Review: could Niacin cause Shortness of breath (Breathing difficulty)?
Summary: Shortness of breath is found among people who take Niacin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 5,771 people who have side effects while taking Niacin from FDA and social media. Among them, 309 have Shortness of breath. Find out below who they are, when they have Shortness of breath and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Niacin and have Shortness of breath >>>
Niacin has active ingredients of niacin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 6,317 Niacin users)
Shortness of breath
Shortness of breath has been reported by people with high blood pressure, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. (latest reports from 165,466 Shortness of breath patients)
On Apr, 17, 2015: 5,771 people reported to have side effects when taking Niacin. Among them, 309 people (5.35%) have Shortness Of Breath.
Time on Niacin when people have Shortness of breath * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Shortness of breath||61.54%||30.77%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||7.69%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Shortness of breath when taking Niacin * :
|Shortness of breath||39.87%||60.13% |
Age of people who have Shortness of breath when taking Niacin * :
|Shortness of breath||0.00%||0.00%||0.36%||0.00%||7.30%||6.93%||20.44%||64.96% |
Severity of Shortness of breath when taking Niacin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Shortness of breath||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Shortness of breath ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Shortness of breath||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased (40 people, 12.94%)
- Hypertension (30 people, 9.71%)
- Cardiac disorder (25 people, 8.09%)
- Pain (21 people, 6.80%)
- Atrial fibrillation (20 people, 6.47%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (167 people, 54.05%)
- Lisinopril (71 people, 22.98%)
- Plavix (60 people, 19.42%)
- Lasix (57 people, 18.45%)
- Coreg (50 people, 16.18%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of niacin and shortness of breath on
Do you have Shortness Of Breath while taking Niacin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Niacin and have Shortness Of Breath
- support group for people who take Niacin
- support group for people who have Shortness Of Breath
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Aspirin for a 71-year old man with Blood Thinner. The patient has Shortness Of Breath
- A study of drug interactions between Zanaflex, Klonopin, Vicodin, Fentanyl-50, Sinemet Cr, Seroquel, Depakote Er for a 58-year old woman with Muscle Contractions Involuntary, Anxiety Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Chronic Pain, Failed Back Surgery Syndrome, Parkinson's Disease, Psychosis. The patient has Shortness Of Breath, Muscle Cramps Aggravated, Sweating Fever, Congestive Heart Failure, Hallucinations
- A study of side effects of Diamox for a 38-year old woman with Ih. The patient has Intranasal Numbness, Tiredness, Muscle Cramps, Shortness Of Breath, Kidney Palpable, Insomnia
- A study of drug interactions between Baclofen, Neurontin, Ibuprofen, Lipitor, Topamax, Niacin, Paxil CR, Alendronate Sodium, Clopidogrel for a 56-year old woman with Backaches And Stress, Seizures, Complicated Migraine, Total Cholesterol, Depression, Osteoporosis, Pad. The patient has Migraine, Brittle Bone Disease, Slurred Speech, Numbness
- A study of drug interactions between Remicade, Methotrexate for a 47-year old woman with Sarcoidosis. The patient has Burning Eyes, Burning Eyes, Shortness Of Breath, Painful Respiration
Recent Niacin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Sodium Bicarbonate, Ropinirole Hydrochloride, Niacin, Metformin, Lidoderm for a 64-year old man who has Medical
- Comparions of Losartan Potassium, Pravastatin Sodium, Testosterone, Niacin, Metoprolol Succinate for a 77-year old man who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Niacin, Aggrenox for a 59-year old woman who has Stroke
- Comparions of Niacin, Invega Sustenna for a 40-year old man who has Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type
- Comparions of Vitamin B7, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B1 for a 79-year old man who has Acute Brain Syndrome, Acute Confusional State, Delirium
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.