Review: could Omeprazole cause Bone density loss (Bone Density Decreased)?
Summary: Bone density loss is found among people who take Omeprazole, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Zometa, and have Gastrooesophageal reflux disease.
We study 89,994 people who have side effects while taking Omeprazole from FDA and social media. Among them, 100 have Bone density loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Bone density loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Omeprazole and have Bone density loss >>>
Omeprazole has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. (latest outcomes from 92,879 Omeprazole users)
Bone density loss
Bone density loss has been reported by people with osteoporosis, osteopenia, depression, breast cancer, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 6,637 Bone density loss patients)
On Apr, 13, 2015: 89,969 people reported to have side effects when taking Omeprazole. Among them, 100 people (0.11%) have Bone Density Loss.
Time on Omeprazole when people have Bone density loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Bone density loss||0.00%||0.00%||60.00%||6.67%||0.00%||0.00%||33.33% |
Gender of people who have Bone density loss when taking Omeprazole * :
|Bone density loss||83.33%||16.67% |
Age of people who have Bone density loss when taking Omeprazole * :
|Bone density loss||0.00%||0.93%||0.00%||0.93%||0.00%||30.84%||28.97%||38.32% |
Severity of Bone density loss when taking Omeprazole ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Bone density loss||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Bone density loss ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (35 people, 35.00%)
- Osteoporosis (25 people, 25.00%)
- Hypertension (23 people, 23.00%)
- Pain (16 people, 16.00%)
- Muscle spasms (15 people, 15.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (47 people, 47.00%)
- Nexium (40 people, 40.00%)
- Dexamethasone (34 people, 34.00%)
- Zoloft (33 people, 33.00%)
- Chemotherapeutics nos (33 people, 33.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Bone Density Loss while taking Omeprazole?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Omeprazole and have Bone Density Loss
- support group for people who take Omeprazole
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Prilosec, Linzess for a 43-year old woman with Heartburn, Acne Pustular. The patient has Pancytopenia
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Omeprazole, Altace, Crestor, Flomax, Levoxyl for a 82-year old man with Blood Clots, Acid Reflux, High Blood Pressure, Birth Control, Urinary Ca+2, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Angina - Stable, Mouth Ulceration, Anaemia
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Lexapro, Risperdal, Concerta, Accutane for a 17-year old girl with Stomach Discomfort, Anxiety Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Adhd, Acne And Teenagers. The patient has Painful Menstrual Periods, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weakness
- A study of drug interactions between Chlorzoxazone, Omeprazole for a 32-year old man with Muscle Tightness, Acid Reflux. The patient has Throat - Sore, Throat Lesion
- A study of drug interactions between Sitagliptin Phosphate, Omeprazole, Prednisolone, Levothyroxine Sodium, Metformin for a 68-year old woman with Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent, Gallstones, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Hypothyroidism, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent. The patient has Itching
Recent Omeprazole related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Atenolol, Omeprazole for a 83-year old man who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Pantoprazole for a 49-year old woman who has Ulcer - Duodenal Or Gastric
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Phentermine, Zorvolex, Gabapentin for a 49-year old woman who has Nerve Pain
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Citalopram Hydrobromide, Mebeverine Hydrochloride, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Omeprazole, Lamotrigine for a 41-year old woman who has Temporal Lobe Nocturnal Epilepsy, Underactive Thyroid, IBS,depression, GERD
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.