Review: could Omeprazole cause Tinnitus?
Summary: Tinnitus is found among people who take Omeprazole, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lorazepam, and have Depression.
We study 89,994 people who have side effects while taking Omeprazole from FDA and social media. Among them, 344 have Tinnitus. Find out below who they are, when they have Tinnitus and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Omeprazole and have Tinnitus >>>
Omeprazole has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. (latest outcomes from 92,893 Omeprazole users)
Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, stress and anxiety. (latest reports from 20,273 Tinnitus patients)
On Mar, 27, 2015: 89,969 people reported to have side effects when taking Omeprazole. Among them, 348 people (0.39%) have Tinnitus.
Time on Omeprazole when people have Tinnitus * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Tinnitus when taking Omeprazole * :
Age of people who have Tinnitus when taking Omeprazole * :
Severity of Tinnitus when taking Omeprazole ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Tinnitus ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (47 people, 13.51%)
- Hypertension (43 people, 12.36%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (32 people, 9.20%)
- Dyspepsia (29 people, 8.33%)
- Multiple myeloma (25 people, 7.18%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lorazepam (71 people, 20.40%)
- Clonazepam (70 people, 20.11%)
- Neurontin (59 people, 16.95%)
- Aspirin (56 people, 16.09%)
- Mirtazapine (45 people, 12.93%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Martins (11 months ago):
hello everyone, i have tinitus since four month ago. I started with this sintomatic after using omeprazole in convination with clonazepan. after i've been read this article ,i suspended omeprazole and day by day the tinitus frequency is less. i want to leave my experience to help to people who have tinitus and who use this convination of drugs.
It's important to know that the recuperation process is very slow and it's necesary keep calm.
Reply the comment
Paul (4 years ago):
I've been taking omeprazole for almost 2 years and you're not going to believe this... I too had an fainting attack. Thought it might be MS, or brain tumor, but everything (MRI Scan, Heart Tests) came back clear.
I've also got an itchy foot.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of omeprazole and tinnitus on
Do you have Tinnitus while taking Omeprazole?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Omeprazole and have Tinnitus
- support group for people who take Omeprazole
- support group for people who have Tinnitus
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Lotrel for a 52-year old woman with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Tinnitus
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Omeprazole, Altace, Crestor, Flomax, Levoxyl for a 82-year old man with Blood Clots, Acid Reflux, High Blood Pressure, Birth Control, Urinary Ca+2, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Angina - Stable, Mouth Ulceration, Anaemia
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Lexapro, Risperdal, Concerta, Accutane for a 17-year old girl with Stomach Discomfort, Anxiety Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Adhd, Acne And Teenagers. The patient has Painful Menstrual Periods, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weakness
- A study of side effects of Lamictal for a 32-year old woman with Lyme Disease. The patient has Tinnitus Aggravated
- A study of drug interactions between Chlorzoxazone, Omeprazole for a 32-year old man with Muscle Tightness, Acid Reflux. The patient has Throat - Sore, Throat Lesion
Recent Omeprazole related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Atenolol, Omeprazole for a 83-year old man who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Pantoprazole for a 49-year old woman who has Ulcer - Duodenal Or Gastric
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Phentermine, Zorvolex, Gabapentin for a 49-year old woman who has Nerve Pain
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Citalopram Hydrobromide, Mebeverine Hydrochloride, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Omeprazole, Lamotrigine for a 41-year old woman who has Temporal Lobe Nocturnal Epilepsy, Underactive Thyroid, IBS,depression, GERD
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.