morning and diazepam 5 mg as needed. I have generalized anxiety disorder. Diagnosed and treated for breast cancer type 2 in 2010... stil ...
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus & metoclopramide (1 answer)
(Asked by a 87 year old woman who has Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus, GERD, Dementia, Hypertension, Fractured Hip, Reflux Esophagitis, and takes Metoclopramide, Remeron, Lisinopril, Aricept, Oxycodone Hydrochloride)
My Mom while recovering from a hip fracture in a rehab center was given Metoclopramide for 2 days when she suddenly (about 2-3 hours after her dose of metoclopramide at lunch time) became completely disoriented,lethargic and could not speak. She could barely swallow, and could not drink liquids even ...
- Does aricept shorten life expectancy? i am a 61 year old women with mild dementia.
(Asked by a 61 year old woman who has Dementia, and takes Aricept)
I have rcently been diagnosed with mild dementia and have been started on a low dose of aricept (25 mg daily). Will it shorten my life expectancy at all? Is there any research?
- I have an enlarged prostate is rogain bad for my prostate
(Asked by a 61 year old man who has Enlarged Prostate, and takes Minoxidil)
I just started using Rogain and have noticed a reduction in urine flow
More questions for: Minoxidil, Dementia
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- 5 years on rogaine use
(Posted by a 34 year old man who has Melanoma, and takes Rogaine)
Im uncertain if any connection but I have been using Rogaine Foam for approx 5 years and early last year i developed a Melanoma directly in the area of use.
I am curious to see if many others have had similar experiences.
For the record my yearly checkup caught the Melanoma early and it was re ...
- Minoxidil (vesicular eczema)
(Posted by a 43 year old man who has Vesicular Eczema, and takes Minoxidil)
I began using topical Minoxidil and noticed about one month later small round fluid filled blisters on one finger on my left hand. The blisters were tender and I felt relief when I popped them. The skin inside was tender for a few days until it dried out. Then I developed the same blisters on one fi ...
- Happened to me- allergic reaction to rogaine
(Posted by a 40 year old woman who has Anaphylactic Reaction, and takes Rogaine)
Within the first week of usage, I began to have leg cramps, facial swelling, tightness of breath, chest pain, anxiety, and chronic headaches. Even with allergy medicines and aspirin, nothing seemed to help. At first, I felt it was though it was just simple allergies until I woke up one morning with ...
More reviews for: Minoxidil, Dementia
- A study of drug interactions between Minoxidil, Clonazepam, Ritalin for a patient with Loss Of Hair, Insomnia, Ple. The patient has Fear Of Crowded Places, Anxiety
Comments: It has been almost two months that abovementoined symptoms have occurred. I am, particularly at night, afraid that if I make sound, people or neighbours may become upset. When I hear something, even the sound of elevator, I jump and think that they are coming to warn me that I did something that dis ...
- A study of side effects of Rogaine for a patient with Loss Of Hair. The patient has Hair Loss
Comments: Sebum plugs on scalp,eyebrows,eyelashes,facial hair and all over non facialhair areas such as nose and forehead. The sebum plugs causes My hair to fallout and no visibel regrowth is occuring. My face is really oily and I have flakes/dandruff all over My face. No dandruff on My scalp. This all occure ...
- A study of side effects of Oxybutynin Chloride for a patient with Incontinence. The patient has Dementia With Lewy Bodies (progressive degenerative disease or syndrome of the brain), Dementia (madness)
Comments: I lost my home as I had to move - could not care for myself. Could no longer drive without accidents. Had to move in with son in another state. Very traumatic!!!!! My property was picked apart and taken from me by many hands!!
- A study of drug interactions between Lopressor, Zithromax, Rocephin for a patient with Arrhythmia, Pneumonia Fungal. The patient has Dementia
Comments: Diagnosed with pneumonia and did take prednisone for two days. Became agitated and confused. Removed from prednisone because lungs sounded clearer but still experiencing hallucinations and some confusion. Still doing breathing treatments.
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Vitamin C, Prednisone, Furosemide, Oxycontin, MS Contin for a patient with Vitamin D Deficiency, Health, Sarcoidosis, Fluid Retention. The patient has Chronic Brain Syndrome, Fatigue - Chronic, Depression, Anger
Comments: During the past five years all of my relationships have become strained and most are currently non-existent. I have occasional outbursts where I become extremely angry and often scream and yell at those around me. I am also, and have been, for ten or more years very emotional, crying at the slight ...
More related studies for: Minoxidil, Dementia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.