Review: could Penicillin cause Uti (Urinary tract infection)?
Summary: Uti is found among people who take Penicillin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Penicillin v potassium, and have Metastases to bone.
We study 1,430 people who have side effects while taking Penicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 22 have Uti. Find out below who they are, when they have Uti and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Penicillin and have Uti >>>
Penicillin has active ingredients of penicillin g potassium. It is often used in infection. (view latest outcomes from 1,808 users)
Uti (urinary tract infection) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, pain.(latest reports from Uti 64,558 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 1,430 people reported to have side effects when taking Penicillin. Among them, 22 people (1.54%) have Uti.
Time on Penicillin when people have Uti * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Uti when taking Penicillin * :
Age of people who have Uti when taking Penicillin * :
Severity of Uti when taking Penicillin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Uti ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Metastases to bone (8 people, 36.36%)
- Hypertension (7 people, 31.82%)
- Hypercholesterolaemia (6 people, 27.27%)
- Pain (1 people, 4.55%)
- Neuropathy peripheral (1 people, 4.55%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Penicillin v potassium (16 people, 72.73%)
- Lisinopril (15 people, 68.18%)
- Aredia (14 people, 63.64%)
- Lipitor (14 people, 63.64%)
- Verapamil (11 people, 50.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Uti while taking Penicillin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Penicillin and have Uti
- support group for people who take Penicillin
- support group for people who have Uti
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can penicillin cause dry mouth
I have been feeling run down then came down with bad
Tonsillitis since taki g penicillin my mum is really dry why?
- Warfarin and urinary infections (1 answer)
HELP! Hello we are in the UK - my husband had an aortic valve replacement 4 years ago - he is now 61 and on warfarin. Over the past few years, since his AVR, he has had about 4/5 urinary infections which have caused him to be hospitalised with very high temperature/rigors etc. The medical profession in the UK seem to think there is no correlation between warfarin and urinary infections. He has been checked out to see if there is a problem with his bladder/prostrate/kidneys but all are okay and the only link we can see is when his warfarin is increased to a high dose (10mg or above) he gets this infection.
Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone know where I could go for more information on a possible link?
Thank you for your help.
- Can i take my macrobid while i have a hangover? is it safe?
Help me please! I really need to know if I can take my pill (macrobid) when I have a hangover
- Does a side effect exist through maca (nutrition supplement from peru) like urinary tract infection or a kidney infection? (1 answer)
Burn feelings in the urethra (bottom of penis) during pee and (soft) stitches in the kidneys
- Did anyone get sore throat while undergoing medication for uti
I had been diagnosed with UTI last week. I had been experiencing pain when unrinating thus I consulted my OBGyne for I had been once checked by a Urologist and told me that my UTI is not related to any kidney problems thus recommending me to see an OBGyne.
My OBGyne told me that I take Zinnat twice a day for seven days. I had been taking my medicine since then. However, I had sore throat by the 6th day I had been taking the medicine. I am not sure whether I had sore throat due to the medication or for any other reasons. My next appointment with my OBGyne is three days away. I do not know whether I should tell her about it or wait till my appointment.
More questions for: Penicillin, Uti
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Urinary track infection and bydureon
After 7 weeks of nausea vomiting and diarrhea I got a uti that was hard to get rid of. I also have an inflammation of sacaril nerve. Have had antibiotics and steroids. It is still hurting after 2 months.Don't know if this is connected but is a fact.
- I have twice developed a uti after injection of prolia
I have taken Prolia for 2 years..4 injections. After the last 2 injections within 2 weeks I developed severe cystitis and had to go on course of antibiotics. I am fearful of continuing this medication as the last infection caused me to be treated at the emergency room.
- Flagyl and hair loss
I was miserable already but the side effects of this medicine only compounded it. I have had severe diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea, a horrible metallic taste in my mouth and worst of all I have patches of hair that have completely fallen out!! I am horrified that this medicine is even prescribed to people if these side effects are profound. I will be calling my dr for a new antibiotic, and I will NEVER take this "medicine" again!
- Temporary amnesia from uti
I developed a Urinary Tract Infection which caused sudden severe pain and temporary amnesia for about 5 hours. I am going to start a Candida diet and stop eating all sugars and yeast. This can take a long period of time but as I am 60 years old and have been eating sugar for most of my life, it won't happen overnight. The only medication that I take is Cipramil for Fibromyalgia. I suffer quite badly from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and must not have caffeine, dairy, or wheat. If I do, I pay the price. Sugar causes blisters in my mouth,and blisters under my breasts and armpits. If I don't have sugar, these symptoms go away. So after the amnesia episode, I will work harder at making myself healthy again.
More reviews for: Penicillin, Uti
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have been experiencing reoccurring UTI's and now have symptoms of acid reflux. I started taking Savella about 2 years ago. So I am trying to determine if these symptoms could be being caused by the medications.
- Have a VP shunt, scoliosis and chronic pain syndrome. Have had 7 day course of antibiotics for a UTI but still have symptoms. Abdominal pain especially near the distal end of shunt catheter. Had hot sweats. Concern infection has gone to the shunt.
- I had ear infection but today my cheek on the other side hurts along with my tooth and pain is severe and shifting but I do not have pain in infected ear anymore. I have rectal bleeding and constipation.
- 52 years old.Been on pravastatin 1 month and incurred my first ever urinary tract infection. Have gone thru 4 rounds of antibiotics and still have infection and blood in urine 5 months later. Clears with antibiotic then reoccurs shortly thereafter
- patient admitted to hospital with fractured pelvis, week later developed urinary infection. using heavy morphine for pain. what interactions could the sufamethoxazole and morphine have. patient seemingly in a morphuine induced coma.
More related studies for: Penicillin, Uti
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.