Review: could Niacin cause Constipation?
Summary: Constipation is found among people who take Niacin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 5,771 people who have side effects while taking Niacin from FDA and social media. Among them, 155 have Constipation. Find out below who they are, when they have Constipation and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Niacin and have Constipation >>>
Niacin has active ingredients of niacin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 6,317 Niacin users)
Constipation has been reported by people with osteoporosis, pain, high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 81,475 Constipation patients)
On Mar, 28, 2015: 5,770 people reported to have side effects when taking Niacin. Among them, 155 people (2.69%) have Constipation.
Time on Niacin when people have Constipation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Constipation when taking Niacin * :
Age of people who have Constipation when taking Niacin * :
Severity of Constipation when taking Niacin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Constipation ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased (21 people, 13.55%)
- Vitamin supplementation (18 people, 11.61%)
- Pain (17 people, 10.97%)
- Arthritis (13 people, 8.39%)
- Cardiac disorder (12 people, 7.74%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (75 people, 48.39%)
- Lipitor (37 people, 23.87%)
- Fish oil (36 people, 23.23%)
- Nexium (29 people, 18.71%)
- Vitamin e (27 people, 17.42%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of niacin and constipation on
Do you have Constipation while taking Niacin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Niacin and have Constipation
- support group for people who take Niacin
- support group for people who have Constipation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Zyflo Cr for a 34-year old woman with Sinusitis Chronic. The patient has Constipation, Nausea
- A study of drug interactions between Baclofen, Neurontin, Ibuprofen, Lipitor, Topamax, Niacin, Paxil CR, Alendronate Sodium, Clopidogrel for a 56-year old woman with Backaches And Stress, Seizures, Complicated Migraine, Total Cholesterol, Depression, Osteoporosis, Pad. The patient has Migraine, Brittle Bone Disease, Slurred Speech, Numbness
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Zopiclone, Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Bisacodyl, Sertraline, Gabapentin, Morphine, Morphine Sulfate for a 42-year old woman with Ulcer - Stomach, Insomnia, Fibromyalgia, Constipation, Depression, Degenerative Joint Disease. The patient has Confusion, Blurred Vision, Constipation, Toothaches, Tooth Decay, Depression, Dizziness Exertional, Muscular Weakness, Itching, Eczema Exacerbated, Neck Pain, Headache, Tooth Loss, Recurrent Leg Pain And Cramping, Loss Of Sensation, Numbness And Tingling, Paresthesias, Sensory Loss, Tingling And Numbness, Fatigue - Chronic, Weight Gain, Food Hoarding, Food Craving, Abdominal Bloating, Ocular Migraine, Stomach Pain, Bedwetting
- A study of side effects of Meloxicam for a 61-year old woman with Arthritis. The patient has Constipation
- A study of drug interactions between Ambien, Nexium, Lamictal, Keppra for a 42-year old woman with Sleep Disorder, Acid Reflux, Trigeminal Neuralgia. The patient has Constipation, Insomnia, Blurred Vision, Pressure Of Speech
Recent Niacin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Sodium Bicarbonate, Ropinirole Hydrochloride, Niacin, Metformin, Lidoderm for a 64-year old man who has Medical
- Comparions of Losartan Potassium, Pravastatin Sodium, Testosterone, Niacin, Metoprolol Succinate for a 77-year old man who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Niacin, Aggrenox for a 59-year old woman who has Stroke
- Comparions of Niacin, Invega Sustenna for a 40-year old man who has Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type
- Comparions of Vitamin B7, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B1 for a 79-year old man who has Acute Brain Syndrome, Acute Confusional State, Delirium
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.