Review: could Mirena cause Underactive thyroid (Hypothyroidism)?
Summary: Underactive thyroid is found among people who take Mirena, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Synthroid, and have Birth control.
We study 62,603 people who have side effects while taking Mirena from FDA and social media. Among them, 32 have Underactive thyroid. Find out below who they are, when they have Underactive thyroid and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Mirena and have Underactive thyroid >>>
Mirena has active ingredients of levonorgestrel. It is often used in birth control. (latest outcomes from 62,955 Mirena users)
Underactive thyroid (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, osteopenia, hypothyroidism, depression. (latest reports from 49,670 Underactive thyroid patients)
On Apr, 1, 2015: 62,603 people reported to have side effects when taking Mirena. Among them, 32 people (0.05%) have Underactive Thyroid.
Time on Mirena when people have Underactive thyroid * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Underactive thyroid||0.00%||6.67%||6.67%||13.33%||40.00%||33.33%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Underactive thyroid when taking Mirena * :
|Underactive thyroid||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||34.62%||38.46%||23.08%||3.85%||0.00% |
Severity of Underactive thyroid when taking Mirena ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Underactive thyroid||0.00%||57.14%||42.86%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Underactive thyroid ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Underactive thyroid||0.00%||60.00%||40.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (17 people, 53.12%)
- Hypothyroidism (3 people, 9.38%)
- Menorrhagia (3 people, 9.38%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (3 people, 9.38%)
- Thyroid disorder (2 people, 6.25%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Synthroid (4 people, 12.50%)
- Humira (3 people, 9.38%)
- Gynokadin (2 people, 6.25%)
- Thyroid medication (2 people, 6.25%)
- Pristiq (2 people, 6.25%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Underactive Thyroid while taking Mirena?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Mirena and have Underactive Thyroid
- support group for people who take Mirena
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Lithium Carbonate for a 67-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development), Dry Mouth, Weight Gain, Sleepiness - During The Day (excess sleeping during day time)
- A study of side effects of Provera for a 20-year old woman with Amenorrhoea. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development)
- A study of side effects of NyQuil for a 46-year old woman with Sleep - Natural Short Sleeper. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development)
- A study of drug interactions between Senna, Levothyroxine Sodium, Paxil Cr, Oxycodone, Omeprazole for a 44-year old woman with Constipation, Hypothyroidism, Anxiety Disorder, Degenerative Joint Disease, Gerd. The patient has Hypothyroidism, Swollen Eye Or Conjunctiva, Swollen Eyelid, Swollen Lymph Nodes, Gerd
- A study of side effects of Sulfasalazine for a 41-year old woman with Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Ulcerative Colitis. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development), Anemia - Hemolytic (anaemia due to haemolysis, the abnormal breakdown of red blood cells (rbcs), either in the blood vessels (intravascular haemolysis) or elsewhere in the human body (extra vascular))
Recent Mirena related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.