Review: could Omeprazole cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Omeprazole, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Pain.
We study 89,969 people who have side effects while taking Omeprazole from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,288 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Omeprazole and have Weight gain >>>
Omeprazole has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. (latest outcomes from 92,866 Omeprazole users)
Weight gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 76,623 Weight gain patients)
On Mar, 26, 2015: 89,969 people reported to have side effects when taking Omeprazole. Among them, 1,288 people (1.43%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Omeprazole when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||25.88%||23.53%||8.24%||14.12%||14.12%||9.41%||4.71% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Omeprazole * :
|Weight gain||71.86%||28.14% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Omeprazole * :
|Weight gain||0.17%||0.61%||1.57%||3.83%||7.06%||21.43%||26.22%||39.11% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Omeprazole ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||4.76%||57.14%||35.71%||2.38% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||5.56%||0.00%||94.44% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (158 people, 12.27%)
- Hypertension (144 people, 11.18%)
- Depression (144 people, 11.18%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (138 people, 10.71%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (108 people, 8.39%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (221 people, 17.16%)
- Furosemide (194 people, 15.06%)
- Prednisone (162 people, 12.58%)
- Lisinopril (156 people, 12.11%)
- Methotrexate (135 people, 10.48%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of omeprazole and weight gain on
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Omeprazole?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Omeprazole and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Omeprazole
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Metoprolol Succinate, Methotrexate Sodium Preservative Free, Plavix, Plaquenil, Humira, Folic Acid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 59-year old woman with Coronary Artery Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Omeprazole for a 55-year old man with Barrett's Esophagus. The patient has Barrett's Esophagus (barrett's oesophagus is a disorder in which the lining of the oesophagus (the tube that carries food from the throat to the stomach) is damaged by stomach acid and changed to a lining similar to that of the stomach), Ischemic Colitis (inflammation and injury of the large intestine result from inadequate blood)
- A study of side effects of Omeprazole for a 33-year old woman with Ulcer - Stomach. The patient has Sweating - Excessive (abnormally increased sweating)
- A study of side effects of Lithium Carbonate for a 67-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development), Dry Mouth, Weight Gain, Sleepiness - During The Day (excess sleeping during day time)
- A study of drug interactions between Alesse, Garcinia Cambogia for a 34-year old woman with Premenstrual Syndrome, Weight Loss. The patient has Fluid Retention, Weight Gain
Recent Omeprazole related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Levothyroxine Sodium, Omeprazole, Keppra for a 68-year old woman who has Confusion, Barrett's Esophagus
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Pantoprazole for a 63-year old woman who has GE Reflux
- Comparions of Dexilant, Omeprazole, Nexium for a 65-year old woman who has Ppi
- Comparions of Prednisone, Omeprazole, Linzess, Ambien for a 22-year old woman who has Migraine
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.