Review: could Minoxidil cause Hirsutism (Excessive or unwanted hair in women)?
Summary: Hirsutism is found among people who take Minoxidil, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Accutane, and have Alopecia.
We study 2,810 people who have side effects while taking Minoxidil from FDA and social media. Among them, 37 have Hirsutism. Find out below who they are, when they have Hirsutism and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Minoxidil and have Hirsutism >>>
Minoxidil has active ingredients of minoxidil. It is often used in hair loss. (latest outcomes from Minoxidil 2,894 users)
Hirsutism (abnormal growth of hair on a person's face and body, esp. on a woman) has been reported by people with birth control, high blood pressure, epilepsy, accidental exposure, osteoporosis.(latest reports from Hirsutism 1,951 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 2,808 people reported to have side effects when taking Minoxidil. Among them, 37 people (1.32%) have Hirsutism.
Time on Minoxidil when people have Hirsutism * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Hirsutism when taking Minoxidil * :
Severity of Hirsutism when taking Minoxidil ** :
How people recovered from Hirsutism ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Alopecia (11 people, 29.73%)
- Insomnia (7 people, 18.92%)
- Hypothyroidism (6 people, 16.22%)
- Nervousness (4 people, 10.81%)
- Depression (4 people, 10.81%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Accutane (11 people, 29.73%)
- Synthroid (8 people, 21.62%)
- Zopiclone (7 people, 18.92%)
- Serzone (4 people, 10.81%)
- Chondroitin (4 people, 10.81%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hirsutism while taking Minoxidil?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Minoxidil and have Hirsutism
- support group for people who take Minoxidil
- support group for people who have Hirsutism
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can my symptoms actually pinpoint a cause/condition? (1 answer)
I would just like insight on this. I'm on pain management right now, but it's just to manage the pain. Every thing else has really been not taken serious by any physican it office I've been to. Is this normal stuff many woman go through? I'm just sick of feeling like this between the constant pain & the daily having to pluck hairs it's insane. I'm in fantastic shape(used to be double my weight & now I'm 100lbs), the best looking I've ever been with a incredibly good looking husband & a wonderful family. My issues seem to detour a lot of things & while I'm young I'd like to get this solved or some type of solution to even maintain myself, not looking for a miracle, but would really appreciate answers.
- Is finasteride the best medicine for me? (1 answer)
My testosterone level is 0.67 and i have androgenic alopecia pattern on my left side of my head
- Any reports on side effects from using topical minoxidil such as vertigo and severe joint paiin
Had used the topical solution of minoxidil, rogaine for about 8-9 months , did not regrow hair, but since then I've been experiencing severe joint aches on feet, knees,arms,neck and shoulders. Also severe vertigo dizziness when I first lie down. I do to be honest have had a problem with back and shoulder pain, I've experienced when using a sugar substitute. I have gotten better since, and stopped using them, for years ,until I used the rogaine ,these symtoms have returned and have gotten much worse. I've also have had vertigo before, but not more then days , sometime a month. But after using the rogaine , I've experienced severe vertigo for over four months.
- Did you use minoxidol 2% before being diagnosed with breast cancer
I am wondering whether there is a relationship between the use of tranquillizers for 35 years and Rogaine for about 15 years. I only use the Rogaine 2% once in the morning and diazepam 5 mg as needed. I have generalized anxiety disorder. Diagnosed and treated for breast cancer type 2 in 2010... still worried about a recurrence.
- I have an enlarged prostate is rogain bad for my prostate
I just started using Rogain and have noticed a reduction in urine flow
More questions for: Minoxidil, Hirsutism
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- 5 years on rogaine use
Im uncertain if any connection but I have been using Rogaine Foam for approx 5 years and early last year i developed a Melanoma directly in the area of use.
I am curious to see if many others have had similar experiences.
For the record my yearly checkup caught the Melanoma early and it was removed (twice) successfully.
- Minoxidil (vesicular eczema)
I began using topical Minoxidil and noticed about one month later small round fluid filled blisters on one finger on my left hand. The blisters were tender and I felt relief when I popped them. The skin inside was tender for a few days until it dried out. Then I developed the same blisters on one finger on my right hand. This went on for several months. Blisters were constantly forming on those fingers no matter what topical treatments I tried to resolve them. I felt it was due to the Minoxidil and after some research discovered others reported a similar reaction. The blisters resolved after stopping the Minoxidil. I switched to a product from Life Extension Super Saw Palmetto Nettle Root Formula with Beta-Sitosterol. The results were better than Minoxidil and I did not get any painful blisters on my fingers. What a relief.
- Happened to me- allergic reaction to rogaine
Within the first week of usage, I began to have leg cramps, facial swelling, tightness of breath, chest pain, anxiety, and chronic headaches. Even with allergy medicines and aspirin, nothing seemed to help. At first, I felt it was though it was just simple allergies until I woke up one morning with my face so swollen that I could see my skin around my eyes without looking in a mirror. My throat began to swell to the point it was difficult to swallow. I immediately went to the ER to receive a shot and sleep all day with Benadryl. The following day, I have redness in the skin and hoarseness. The doctor told me too never touch Rogaine again or I would end up in the hospital (or worse).
- Effexor xr 150 mg and phentermine 37.5 mg
phentermine has caused significant weight loss. Effexor XR manages my GAD and depression but causes random physiological anxiety attacks, drastic increase in sweating, vivid and nightly nightmares
More reviews for: Minoxidil, Hirsutism
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- It has been almost two months that abovementoined symptoms have occurred. I am, particularly at night, afraid that if I make sound, people or neighbours may become upset. When I hear something, even the sound of elevator, I jump and think that they are coming to warn me that I did something that dis ...
- Sebum plugs on scalp,eyebrows,eyelashes,facial hair and all over non facialhair areas such as nose and forehead. The sebum plugs causes My hair to fallout and no visibel regrowth is occuring. My face is really oily and I have flakes/dandruff all over My face. No dandruff on My scalp. This all occure ...
- I am suffering from Hair fall problem for last 3years. Nw it is too severe to tolerate. Doctor says it is an androgenic alopecia. Bt i fell thin hair on my back of head. I have also a problm of allergic rhinitis.
- male patient in use of minoxidil treatment for hair loss for long as 8 years complain since 5 years ago repeated tendinitis of elbow (tennis elbow), supraspinatus tendon of shoulder, extensor digitorium , retus femoralis origin tendinitis, patela tendon tendinitis. He has normal tyroid function and ...
- have the same burning sensation when i had a sunburn 5 months before using the drug
started experiencing the effects 3 months after starting using the foam, the first three months my head was shaven , when the hair started growing 3 months after , i started experiencing it.
i hhave flushes when i ...
More related studies for: Minoxidil, Hirsutism
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.