Review: could Mirena cause Hair thinning (Hair loss)?
Summary: Hair thinning is found among people who take Mirena, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Levothyroxine sodium, and have Contraception.
We study 62,581 people who have side effects while taking Mirena from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,054 have Hair thinning. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair thinning and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Mirena and have Hair thinning >>>
Mirena has active ingredients of levonorgestrel. It is often used in birth control. (latest outcomes from Mirena 62,930 users)
Hair thinning has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression.(latest reports from Hair thinning 41,550 patients)
On Dec, 3, 2014: 62,568 people reported to have side effects when taking Mirena. Among them, 1,054 people (1.68%) have Hair Thinning.
Time on Mirena when people have Hair thinning * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair thinning||5.19%||35.58%||18.44%||20.26%||15.84%||4.68%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Hair thinning when taking Mirena * :
|Hair thinning||0.00%||0.27%||1.92%||37.76%||40.36%||18.74%||0.96%||0.00% |
Severity of Hair thinning when taking Mirena ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair thinning||27.27%||72.73%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Hair thinning ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair thinning||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (628 people, 59.58%)
- Menorrhagia (52 people, 4.93%)
- Depression (10 people, 0.95%)
- Endometriosis (9 people, 0.85%)
- Birth control (6 people, 0.57%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Levothyroxine sodium (9 people, 0.85%)
- Antibiotics (7 people, 0.66%)
- Lexapro (7 people, 0.66%)
- Yasmin (7 people, 0.66%)
- Xanax (6 people, 0.57%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hair Thinning while taking Mirena?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Mirena and have Hair Thinning
- support group for people who take Mirena
- support group for people who have Hair Thinning
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Soon as i got the mirena two months later i started getting spots of vitiligo what should i do get the mirena removed and call and lawyer
(Asked by a 24 year old woman who has Vitiligo, and takes Mirena)
I got the Mirena inplanted In My uterus in Dec 2012 and Feb 2013 started to see spotes of Vitiligo I went to the dermatologist and was told that i for sure have Vitiligo.
- Mirena causing infected ingrown toenails?
(Asked by a 37 year old woman who has Joint Stiffness, Ingrown Toenail, and takes Mirena)
I've had mirena for 3 months and I've already noticed regular joint stiffness even after brief periods of rest. To boot I've gotten several ingrown toenails on each foot which is very unusual because I've not changed anything in my hygiene and I've never had ingrown toenails before mirena. It's quit ...
- If you stop taking oxcarbazepine will your hair grow back?
(Asked by a 47 year old man who has Hair Loss, and takes Oxcarbazepine)
has been getting thinner on top and now there's a little bald spot it just seems like the last month and a half maybe that I've noticed that my hair has been getting thinner on top and now there's a little bald spot where its really thin and you can see the scalp and he increased my dosage by 600 mi ...
- What can i do to grow hair back. i've been taking fluticasone propionate for altmost 1 year and 6 months, now i've stopped using it, but i lost hair in frontal region and i want to regrow it.
(Asked by a 21 year old man who has Hair Loss, and takes Fluticasone Propionate)
What can i do to grow hair back. i've been taking Fluticasone propionate for altmost 1 year and 6 months, now I've stopped using it, but I lost hair in frontal region and I want to regrow it.
- What can i do to grow hair back. i've been taking xanax. i understand it has caused my hair loss. i once had very thick hair. now i'm almost bald. i'm stopping the xanax. now what??
(Asked by a 64 year old woman who has Loss Of Hair, and takes Xanax)
How can I get my hair to grow back if I stop xanax
More questions for: Mirena, Hair thinning
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Hair loss with enbrel
(Posted by a 58 year old woman who has Hair Loss, Psoriatic Arthritis, and takes Enbrel)
I have been on Enbrel for 4 months and started seeing significant hair thinning at the second month of treatments (50 mg once per week). My Rhuematologist suggested 800 mcg of folic acid. I am still losing hair although I am feeling so much better.
