Review: could Mirena cause Hunger (Appetite - increased)?
Summary: Hunger is found among people who take Mirena, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Levothyroxine sodium, and have Birth control.
We study 62,603 people who have side effects while taking Mirena from FDA and social media. Among them, 101 have Hunger. Find out below who they are, when they have Hunger and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Mirena and have Hunger >>>
Mirena has active ingredients of levonorgestrel. It is often used in birth control. (latest outcomes from 62,955 Mirena users)
Hunger (increased appetite is when you want to eat much more often or in larger quantities than your body requires) has been reported by people with type 2 diabetes, depression, quit smoking, bipolar disorder, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 9,324 Hunger patients)
On Mar, 31, 2015: 62,603 people reported to have side effects when taking Mirena. Among them, 101 people (0.16%) have Hunger.
Time on Mirena when people have Hunger * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Hunger when taking Mirena * :
Severity of Hunger when taking Mirena ** :
How people recovered from Hunger ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (64 people, 63.37%)
- Anxiety (6 people, 5.94%)
- Thyroidectomy (6 people, 5.94%)
- Premenstrual syndrome (5 people, 4.95%)
- Menorrhagia (4 people, 3.96%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Levothyroxine sodium (8 people, 7.92%)
- Wellbutrin (5 people, 4.95%)
- Cymbalta (5 people, 4.95%)
- Xanax (4 people, 3.96%)
- Lutenyl (2 people, 1.98%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Karen (4 years ago):
I have felt nothing but severe hunger pangs since I got the Mirena put in. I eat healthy, exercise, and am eating the appropriate diet. I am getting it taken out ASAP because it has become unbearable. I gained 2 lbs. the first week it was put in and that was without changing my diet.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of mirena and hunger on
Do you have Hunger while taking Mirena?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Mirena and have Hunger
- support group for people who take Mirena
- support group for people who have Hunger
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Losartan, Venlafaxine Hydrochloride for a 60-year old woman with Pain In Limb, High Blood Pressure, Depression. The patient has Obesity, Hunger, Sweating, Thirst - Excessive
- A study of side effects of Meloxicam for a 47-year old man with Arthritis. The patient has Hunger (increased appetite is when you want to eat much more often or in larger quantities than your body requires)
- A study of side effects of Multivitamin for a 62-year old woman with One-a-day. The patient has Hunger (increased appetite is when you want to eat much more often or in larger quantities than your body requires), Lightheadedness - Dizzy (a common and often unpleasant sensation of dizziness), Dizziness, Feeling Jittery
- A study of drug interactions between Metoprolol Tartrate, Effexor Xr, Cymbalta for a 50-year old woman with Rapid Heart Beat, Migraine - Common. The patient has Excessive Hunger
- A study of side effects of Nexplanon for a 29-year old woman with Birth Control. The patient has Headache - Mixed Tension Migraine (headache that has characteristics of both a tension headache and a migraine headache), Pain - Back, Food Craving, Abdominal Pain Lower, Hunger (increased appetite is when you want to eat much more often or in larger quantities than your body requires), Lightheadedness - Fainting (a common and often unpleasant sensation feeling that one may be about to faint), Fatigue (feeling of tiredness), Dizziness
Recent Mirena related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.