Review: could Penicillin cause Bloating (Abdominal bloating)?
Summary: Bloating is reported only by a few people who take Penicillin.
We study 1,430 people who have side effects while taking Penicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 2 have Bloating. Find out below who they are, when they have Bloating and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Penicillin and have Bloating >>>
Penicillin has active ingredients of penicillin g potassium. It is often used in infection. (view latest outcomes from 1,808 users)
Bloating (feeling of tightness around abdomen) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, gastroesophageal reflux disease, stress and anxiety, birth control.(latest reports from Bloating 298 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 1,430 people reported to have side effects when taking Penicillin. Among them, 2 people (0.14%) have Bloating.
Time on Penicillin when people have Bloating * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Bloating when taking Penicillin * :
Age of people who have Bloating when taking Penicillin * :
Severity of Bloating when taking Penicillin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Bloating ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Headache (1 people, 50.00%)
- Diarrhea (1 people, 50.00%)
- Sinus infection (1 people, 50.00%)
- Gerd (1 people, 50.00%)
- Temporomandibular joint disorders (1 people, 50.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prilosec otc (1 people, 50.00%)
- Tylenol (1 people, 50.00%)
- Loratadine (1 people, 50.00%)
- Erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide (1 people, 50.00%)
- Vicodin (1 people, 50.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Airman Kevin (2 years ago):
I am relatively new to being on any medication. I am taking penicillin to remove the nerves in my mouth from any bacteria so the dentist can successfully numb my mouth to a root canal. This is my second root canal, so I have been through this before. Only this time, I have been experiencing bloating in my upper abdomen. I have been taking the medication 4 times a day.
1.) Waking up.
2.) After lunch.
3.) After Dinner.
4.) Night time.
I have yet to experiment whether this only happens when I take it after my meals or if it always happens. I will update tomorrow with my results.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Bloating while taking Penicillin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Penicillin and have Bloating
- support group for people who take Penicillin
- support group for people who have Bloating
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can penicillin cause dry mouth
I have been feeling run down then came down with bad
Tonsillitis since taki g penicillin my mum is really dry why?
- Since having my gallbladder removed, i have been having an ileum occur. does anyone know why this happens? i have celiac and never had a stomache or vomiting until the gladdbladder was removed.
i feel that the removal of the gallbladder has caused my symptom. I never had a problem with my stomach before the removal of gallbladder. I have celiac, and I follow a strict gluten-free diet. If anyone can share some insight on why I would have these symptoms, it would greatly be appreciated.
- Can my symptoms actually pinpoint a cause/condition? (1 answer)
I would just like insight on this. I'm on pain management right now, but it's just to manage the pain. Every thing else has really been not taken serious by any physican it office I've been to. Is this normal stuff many woman go through? I'm just sick of feeling like this between the constant pain & the daily having to pluck hairs it's insane. I'm in fantastic shape(used to be double my weight & now I'm 100lbs), the best looking I've ever been with a incredibly good looking husband & a wonderful family. My issues seem to detour a lot of things & while I'm young I'd like to get this solved or some type of solution to even maintain myself, not looking for a miracle, but would really appreciate answers.
- Why are my medications making me look bloated (1 answer)
In 2008 I started the Suboxone Program. I Started on 16mg since then, I have been up and down on my doses. I was put on this drug as a result of my addiction to to over the counter opiates. I was also prescribed Seroquel, I stopped taking the Seroquel it wasn't helping me in anyway and I gained so much weight. In 2012 I was diagnosed with Bipolar and my psychiatrist put me on 300Mg Effexor, 20Mg Olanzipane and 1000Mg of Valpro. After 10 months I was able to stop taking the Valpro and Olanzipane. No matter how much weight I lose, I always appear so puffy and bloated in the face, especially under my eyes, they look like I haven't slept for weeks. I have very low self esteem as it is, this is making me feel miserable. I should also mention, that i got down 1MG of the Suboxone, after various stresses I went right back up to 18Mg. I have finally started to turn a corner and I am now reducing my dose at the right pace. It would make me feel so much better if I knew if even one more person was having this experience. Any feedback would be so appreciated. I send this with love from Australia :)
- Problem with my kidneys??
In November, My husband had to rush me to the ER because I was having terrible pain in my left kidney area. After a CT scan, it was determined that I had 2 kidney stones trying to pass together. One was 1mm and the other was 3mm, and caused excruciating pain. So they prescribed me Flomax and I thought I had passed them as the pain finally went away. But ever since then, I have been experiencing like an ache (feels like a muscle spasm or pulled muscle) in my left hip and around to my left kidneys and down through into the top of my left thigh. The painf or discomfort isn't sharp, it just is noticeable. I do get gas frequently and have been bloated as well (both these have occurred before the stones due to IBS). I am also experiencing some lightheadedness and nausea. So I guess what I am asking is, would this be more kidney stones or like a kidney infection or something else??
Any help would be great.
More questions for: Penicillin, Bloating
More reviews for: Penicillin, Bloating
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I take 60 of the Adderall XR a day. I have stomach bloating and gas and have been diagnosed via a blood test that I have celiac disease. I have tried to eat a gluten-free diet but find it expensive and time consuming. Some days are better than others but most days I feel bloated and cannot stand any ...
- I've taken oxybutynin for 20+ years. Some 10 years ago my stomach seemingly stopped being able to digest food well. Symptoms include acid reflux/GERD, belching, abdominal bloating, increased spasms, and severely decreased sleep. UCSF, Stanford, and gastroenterologists have not been able to diagnose ...
- I have IBS and have had bloating and gas pain in the past, but I'm taking Linzess which has kept it under control. I started taking Lefunomide 20 mg and within 12 hrs I had a severe case of gas pain and bloating that I couldn't get to go away and has lingered for 3 days
- History of comets Pancreas divisum, chronic & recurrent acute pancreatitis, gastric bile reflux
20+ ERCP/panc stents/sphincterotomies
Total Pancretectomy with auto islet cell transplant/splenectomy
Sub colectomy (80% of colon removed)
- The symptoms listed above are from taking the carafate only. I have been on this for a week now taking it 3 times a day an hour before a meal at the same time daily. I feel bloated, constipated and am having a very hard stool then to diarrhea and it burns, I also feel as if gas is stuck in my abdome ...
More related studies for: Penicillin, Bloating
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.