- Hair loss with metformin hydrochloride usage
(Posted by a 58 year old woman who has Hair Loss, and takes Metformin Hydrochloride)
I have been taking the drug Metformin Hydrochloride for about 5 months and definitely find that I am losing hair which is a problem I have never experienced. Always had the healthiest hair, no problems. Well, I am finding that I am losing lair significantly and feel that the manufacturer of this dru ...
- Mirena and the paranoia
(Posted by a 21 year old woman who has Extreme Paranoia, and takes Mirena)
Okay, I will get one thing straight, I DO love my IUD. Luckily I'm one of the ones where it doesn't fall out of me or migrate. It stays put and does it's job.
I know there have been endless reports of symptoms. I will admit, I have a few of the more common ones, such as false pregnancy symptoms, ...
- Diagnosed with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome after mirena
(Posted by a 34 year old woman who has Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, Fatigue, Nausea, Dizzy, and takes Mirena)
After getting the Mirena put in, I got really sick. I went home and got super dizzy, nauseous, and tired. I felt so sick and could barely function. I called the doctors office and they said it couldn't be from the Mirena. She said that I must have the flu. Well, I kept it in for a little while long ...
- Double vision on levothyroxine
(Posted by a 49 year old woman who has Joint Stiffness, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Itching, Allergy To Food, Allergy To Chemicals, Fatigue - Chronic, Confusional State, Hair Loss, Double Vision, and takes Levothyroxine Sodium)
Diagnosed with under active thyroid in January 2011. Noticed onset of double vision in January 2014. Blurred vision and double vision worsened to such an extent that my glasses prescription has changed three times in less than 7 months. All the symptons I experience are a direct result of taking Le ...
More reviews for: Mirena, Hair thinning
- A study of drug interactions between Sodium Sulfacetamide, Metrogel, Fish Oil, Biotin, Zanaflex, Zoloft for a patient with Rosacea, Just To Be Helpful, For Hair Loss And Thinning.wasnt Suggested/prescribed By Doctor., Muscle Spasms In Neck , Bulging Discs, Stenosis. Only Use Sparingly, Not Much At All., Depression. The patient has Dizziness, Hair Thinning, Loss Of Hair
Comments: *I have noticed breakage of hair.Trying to use coconut and olive oil for hair.Not used on scalp.
*I first noticed thinning after using selenium face wash.I was told I could use it on my scalp. But I looked online and saw that it could cause hairloss. I quit using it after a few tries on my face ...
- A study of side effects of Naproxen for a patient with Inflammation Localised. The patient has Alopecia (absence of hair from areas of the body)
Comments: I have just started on Orencia this month but was was taken off of Cimzia as it was no longer effective. I have noticed over the last year that 2/3 of my hair has thinned to very little.. thin and weak.
- A study of side effects of Lisinopril for a patient with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Hair Loss
Comments: Had bouts of insomnia, digesting certain foods, I dealt with all of this including the hair loss.. Which I am grateful didn't last longer then two months( my hair was just falling out in clumps during that time)..my concerns now are the styes that I have been getting over the course of the past two ...
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Mirena for a patient with Pain - Abdomen, Birth Control. The patient has Pain, Tooth Decay
Comments: My teeth have been decaying about 3 years after the insertion of mirena. At first, I thought that it was because I did not take calcium after I gave birth to my last child in 2003. But as the years passed by the only conclusion I find for the reason of my tooth decay is Mirena. Because I don't smoke ...
- A study of side effects of Cannabis for a patient with The Cause. The patient has Adjustment Disorder With Mixed Anxiety And Depressed Mood, Hair Loss, Lethargy (tiredness)
Comments: Patient has been declining after increased marijuana usage. Graves disease like symptoms with weight loss, bulging eyes, mood disorder, lethargic, and loss of appetite. Increased depression and dependency on substances has drastically changed. Appearance and facial structures are predominate.
More related studies for: Mirena, Hair thinning
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.