Home > Mirena > Epilepsy > Mirena and Epilepsy
Review: could Mirena cause Epilepsy?
Summary: Epilepsy is found among people who take Mirena, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Tegretol, and have Contraception.
We study 62,568 people who have side effects while taking Mirena from FDA and social media. Among them, 43 have Epilepsy. Find out below who they are, when they have Epilepsy and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Mirena and have Epilepsy >>>
Mirena (latest outcomes from 62,918 users) has active ingredients of levonorgestrel. It is often used in birth control.
Epilepsy (common and diverse set of chronic neurological disorders characterized by seizures) (latest reports from 69,335 patients) has been reported by people with depression, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, convulsion, pain.
On Oct, 26, 2014: 62,559 people reported to have side effects when taking Mirena. Among them, 59 people (0.09%) have Epilepsy.
Time on Mirena when people have Epilepsy * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Epilepsy when taking Mirena * :
Severity of Epilepsy when taking Mirena ** :
How people recovered from Epilepsy ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (13 people, 22.03%)
- Menorrhagia (9 people, 15.25%)
- Epilepsy (7 people, 11.86%)
- Sarcoidosis (2 people, 3.39%)
- Migraine (1 people, 1.69%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Tegretol (5 people, 8.47%)
- Trileptal (4 people, 6.78%)
- Cerazette (4 people, 6.78%)
- Lamictal (3 people, 5.08%)
- Topamax (3 people, 5.08%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Epilepsy while taking Mirena?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Mirena and have Epilepsy
- support group for people who take Mirena
- support group for people who have Epilepsy
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- What is the sugar content of hydroxyzine syrup? how will it interact with the ketogenic diet for seizure disorder?
(Asked by a 18 year old boy who has Seizure Disorder)
Son is starting the ketogenic diet again after having been successful and seizure free for 13 years. Seizures are creeping back in so we are staring the diet again. Hydroxyzine is the only med that might have an interaction because it is a liquid syrup. I can't find anything that tells me the sug ...
- Mirena causing infected ingrown toenails?
(Asked by a 37 year old woman who has Joint Stiffness, Ingrown Toenail, and takes Mirena)
I've had mirena for 3 months and I've already noticed regular joint stiffness even after brief periods of rest. To boot I've gotten several ingrown toenails on each foot which is very unusual because I've not changed anything in my hygiene and I've never had ingrown toenails before mirena. It's quit ...
- Can lamictal cause false positive pcp drug screen
(Asked by a 42 year old woman who has Epilepsy, and takes Lamictal Xr)
I had a rapid urine drug screen for new employment and it shows positive for PCP. I have never taken or even seen PCP. I am so embarrassed and mortified. Needless to say my urine has been sent to a lab to see if it can rule out false positive results. I called my neurologist and my Pharmacist an ...
- Does nexplanon have nickel in it?
(Asked by a 20 year old woman who has Nickel Allergy , Epilepsy, and takes Zantac, Lidocaine Hydrochloride, Gabapentin)
I have a severe nickel allergy and I have epilepsy. I am considering explain to reduce periodes since my seizures are worse that time of the month. I need to know if nexplanon has nickel because I need to avoid it if it does.
- Hcg diet is good for me
(Asked by a 33 year old woman who has Epilepsy, and takes HCG)
I'M PRESENTLY ON DEPRESSION MEDICINE AND LAMYCTAL FOR SEIZURES.
CAN I GO ON THE HCG INJECTION DIET?
More questions for: Mirena, Epilepsy
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Mirena and the paranoia
(Posted by a 21 year old woman who has Extreme Paranoia, and takes Mirena)
Okay, I will get one thing straight, I DO love my IUD. Luckily I'm one of the ones where it doesn't fall out of me or migrate. It stays put and does it's job.
I know there have been endless reports of symptoms. I will admit, I have a few of the more common ones, such as false pregnancy symptoms, ...
- Diagnosed with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome after mirena
(Posted by a 34 year old woman who has Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, Fatigue, Nausea, Dizzy, and takes Mirena)
After getting the Mirena put in, I got really sick. I went home and got super dizzy, nauseous, and tired. I felt so sick and could barely function. I called the doctors office and they said it couldn't be from the Mirena. She said that I must have the flu. Well, I kept it in for a little while long ...
