Review: could Omeprazole cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Omeprazole, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Pain.
We study 89,994 people who have side effects while taking Omeprazole from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,291 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Omeprazole and have Weight gain >>>
Omeprazole has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. (latest outcomes from 92,879 Omeprazole users)
Weight gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 76,623 Weight gain patients)
On Mar, 26, 2015: 89,969 people reported to have side effects when taking Omeprazole. Among them, 1,288 people (1.43%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Omeprazole when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||25.88%||23.53%||8.24%||14.12%||14.12%||9.41%||4.71% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Omeprazole * :
|Weight gain||71.86%||28.14% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Omeprazole * :
|Weight gain||0.17%||0.61%||1.57%||3.83%||7.06%||21.43%||26.22%||39.11% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Omeprazole ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||4.76%||57.14%||35.71%||2.38% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||5.56%||0.00%||94.44% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (158 people, 12.27%)
- Hypertension (144 people, 11.18%)
- Depression (144 people, 11.18%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (138 people, 10.71%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (108 people, 8.39%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (221 people, 17.16%)
- Furosemide (194 people, 15.06%)
- Prednisone (162 people, 12.58%)
- Lisinopril (156 people, 12.11%)
- Methotrexate (135 people, 10.48%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of omeprazole and weight gain on
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Omeprazole?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Omeprazole and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Omeprazole
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Simvastatin, Hydroxyzine, Effexor Xr for a 36-year old woman with Hypertension, High Blood Cholesterol, Insomnia, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Omeprazole, Altace, Crestor, Flomax, Levoxyl for a 82-year old man with Blood Clots, Acid Reflux, High Blood Pressure, Birth Control, Urinary Ca+2, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Angina - Stable, Mouth Ulceration, Anaemia
- A study of side effects of Effexor for a 45-year old woman with Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Lexapro, Risperdal, Concerta, Accutane for a 17-year old girl with Stomach Discomfort, Anxiety Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Adhd, Acne And Teenagers. The patient has Painful Menstrual Periods, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weakness
- A study of side effects of Seroquel for a 40-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Weight Gain
Recent Omeprazole related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Pantoprazole for a 49-year old woman who has Ulcer - Duodenal Or Gastric
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Phentermine, Zorvolex, Gabapentin for a 49-year old woman who has Nerve Pain
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Citalopram Hydrobromide, Mebeverine Hydrochloride, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Omeprazole, Lamotrigine for a 41-year old woman who has Temporal Lobe Nocturnal Epilepsy, Underactive Thyroid, IBS,depression, GERD
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Escitalopram for a 44-year old man who has Anxiety
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.