Home > Niacin > Low thyroid > Niacin and Low thyroid
Review: could Niacin cause Low thyroid (Hypothyroidism)?
Summary: Low thyroid is found among people who take Niacin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 5,766 people who have side effects while taking Niacin from FDA and social media. Among them, 47 have Low thyroid. Find out below who they are, when they have Low thyroid and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Niacin and have Low thyroid >>>
Niacin (latest outcomes from 6,311 users) has active ingredients of niacin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol.
Low thyroid (abnormally low thyroid hormone production) (latest reports from 43,270 patients) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, osteopenia, depression, multiple sclerosis.
On Oct, 30, 2014: 5,764 people reported to have side effects when taking Niacin. Among them, 47 people (0.82%) have Low Thyroid.
Time on Niacin when people have Low thyroid * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Low thyroid||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Low thyroid when taking Niacin * :
|Low thyroid||50.00%||50.00% |
Age of people who have Low thyroid when taking Niacin * :
|Low thyroid||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||20.00%||80.00% |
Severity of Low thyroid when taking Niacin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Low thyroid||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
How people recovered from Low thyroid ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Low thyroid||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (12 people, 25.53%)
- Prophylaxis (9 people, 19.15%)
- Osteopenia (5 people, 10.64%)
- Diarrhoea (5 people, 10.64%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (5 people, 10.64%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (30 people, 63.83%)
- Fosamax (17 people, 36.17%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (15 people, 31.91%)
- Synthroid (14 people, 29.79%)
- Centrum silver (13 people, 27.66%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Low Thyroid while taking Niacin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Niacin and have Low Thyroid
- support group for people who take Niacin
- support group for people who have Low Thyroid
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is it okay to take co enzyme q 10 with levothyroxine
(Asked by a 66 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, and takes Levothyroxine Sodium)
Is it okay to take Co Enzyme Q10 with Lovothyroxine. Will it stop my Levothyroxine from working properly. I am also on Simvastaton. Would appreciate any advice on this.
- Omeprazole or pantoprazole?
(Asked by a 39 year old woman who has Hormone Level Nos Abnormal, Hypothyroidism, Tinnitus, Migraine With Aura, Blood Pressure Fluctuation, Insomnia, Ulcer - Stomach, and takes Lasix, Topamax, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Inderal, Pantoprazole)
I take an oral contraceptive, Diane-35 ED, which is not in the list of drugs to choose from on this site.
Recently, the medication I was taking for my stomach ulcer (Omeprazole) became unavailable in my country of residence and was replaced by Patoprazole. I started taking it yesterday morning a ...
- Has anyone been prescribed methotrexate for granuloma annulare?
(Asked by a 59 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, Granuloma Annulare, and takes Topamax, Calcium , Vitamin D, Zetia, Effexor Xr, Levoxyl)
I have had GA for 2 years now, however it has gotten progressively worse the past 6 months. It has now spread over 80% of my body. I am seeing an Endocrinologist next week as I believe my thyroid may play a big role in this. My Regular Dr. suggested I speak to Endocrinologist about a drug called Met ...
- I have been on armour 8 days started at 1 grain after having been on 88 mcg synthroid.
(Asked by a 58 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, and takes Armour Thyroid)
Was on 88mcg synthroid. Test was 4.75 tsh and low t3 3.3. Switched 8 days ago to 1 grain armour and now feel shaky. Pulse 90. Had diarrhea and vomiting last night at 1 in am. Is it working too fast? Felt good earlier in week and slept all night for first time in months.
- Can people with hypothyroidism take garcinia cambogia?
(Asked by a 15 year old girl who has Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura, Hypothyroidism, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, and takes Nabumetone, Levothyroxine Sodium, Prednisone, Plaquenil)
I have hypothyroidism, ITP, and MCTD. With me having all of these issues and taking all these different medications, I was wondering if it would be safe for me to take a diet pill named garcinia cambogia.
More questions for: Niacin, Low thyroid
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Shortness of breath after taking levothyroxine for 8-10 yrs.
(Posted by a 38 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, and takes Levothyroxine Sodium)
I have been experiencing shortness of breath lately when taking the levothyroxine. If I stop taking it for a couple of days my shortness of breath is pretty much gone.
- My memory loss due to omeprazole
(Posted by a 70 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, and takes Omeprazole)
I took omeprazole for 20 years until I developed edema of the lower extremities. I started having memory problems right away and they still persist even though I have not taken omeprazole now for about 6 yrs. I am hoping it will dissipate or clear my system. I do not have a constant memory proble ...
- Lipitor bad reaction
(Posted by a 63 year old woman who has Severe Migraine, Hypothyroidism, and takes Lipitor)
I was on lipitor for 5 years started at 10mg and the headaches started. At 5 years on I was up to 80mg and had severe migraines every day. Was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism and given synthroid. Also had a prescription for migraine meds that did nothing. My daughter found out she and her kids ha ...