- Levaquin side effects
(Posted by a 60 year old woman who has Epilepsy, COPD With Exacerbation, and takes Levaquin)
Prescribed for COPD flare-up, along with a 10 day course of prednisone. On day 5, I experienced extreme irritability. I was imagining what it would be like to shoot my husband. He had kicked me in his sleep and I was very seriously thinking of shooting that foot. I got up and secured the gun. Howeve ...
- Seizure patient was on depakote for 16 years now on keppra 1500 mg.
(Posted by a 29 year old woman who has Epilepsy, and takes Vicodin, Vitamin D, Depakote, Keppra)
I am 28 years old and been off depakote for 5 months. I started keppra to control my seizure disorder, which works great. But for the past year I have developed osteoarthritis in my thoracic, si joints, and lumbar. I get alot of muscle hypersensitivity and pain. Can any of this be due to long term ...
- Mirena /pulmonary embolism
(Posted by a 35 year old woman who has Pulmonary Embolism, and takes Mirena)
Hi , I was on mirena @ six weeks post delivery of my second sons birth in August of 2011. In march of 2013 I felt extremely tired , sluggish , like I was sick . I also was experiencing tachycardia and fever . I went in to docs and he said I had a respiratory infection and sent me home with an inhale ...
More reviews for: Mirena, Epilepsy
- A study of drug interactions between Fenofibric Acid, Prednisone, Flax Seed, Adderall 20, Vitamin D, Meloxicam, Cymbalta, Cymbalta, Ambien, Mirena for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Bowel Movement Irregularity, Lack Of Coordination, Aat Deficiency, Chronic Pain, Chronic Depression, Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Birth Control. The patient has Unable To Concentrate, Brain Mass, Joint Stiffness, Early Morning Joint Stiffness, Muscle Fatigue, Abdominal Pain Lower, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Chronic Pain, Sleep Disorder
Comments: Began taking sleep aids 15+yrs ago.Can not nap or sleep without.Had the Mirena IUD inserted over 10yrs ago, shortly after it was approved.Began exp sever mood swings and depr. Was put on anti-depr. Began having chronic pain.Most sever in the neck,shoulders,arms and hips.Drs were unable to determin ...
- A study of side effects of Mirena for a patient with Alopecia Areata. The patient has Alopecia Areata (patchy baldness that typically begins with rapid hair loss)
Comments: I had the Mirena IUD placed approx 18 months ago. 3 months ago I discovered a large bald spot on the back of my head 2 inches in diameter. My primary care physician diagnosed me with Alopecia and sent me on my way. After doing my own research becasue I was not feeling satisfied with the "there is no ...
- A study of side effects of Mirena for a patient with Birth Control. The patient has Autoimmune Pancreatitis (autoimmune pancreatitis (aip) is an increasingly recognized type of chronic pancreatitis)
Comments: I have been diagnosed in 2011 with Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis, but my DR that diagnosed is me no longer in the area. I have had the symptoms since 2009 around the time i had my IUD removed. After ovulation i break out with small bumps on my skin,real itchy, dry itchy scalp, painful sores on ...
- A study of drug interactions between Zyrtec, Wellbutrin Sr, Trileptal, Adderall Xr 30, Mirena for a patient with Allergies, Bipolar Disorder, Attention Deficit/hyperactivity Disorder, Contraception. The patient has Trouble Finding Words, Night Sweats, Dry Mouth, Sinus Congestion, Patches Of Dry Scaly Scalp, Epistaxis, Gas - Flatulence, Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome, Parosmia, Libido Decreased, Arthralgia, Hyperkinetic Syndrome, Memory Impairment
Comments: I have been taking 24-hour Zyrtec for 14 years (daily) and due to a recent sinus infection, had to stop taking it to let my sinuses drain. Stayed off the medication for three weeks. I'm back on it again and experiencing some abnormal effects. My hands are aching and sometimes have a burning sensa ...
More related studies for: Mirena, Epilepsy
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.