Review: could Mirena cause Fibromyalgia?
Summary: Fibromyalgia is found among people who take Mirena, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Amitriptyline hcl, and have Birth control.
We study 62,603 people who have side effects while taking Mirena from FDA and social media. Among them, 29 have Fibromyalgia. Find out below who they are, when they have Fibromyalgia and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Mirena and have Fibromyalgia >>>
Mirena has active ingredients of levonorgestrel. It is often used in birth control. (latest outcomes from 62,955 Mirena users)
Fibromyalgia (a long-term condition which causes pain all over the body) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, pain, depression, high blood cholesterol, rheumatoid arthritis. (latest reports from 27,040 Fibromyalgia patients)
On Mar, 13, 2015: 62,602 people reported to have side effects when taking Mirena. Among them, 29 people (0.05%) have Fibromyalgia.
Time on Mirena when people have Fibromyalgia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Fibromyalgia when taking Mirena * :
Severity of Fibromyalgia when taking Mirena ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Fibromyalgia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (11 people, 37.93%)
- Depression (3 people, 10.34%)
- Menorrhagia (2 people, 6.90%)
- Fibromyalgia syndrome (1 people, 3.45%)
- Hay fever (1 people, 3.45%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Amitriptyline hcl (2 people, 6.90%)
- Sertraline hydrochloride (2 people, 6.90%)
- Gabapentin (1 people, 3.45%)
- Seasonelle (1 people, 3.45%)
- Sertraline (1 people, 3.45%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of mirena and fibromyalgia on
Do you have Fibromyalgia while taking Mirena?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Mirena and have Fibromyalgia
- support group for people who take Mirena
- support group for people who have Fibromyalgia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Pregabalin, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Butrans for a 29-year old woman with Fibromyalgia. The patient has Fibromyalgia, Fatigue, Irritability, Back Pain - Low, Frequent Headaches, Eustachian Tube Patulous
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Lexapro, Wellbutrin Xl, Ventolin Hfa, Verapamil Hcl, Morphine Sulfate, Gabapentin, Hydrocodone Compound for a 50-year old woman with Deficiency Anaemia, Vitamin D Decreased, Depression, Asthma Late Onset, Heart Rate Increased, Inflammatory Pain, Fibromyalgia. The patient has Breast Removal Surgery, Plantar Fasciitis, Psoriatic Arthropathy, Psoriasis, Degenerative Joint Disease, Fibromyalgia
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Gabapentin, Zofran, Tylenol W/ Codeine No. 3, Metformin, Hydrochlorothiazide, Synthroid, Zoloft for a 26-year old woman with Vitamin D Decreased, Fibromyalgia, Nausea, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (pcos), Medullary Cystic Kidney Disease, Hypothyroidism, Depression. The patient has Chronic Pain, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (pcos), Medullary Cystic Kidney Disease, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- A study of side effects of Plan B for a 35-year old woman with Emergency Contraception. The patient has Nipple Discharge - Abnormal
- A study of drug interactions between Triamcinolone Acetonide, Bactrim, Ciprofloxacin, Methadone Hydrochloride, Oxycodone, Vitamin D, Zomig, Vancomycin Hydrochloride for a 56-year old woman with Atopic Eczema, Kidney Infection, Uti - Acute, Fibromyalgia, Joint Pain, Migraine, C. Difficile Colitis. The patient has Atopic Eczema, Uti - Acute, Fibromyalgia, Migraine, C. Difficile Colitis, Pain - Bones
Recent Mirena related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.