- Niacin induced thrombocytopena
(Posted by a 56 year old man who has Thrombocytopenia, ESRD, and takes Niacin)
On peritoneal dialysis, 40mg Lipitor and 3000mg Niaspan. Platelets decreased to 12 and residual renal function fell off a cliff. Examination of patient's records for 10+ years showed long term platelet decline. Niaspan discontinued, platelets recovered to 120-200 (varies depending on sample) and ...
- I'm curing my lichen sclerosis
(Posted by a 67 year old woman who has Lichen Sclerosus, Hypothyroidism, and takes Prempro, Activella, Clobetasol Propionate, Cipro, Vagifem)
I took Prempro for about 5 years and then Activella for about 3 years for Menopausal symptoms. My first obvious symptoms of a problem began in 2005 which follow all the classic symptoms of Lichen. I spent thousands on Urology exams, tests, and surgical procedures. And thousands on Gynecological atte ...
More reviews for: Niacin, Low thyroid
- A study of drug interactions between Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamins, Flonase, Fenofibrate, Niaspan, Lovaza, Valacyclovir Hydrochloride, Androgel, Bystolic, Nexium, Diovan for a patient with Low Magnesium, Fatigue, Post Nasal Drip, High Bloood Triglycerides, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Herpes Gestationis, Low Testosterone, Heart, Gerd, High Blood Pressure. The patient has
Comments: Six weeks on 300 mg once daily of allopurinol for gout taken at night.
Suffering abnormal fatigue that is making work more challenging.
Considering asking doctor to switch to Uloric as an alternative due to fatigue symptoms.
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Niacin, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Pantoprazole, Tramadol Hydrochloride And Acetaminophen for a patient with Supplement, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Vitamin B-12 Level, Acid Reflux, Pain In Limb. The patient has Hypothyroidism
Comments: I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in Sept. 2012 after 6 yrs. of taking Tramadol 50mg. I had gotten it under control using Red Yeast Rice 200mg 3 times a day, Niacin, and Multi-vitamin with iodine. I was told to eat more fish and add iodized salt to my diet which I had done. Then after starting t ...
- A study of side effects of Niacin for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides. The patient has Rash, Face, Neck & Ears
Comments: Is this a Niacin side effect? I woke with a rash yesterday, just took one dose of Niacin yesterday at dinner, versus 3X per day. After dinner the rash became worse. I chewed 3 baby Aspirin, which helped diminish the hot feeling, but did not change or eliminate the rash. I took 2 Benadryl at bedtime. ...
- A study of drug interactions between Cortef, Armour Thyroid, Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide, Niaspan, Lovaza, Metformin for a patient with Cortisol Level, Hypothyroidism, Blood Pressure Decreased, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Insulin Resistance. The patient has Stomach Upset
Comments: Was on Metformin (1000 mg per day), which was recently increased with a goal of 2000 mg per day (gradual increase). In the AM, I usually start with a cup of coffee, then breakfast, followed by more coffee (two cups per day). I take metformin immediately following meals. I fix up my coffee with or ...
- A study of drug interactions between Femhrt, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Paracetamol, Codeine, Ramipril, Atenolol, Tapentadol Hydrochloride, Pregabalin, Levothyroxine Sodium for a patient with Menopause, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Headache, Fibromyalgia, Hypertension, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Hypothyroidism, Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome, Menopause, Headache, Fatigue - Chronic, Fibromyalgia
Comments: Following moderate whiplash injury in a road traffic accident three years ago, symptoms of pain, exhaustion, IBS, headache, nausea have continued and my quality of life consists of work and recovering.
More related studies for: Niacin, Low thyroid
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent mobile support groups
- Sexual Dysfunction and Amlodipine Besylate
- Palpitations and Warfarin Sodium
- Polymyositis - Adult
- Lymphoma and Humira
- Since having my gallbladder removed, i have been having an ileum occur. does anyone know why this happens? i have celiac and never had a stomache or vomiting until the gladdbladder was removed.
i feel that the removal of the gallbladder has caused my s ... (3 hours ago)
- Is it ok to take fioricet and albuterol together?
I have been having bad headaches the pain is behind my yes ... (7 hours ago)
- I'm on two meds, can librium and diclofenac sodium be taken at the same time
Trying too find out if I can safely take these two drugs t ... (13 hours ago)
Recent user reviews
- Amitriptyline involuntary eye movements
I've began having sparatic involuntary eye movements a few ... (1 day ago)
- Hair loss with enbrel
I have been on Enbrel for 4 months and started seeing sign ... (2 days ago)
- Jaw pain and naproxen
Taking naproxen for pain relief of mortons neuromas. 500 m ... (2 days ago)