Review: could Niacin cause Loss of memory (Memory loss)?
Summary: Loss of memory is found among people who take Niacin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Lipitor, and have Pain.
We study 5,771 people who have side effects while taking Niacin from FDA and social media. Among them, 106 have Loss of memory. Find out below who they are, when they have Loss of memory and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Niacin and have Loss of memory >>>
Niacin has active ingredients of niacin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 6,318 Niacin users)
Loss of memory
Loss of memory has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, depression, pain, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 63,472 Loss of memory patients)
On Apr, 16, 2015: 5,771 people reported to have side effects when taking Niacin. Among them, 106 people (1.84%) have Loss Of Memory.
Time on Niacin when people have Loss of memory * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Loss of memory||25.00%||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||25.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Loss of memory when taking Niacin * :
|Loss of memory||58.93%||41.07% |
Age of people who have Loss of memory when taking Niacin * :
|Loss of memory||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||3.33%||10.00%||24.44%||62.22% |
Severity of Loss of memory when taking Niacin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Loss of memory||33.33%||0.00%||66.67%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Loss of memory ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Loss of memory||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (19 people, 17.92%)
- Prophylaxis (17 people, 16.04%)
- Bone density abnormal (15 people, 14.15%)
- Prostate cancer (15 people, 14.15%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (10 people, 9.43%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lipitor (60 people, 56.60%)
- Aspirin (46 people, 43.40%)
- Vitamin e (34 people, 32.08%)
- Prozac (27 people, 25.47%)
- Effexor (25 people, 23.58%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of niacin and loss of memory on
Do you have Loss Of Memory while taking Niacin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Niacin and have Loss Of Memory
- support group for people who take Niacin
- support group for people who have Loss Of Memory
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Topamax for a 44-year old woman with Anxiety. The patient has Electrical Shock, Difficulty In Walking, Chest Pain, Chest Tightness Or Pressure, Severe Pain In Fingers, Hands, And Wrists When Not Numb Or Tingling, Skin Itches While Showering, Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Short-term Memory Loss, Sudden Memory Loss, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Numbness In Hands Or Feet, Numbness In Hands Or Feet, Blurred Vision, Chronic Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Wellbutrin, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Neurontin for a 49-year old woman with Depression, Insomnia, Nerve Pain. The patient has Memory Loss
- A study of side effects of Methadone Hydrochloride for a 28-year old woman with RLS. The patient has Short-term Memory Loss, Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Hip Pain, Hot Flushes, Rapid Heart Beat, Fatigue - Chronic
- A study of side effects of Indapamide for a 61-year old woman with Hypertension. The patient has Sweating Increased, Anxiety, Forgetfulness
- A study of drug interactions between Daytrana, Lorazepam, Lexapro, Risperdal for a 27-year old woman with ADHD, Anxiety, Major Depression, Depression. The patient has Thinking Slowed, Tingling And Numbness, Memory Loss
Recent Niacin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Sodium Bicarbonate, Ropinirole Hydrochloride, Niacin, Metformin, Lidoderm for a 64-year old man who has Medical
- Comparions of Losartan Potassium, Pravastatin Sodium, Testosterone, Niacin, Metoprolol Succinate for a 77-year old man who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Niacin, Aggrenox for a 59-year old woman who has Stroke
- Comparions of Niacin, Invega Sustenna for a 40-year old man who has Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type
- Comparions of Vitamin B7, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B1 for a 79-year old man who has Acute Brain Syndrome, Acute Confusional State, Delirium
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.