Home > Niacin > Petechiae > Niacin and Petechiae
Review: could Niacin cause Petechiae (Bleeding into the skin)?
Summary: Petechiae is found among people who take Niacin, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 5,766 people who have side effects while taking Niacin from FDA and social media. Among them, 9 have Petechiae. Find out below who they are, when they have Petechiae and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Niacin and have Petechiae >>>
Niacin (latest outcomes from 6,311 users) has active ingredients of niacin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol.
Petechiae (a small red or purple spot caused by bleeding into the skin) (latest reports from 6,461 patients) has been reported by people with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, depression, multiple myeloma.
On Oct, 30, 2014: 5,764 people reported to have side effects when taking Niacin. Among them, 9 people (0.16%) have Petechiae.
Time on Niacin when people have Petechiae * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Petechiae when taking Niacin * :
Age of people who have Petechiae when taking Niacin * :
Severity of Petechiae when taking Niacin ** :
How people recovered from Petechiae ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (3 people, 33.33%)
- Insomnia (3 people, 33.33%)
- Pain (3 people, 33.33%)
- Myelodysplastic syndrome (1 people, 11.11%)
- Hyperlipidaemia (1 people, 11.11%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (6 people, 66.67%)
- Percocet (4 people, 44.44%)
- Zoloft (3 people, 33.33%)
- Aciphex (3 people, 33.33%)
- Vicodin (3 people, 33.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Petechiae while taking Niacin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Niacin and have Petechiae
- support group for people who take Niacin
- support group for people who have Petechiae
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Does bcaa cause migraines?
(Asked by a 40 year old woman who has CFS, Migraines , and takes Cod Liver Oil, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin C (ascorbic Acid), Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin B3, Selenium, Coenzyme Q10, Iron Dextran, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride)
I took 3 capsules of BCAA and within the next hour I developed a very aggressive migraine. Believing the migraine may have been separate to the tablets, I took another 3 capsules the next day and again within 1 hour I developed a very aggressive migraines. Has anyone had a similar adverse reactio ...
- Will taking a fiber supplement at the same time as niaspan create a problem/interaction
(Asked by a 83 year old woman who takes Niaspan)
I have been told that taking a fiber supplement at the same time as taking Niaspan will limit the effects of the Niaspan. I need to know so that I can change the order in which I take my meds and supplements if needed.
- Do mrsa and petechiae have anything to do with one another? because i have mrsa and am afraid this may be the start of an outbreak or lead to one.
(Asked by a 16 year old girl who has Petechiae, MRSA)
I am a 16 year old girl who freaks out at any sign of a MRSA outbreak, due to going septic when I was 13 and would like to know if MRSA and Petechiae have thing to do with the other. I don't want to freak out about nothing if it is nothing.
- My son has 6th month now.7 days after his birth we can see a red spot on scalp. now it bulged
(Asked by a 1 year old boy who has Skin Spots - Red)
we are not seen that spot at birth time.during 7th day his hair is removed as per our traditional concept.after that a small red spot seen on the scalp.2_3days it is like that and later it grows gradually.now he has 6th month started.we consulted a doctor and said that after 9 month it will compres ...
- Daughter has developed pinpoint red spots after taking amoxycillin. why does the drug cause this and does she need medical help?
(Asked by a 2 year old girl who has Pinpoint Red Spots On The Skin, and takes Amoxicillin)
My daughter is 2 years old with an ear infection and was prescribed amoxicillin. This is her 2nd time on amoxicillin and each time she's on the drug, I noticed these tiny pinpoint red spots on her body. They don't appear in large amounts, only a couple here and there each time. I took her to the pa ...
More questions for: Niacin, Petechiae
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Petechiae after taking plant sterols
(Posted by a 52 year old woman who has Petechiae, and takes Plant Sterols)
after taking plant sterols for five years i switched brands,withinn a few days i developed minute petechiae on my lower legs and especially behind my knees and inner thighs. My legs were also swelling and feeling tight.
i stopped taking the sterols and after a week the petechiae disappeared along w ...
- Niacin induced thrombocytopena
(Posted by a 56 year old man who has Thrombocytopenia, ESRD, and takes Niacin)
On peritoneal dialysis, 40mg Lipitor and 3000mg Niaspan. Platelets decreased to 12 and residual renal function fell off a cliff. Examination of patient's records for 10+ years showed long term platelet decline. Niaspan discontinued, platelets recovered to 120-200 (varies depending on sample) and ...
More reviews for: Niacin, Petechiae
- A study of drug interactions between Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamins, Flonase, Fenofibrate, Niaspan, Lovaza, Valacyclovir Hydrochloride, Androgel, Bystolic, Nexium, Diovan for a patient with Low Magnesium, Fatigue, Post Nasal Drip, High Bloood Triglycerides, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Herpes Gestationis, Low Testosterone, Heart, Gerd, High Blood Pressure. The patient has
Comments: Six weeks on 300 mg once daily of allopurinol for gout taken at night.
Suffering abnormal fatigue that is making work more challenging.
Considering asking doctor to switch to Uloric as an alternative due to fatigue symptoms.
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Niacin, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Pantoprazole, Tramadol Hydrochloride And Acetaminophen for a patient with Supplement, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Vitamin B-12 Level, Acid Reflux, Pain In Limb. The patient has Hypothyroidism
Comments: I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in Sept. 2012 after 6 yrs. of taking Tramadol 50mg. I had gotten it under control using Red Yeast Rice 200mg 3 times a day, Niacin, and Multi-vitamin with iodine. I was told to eat more fish and add iodized salt to my diet which I had done. Then after starting t ...
- A study of side effects of Niacin for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides. The patient has Rash, Face, Neck & Ears
Comments: Is this a Niacin side effect? I woke with a rash yesterday, just took one dose of Niacin yesterday at dinner, versus 3X per day. After dinner the rash became worse. I chewed 3 baby Aspirin, which helped diminish the hot feeling, but did not change or eliminate the rash. I took 2 Benadryl at bedtime. ...
- A study of side effects of Advil for a patient with Headache. The patient has Fatigue (feeling of tiredness), Headache (pain in head), Petechiae (a small red or purple spot caused by bleeding into the skin), Weakness
Comments: Tired, stressed, pain in arms(bones) once in a while, problem in concentration, less appetite, more than usual hair on body (back of the neck, abdomen, chest and around nipples), unusal pain in head (right side) lasts a couple seconds and palpitations.
- A study of drug interactions between Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Nexium for a patient with Depression, Acid Reflux. The patient has Skin Spots - Red
Comments: I dont know if Im even on the right site for this. But I have a colostomy since May 07 2014. I had rectal cancer colostomy is permanent. I noticed I have red spots on my stoma only. They they look like little you get in your mouth. skin is very healthy around the stoma
More related studies for: Niacin, Petechiae
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.