Review: could Niacin cause Atrial fibrillation (Atrial fibrillation/flutter)?
Summary: Atrial fibrillation is found among people who take Niacin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 5,770 people who have side effects while taking Niacin from FDA and social media. Among them, 158 have Atrial fibrillation. Find out below who they are, when they have Atrial fibrillation and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Niacin and have Atrial fibrillation >>>
Niacin has active ingredients of niacin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 6,317 Niacin users)
Atrial fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, multiple myeloma. (latest reports from 87,267 Atrial fibrillation patients)
On Mar, 14, 2015: 5,770 people reported to have side effects when taking Niacin. Among them, 159 people (2.76%) have Atrial Fibrillation.
Time on Niacin when people have Atrial fibrillation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||25.00%||25.00%||0.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Niacin * :
|Atrial fibrillation||30.69%||69.31% |
Age of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Niacin * :
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.23%||0.00%||3.68%||9.82%||85.28% |
Severity of Atrial fibrillation when taking Niacin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Atrial fibrillation||33.33%||66.67%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Atrial fibrillation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||33.33%||66.67% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (30 people, 18.87%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (24 people, 15.09%)
- Atrial fibrillation (15 people, 9.43%)
- Cardiac failure congestive (13 people, 8.18%)
- Diabetes mellitus (9 people, 5.66%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (100 people, 62.89%)
- Digoxin (87 people, 54.72%)
- Lipitor (67 people, 42.14%)
- Lisinopril (67 people, 42.14%)
- Furosemide (59 people, 37.11%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Citations of the study:
Do you have Atrial Fibrillation while taking Niacin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Niacin and have Atrial Fibrillation
- support group for people who take Niacin
- support group for people who have Atrial Fibrillation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Vitamin B3 for a 35-year old man with Ringworm. The patient has Bisters, Fissures, And Hardened Skin On My Fingers. Ringworm On My Upper Arms And Legs.
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Lexapro, Lamictal, Prilosec, Simvastatin, Niaspan, Levoxyl, Actos, Januvia, Metformin Hydrochloride for a 64-year old man with Abdominal Pain Lower, Anxiety Disorder, Mood Disorder, Gerd, Hypercholesterolemia, High Trigylycerides, Hypothyroidism - Primary, Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent, Diabetes. The patient has Low Platelet Count
- A study of side effects of Acebutolol Hydrochloride for a 70-year old woman with Afib. The patient has Atrial Fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart)
- A study of side effects of Niaspan for a 54-year old woman with Lower Cholesterol. The patient has Rheumatoid Arthritis (a chronic progressive disease causing inflammation in the joints)
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Xanax, Percocet, Clonazepam, Diltiazem Hydrochloride for a 53-year old woman with Blood Clots, Anxiety, Headache, Atrial Fibrillation. The patient has Anxiety, Atrial Fibrillation
Recent Niacin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Sodium Bicarbonate, Ropinirole Hydrochloride, Niacin, Metformin, Lidoderm for a 64-year old man who has Medical
- Comparions of Losartan Potassium, Pravastatin Sodium, Testosterone, Niacin, Metoprolol Succinate for a 77-year old man who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Niacin, Aggrenox for a 59-year old woman who has Stroke
- Comparions of Niacin, Invega Sustenna for a 40-year old man who has Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type
- Comparions of Vitamin B7, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B1 for a 79-year old man who has Acute Brain Syndrome, Acute Confusional State, Delirium
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.