Review: could Penicillin cause Bloating (Abdominal bloating)?
Summary: Bloating is reported only by a few people who take Penicillin.
We study 1,438 people who have side effects while taking Penicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 2 have Bloating. Find out below who they are, when they have Bloating and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Penicillin and have Bloating >>>
Penicillin has active ingredients of penicillin g potassium. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from 1,812 Penicillin users)
Bloating (feeling of tightness around abdomen) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, gastroesophageal reflux disease, stress and anxiety, birth control. (latest reports from 520 Bloating patients)
On Mar, 15, 2015: 1,438 people reported to have side effects when taking Penicillin. Among them, 2 people (0.14%) have Bloating.
Time on Penicillin when people have Bloating * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Bloating when taking Penicillin * :
Age of people who have Bloating when taking Penicillin * :
Severity of Bloating when taking Penicillin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Bloating ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Headache (1 people, 50.00%)
- Diarrhea (1 people, 50.00%)
- Sinus infection (1 people, 50.00%)
- Gerd (1 people, 50.00%)
- Temporomandibular joint disorders (1 people, 50.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prilosec otc (1 people, 50.00%)
- Tylenol (1 people, 50.00%)
- Loratadine (1 people, 50.00%)
- Erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide (1 people, 50.00%)
- Vicodin (1 people, 50.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Airman Kevin (2 years ago):
I am relatively new to being on any medication. I am taking penicillin to remove the nerves in my mouth from any bacteria so the dentist can successfully numb my mouth to a root canal. This is my second root canal, so I have been through this before. Only this time, I have been experiencing bloating in my upper abdomen. I have been taking the medication 4 times a day.
1.) Waking up.
2.) After lunch.
3.) After Dinner.
4.) Night time.
I have yet to experiment whether this only happens when I take it after my meals or if it always happens. I will update tomorrow with my results.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of penicillin and bloating on
Do you have Bloating while taking Penicillin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Penicillin and have Bloating
- support group for people who take Penicillin
- support group for people who have Bloating
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Penicillin, Clonazepam, Alesse, Citalopram Hydrobromide for a 26-year old woman with Pericoronitis, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Birth Control, Major Depression. The patient has Swollen Lymph Nodes, Fever, Swallowing Difficulty, Pericoronitis, Swelling Face
- A study of drug interactions between Hydrochlorothiazide, Lasix, Metformin for a 38-year old woman with Edema - Peripheral, Peripheral Edema, Passed Out, Diabetes. The patient has Constipation, Bloating, Painful Urination, Pain - Leg, Unable To Get Pregnant, Unable To Concentrate, Passed Out
- A study of side effects of Xarelto for a 43-year old woman with DVT. The patient has Bloating (feeling of tightness around abdomen), Tiredness (feeling of tiredness), Weight Gain, Meningorrhagia (bleeding from cerebral or spinal membranes)
- A study of drug interactions between Levothyroxine Sodium, Citalopram Hydrobromide, Premarin for a 60-year old woman with Hypothyroidism, Anxiety And Stress, Hormone Replacement. The patient has Carpul Tunnel Pain, Frequent Headaches, Abdominal Bloating, Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Lamictal, Vitamin D, Multivitamin, Fish Oil, Effexor, Lipitor, Estradiol for a 58-year old woman with Mood Disorder, Autoimmune Disorder, Nutrition - Inadequate, Heart Disease, Anxiety Disorder, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Menopausal Symptoms. The patient has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Constipation, Headache, Tension, Eyes - Dry, Abdominal Bloating
Recent Penicillin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.