Review: could Omeprazole cause Burning mouth syndrome?
Summary: Burning mouth syndrome is found among people who take Omeprazole, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Lansoprazole, and have Gastrooesophageal reflux disease.
We study 89,969 people who have side effects while taking Omeprazole from FDA and social media. Among them, 20 have Burning mouth syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Burning mouth syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Omeprazole and have Burning mouth syndrome >>>
Omeprazole has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. (latest outcomes from 92,866 Omeprazole users)
Burning mouth syndrome
Burning mouth syndrome (pain in the mouth and burning sensation on tongue) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, depression, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep disorder. (latest reports from 367 Burning mouth syndrome patients)
On Mar, 26, 2015: 89,969 people reported to have side effects when taking Omeprazole. Among them, 20 people (0.02%) have Burning Mouth Syndrome.
Time on Omeprazole when people have Burning mouth syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Burning mouth syndrome||22.22%||22.22%||33.33%||0.00%||11.11%||0.00%||11.11% |
Gender of people who have Burning mouth syndrome when taking Omeprazole * :
|Burning mouth syndrome||95.00%||5.00% |
Age of people who have Burning mouth syndrome when taking Omeprazole * :
|Burning mouth syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||20.00%||65.00%||15.00% |
Severity of Burning mouth syndrome when taking Omeprazole ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Burning mouth syndrome||0.00%||22.22%||77.78%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Burning mouth syndrome ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Burning mouth syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (10 people, 50.00%)
- Bipolar disorder (2 people, 10.00%)
- Acid reflux (2 people, 10.00%)
- Hypertension (2 people, 10.00%)
- Gerd (2 people, 10.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lansoprazole (5 people, 25.00%)
- Lamictal (3 people, 15.00%)
- Norvasc (2 people, 10.00%)
- Amaryl (2 people, 10.00%)
- Sertraline hydrochloride (2 people, 10.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of omeprazole and burning mouth syndrome on
Do you have Burning Mouth Syndrome while taking Omeprazole?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Omeprazole and have Burning Mouth Syndrome
- support group for people who take Omeprazole
- support group for people who have Burning Mouth Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Omeprazole for a 55-year old man with Barrett's Esophagus. The patient has Barrett's Esophagus (barrett's oesophagus is a disorder in which the lining of the oesophagus (the tube that carries food from the throat to the stomach) is damaged by stomach acid and changed to a lining similar to that of the stomach), Ischemic Colitis (inflammation and injury of the large intestine result from inadequate blood)
- A study of side effects of Omeprazole for a 33-year old woman with Ulcer - Stomach. The patient has Sweating - Excessive (abnormally increased sweating)
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Myrbetriq, Atacand, Diltiazem Hydrochloride for a 66-year old man with Dyspepsia, Oab, Hypertension. The patient has Bradycardia
- A study of drug interactions between Calcium, Vitamin D, Magnesium Sulfate In Plastic Container, Biotin, Vitamin B12, Cytomel, Singulair, Elavil, Omeprazole, Effexor Xr for a 41-year old woman with Osteoporosis, Chronic Depression, Migraine - Classic, Keratosis Pilaris, Asthma, Gerd. The patient has High Blood Pressure
- A study of drug interactions between Ranitidine, Omeprazole, Rapaflo, Tribenzor for a 67-year old man with Acid Reflux, Enlarged Prostate, High Blood Pressure. The patient has High Blood Pressure
Recent Omeprazole related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Levothyroxine Sodium, Omeprazole, Keppra for a 68-year old woman who has Confusion, Barrett's Esophagus
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Pantoprazole for a 63-year old woman who has GE Reflux
- Comparions of Dexilant, Omeprazole, Nexium for a 65-year old woman who has Ppi
- Comparions of Prednisone, Omeprazole, Linzess, Ambien for a 22-year old woman who has Migraine
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.