From FDA reports: Mirena and Optic neuritis
This is a study of Optic neuritis among people who take Mirena. The study analyzes: the time on Mirena when people have Optic neuritis, age of these people, the severity of Optic neuritis, how they recovered, and common conditions and drugs used besides Mirena. In total 58,328 Mirena users are studied. The study is created by eHealthMe based on reports from FDA and is updated regularly.
Do you have a question? Healthcare is personal: one drug can work differently between women and men, or for people of different ages. How do you find patients like you to answer your question, and ensure only patients like you can answer it? Our Personalized Q&A can help. Start now
Mirena has active ingredients of levonorgestrel. It is used in birth control, intra-uterine contraceptive device, endometriosis, menstrual periods - heavy, prolonged, or irregular, amenorrhea - primary. Commonly reported side effects of Mirena include device expulsion, intra-uterine contraceptive device expelled, vaginal haemorrhage, device dislocation, abdominal pain.
Optic neuritis has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, crohn's disease.
On Jun, 18, 2013: 58,328 people reported to have side effects when taking Mirena. Among them, 11 people (0.02%) have Optic Neuritis.
Time on Mirena when people have Optic neuritis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Optic neuritis||0.00%||25.00%||50.00%||0.00%||25.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Optic neuritis when taking Mirena * :
|Optic neuritis||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||44.44%||22.22%||33.33%||0.00%||0.00% |
Severity of Optic neuritis when taking Mirena ** :
How people recovered from Optic neuritis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (2 people, 18.18%)
- Menorrhagia (2 people, 18.18%)
- Menstrual disorder (1 people, 9.09%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Nasonex (1 people, 9.09%)
- Vitamin tab (1 people, 9.09%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
(If the study does not answer your question, use Personalized Q&A)
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Next: check whether optic neuritis is from a drug or a condition
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Mirena (levonorgestrel) is often used for birth control. Find out below the conditions Mirena is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Mirena used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Mirena side effects from A to Z:
Browse Mirena drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Related personalized Q&As (what is this?):
Recent related drug checks on eHealthMe:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent drug studies on eHealthMe:
- Losartan Potassium, Diclofenac Potassium, Lipitor for a 66-year old man who has High Blood Pressure, Arthritis , Plaque Buildup - Arteries (27 minutes ago)
- Remicade for a 66-year old woman who has Ankylosing Spondylitis (55 minutes ago)
- Fluoxetine, Lamictal for a 56-year old woman who has Depression, Bipolar 2 (1 hour ago)
- Velcade for a 60-year old man who has Multiple Meyleoma (1 hour ago)
- Hydrea for a 62-year old man who has Polycythemia Vera (3 hours ago)
- Levothyroxine Sodium, Triamterene And Hydrochlorothiazide, Furosemide, Metoprolol Succinate for a 71-year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, Hypertension, Fluid Retention, PVC's Tachycardia (3 hours ago)
- Suprax for a 26-year old woman who has Typhoid Fever (3 hours ago)
- Clomid for a 31-year old woman who has Anovulatory Cycle (3 hours ago)
- Zolpidem, Crestor, , Axiron for a 58-year old man who has Cant Sleep, High Cholesterol, Low Thyroid, Low Testosterone (3 hours ago)
- Yasmin, Vitamins, Alprazolam for a 32-year old woman who has PMS, Fatigue, Anxiety (4 hours ago)