Review: could Niacin cause Deep vein thrombosis (Deep venous thrombosis)?
Summary: Deep vein thrombosis is found among people who take Niacin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, also take medication Coumadin, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 5,770 people who have side effects while taking Niacin from FDA and social media. Among them, 44 have Deep vein thrombosis. Find out below who they are, when they have Deep vein thrombosis and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Niacin and have Deep vein thrombosis >>>
Niacin has active ingredients of niacin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 6,317 Niacin users)
Deep vein thrombosis
Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in a major vein that usually develops in the legs and/or pelvis) has been reported by people with birth control, pain, multiple myeloma, premenstrual syndrome, acne. (latest reports from 43,399 Deep vein thrombosis patients)
On Mar, 5, 2015: 5,770 people reported to have side effects when taking Niacin. Among them, 42 people (0.73%) have Deep Vein Thrombosis.
Time on Niacin when people have Deep vein thrombosis * :
Gender of people who have Deep vein thrombosis when taking Niacin * :
|Deep vein thrombosis||47.37%||52.63% |
Age of people who have Deep vein thrombosis when taking Niacin * :
|Deep vein thrombosis||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||5.71%||5.71%||22.86%||14.29%||51.43% |
Severity of Deep vein thrombosis when taking Niacin ** :
How people recovered from Deep vein thrombosis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (5 people, 11.90%)
- Multiple sclerosis (5 people, 11.90%)
- Stent placement (4 people, 9.52%)
- Renal transplant (4 people, 9.52%)
- Contraception (4 people, 9.52%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Coumadin (17 people, 40.48%)
- Aspirin (14 people, 33.33%)
- Yasmin (9 people, 21.43%)
- Omeprazole (9 people, 21.43%)
- Lantus (8 people, 19.05%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of niacin and deep vein thrombosis on
Do you have Deep Vein Thrombosis while taking Niacin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Niacin and have Deep Vein Thrombosis
- support group for people who take Niacin
- support group for people who have Deep Vein Thrombosis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Xarelto, Fentanyl-100 for a 49-year old man with Pe, Chronic Pain. The patient has Deep Vein Thrombosis, Chronic Pain
- A study of side effects of Vitamin B3 for a 35-year old man with Ringworm. The patient has Bisters, Fissures, And Hardened Skin On My Fingers. Ringworm On My Upper Arms And Legs.
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Lexapro, Lamictal, Prilosec, Simvastatin, Niaspan, Levoxyl, Actos, Januvia, Metformin Hydrochloride for a 64-year old man with Abdominal Pain Lower, Anxiety Disorder, Mood Disorder, Gerd, Hypercholesterolemia, High Trigylycerides, Hypothyroidism - Primary, Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent, Diabetes. The patient has Low Platelet Count
- A study of side effects of Niaspan for a 54-year old woman with Lower Cholesterol. The patient has Rheumatoid Arthritis (a chronic progressive disease causing inflammation in the joints)
- A study of drug interactions between Niacin, Ibuprofen for a 48-year old man with Familial Hypertriglyceridaemia, Pain - Back. The patient has Back Injury
Recent Niacin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Sodium Bicarbonate, Ropinirole Hydrochloride, Niacin, Metformin, Lidoderm for a 64-year old man who has Medical
- Comparions of Losartan Potassium, Pravastatin Sodium, Testosterone, Niacin, Metoprolol Succinate for a 77-year old man who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Niacin, Aggrenox for a 59-year old woman who has Stroke
- Comparions of Niacin, Invega Sustenna for a 40-year old man who has Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type
- Comparions of Vitamin B7, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B1 for a 79-year old man who has Acute Brain Syndrome, Acute Confusional State, Delirium
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.