Niaspan and Gout - from FDA reports
Gout is found among people who take Niaspan, especially for people who are male, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have High density lipoprotein decreased. This review analyzes which people have Gout with Niaspan. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 43,037 people who have side effects when taking Niaspan from FDA, and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Jul, 17, 2017
43,037 people reported to have side effects when taking Niaspan.
Among them, 230 people (0.53%) have Gout
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Niaspan when people have Gout *:
- < 1 month: 27.59 %
- 1 - 6 months: 24.14 %
- 6 - 12 months: 6.9 %
- 1 - 2 years: 27.59 %
- 2 - 5 years: 13.79 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Gout when taking Niaspan *:
- female: 17.04 %
- male: 82.96 %
Age of people who have Gout when taking Niaspan *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 1.69 %
- 40-49: 10.17 %
- 50-59: 33.9 %
- 60+: 54.24 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- High Density Lipoprotein Decreased (53 people, 23.04%)
- Low Density Lipoprotein Increased (15 people, 6.52%)
- Dyslipidaemia (8 people, 3.48%)
- Diabetes (7 people, 3.04%)
- Heart Attack (6 people, 2.61%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Aspirin (70 people, 30.43%)
- Allopurinol (46 people, 20.00%)
- Crestor (38 people, 16.52%)
- Lisinopril (36 people, 15.65%)
- Lipitor (27 people, 11.74%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Skin Blushing/flushing (74 people, 32.17%)
- Pain In Extremity (29 people, 12.61%)
- Itching (25 people, 10.87%)
- Rashes (21 people, 9.13%)
- Feeling Hot (21 people, 9.13%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Gout when taking Niaspan?
Niaspan has active ingredients of niacin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from Niaspan 43,978 users)
Gout (uric acid crystals building up in the body) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, gout, high blood pressure, pain (latest reports from 24,782 Gout patients).