Review: could Phenytoin sodium cause Tinnitus?
Summary: Tinnitus is found among people who take Phenytoin sodium, especially for people who are male, 40-49 old, also take medication Carbamazepine, and have Post-traumatic stress disorder.
We study 3,506 people who have side effects while taking Phenytoin sodium from FDA and social media. Among them, 12 have Tinnitus. Find out below who they are, when they have Tinnitus and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Phenytoin sodium and have Tinnitus >>>
Phenytoin Sodium has active ingredients of phenytoin sodium. It is often used in epilepsy. (latest outcomes from 3,577 Phenytoin Sodium users)
Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, stress and anxiety. (latest reports from 20,240 Tinnitus patients)
On Mar, 13, 2015: 3,506 people reported to have side effects when taking Phenytoin sodium. Among them, 12 people (0.34%) have Tinnitus.
Time on Phenytoin sodium when people have Tinnitus * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Tinnitus when taking Phenytoin sodium * :
Age of people who have Tinnitus when taking Phenytoin sodium * :
Severity of Tinnitus when taking Phenytoin sodium ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Tinnitus ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (4 people, 33.33%)
- Convulsion (2 people, 16.67%)
- Anxiety (2 people, 16.67%)
- Syncope (2 people, 16.67%)
- Epilepsy (1 people, 8.33%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Carbamazepine (4 people, 33.33%)
- Diazepam (4 people, 33.33%)
- Tramadol hcl (4 people, 33.33%)
- Phenytoin sodium cap (3 people, 25.00%)
- Paroxetine hcl (3 people, 25.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of phenytoin sodium and tinnitus on
Do you have Tinnitus while taking Phenytoin Sodium?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Phenytoin sodium and have Tinnitus
- support group for people who take Phenytoin sodium
- support group for people who have Tinnitus
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Methotrexate for a 53-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Hearing Loss, Ringing In The Ears (a ringing in the ears)
- A study of drug interactions between Seroquel, Gabapentin, Apple Cider Vinegar, Terramycin, Turmeric, Vitamin D, Glutamine, Tobrex, Glutamic Acid HCl, Paracetamol, Timolol Maleate, Bimatoprost, Alphagan, Adalat Cc for a 64-year old man with Insomnia, Low Back Pain, Ibs, Eye Infection, Headache, Glaucoma, Hypertension. The patient has Tinnitus
- A study of drug interactions between Tamiflu, Albuterol Sulfate And Ipratropium Bromide, Nitrostat, Ondansetron, Oxycodone, Actemra, Nasonex, Spiriva, Victoza, Arava, Diovan Hct, Lipitor, Ranexa, Lantus Solostar, Wellbutrin Xl, Tricor, Carvedilol, Plavix, Xarelto for a 71-year old woman with Influenza B, Copd, Angina, Nausea And Vomiting, Pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Rhinitis, Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control, Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia, Diabetes Mellitus, Stop Smoking, Blood Clots. The patient has Shortness Of Breath, Neuropathy, Tinnitus, Loss Of Coordination, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weight Loss, Appetite - Decreased, Diarrhea, Nausea And Vomiting
- A study of drug interactions between Atorvastatin Calcium, Levothyroxine Sodium, Dilantin for a 66-year old man with High Blood Cholesterol, Hypothyroidism, Seizure - Grand Mal. The patient has Finger Cramps, No Energy, Difficulty Breathing, Irritability, Sensitivity To The Cold
- A study of side effects of Colofac for a 66-year old woman with IBS. The patient has Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears)
Recent Phenytoin sodium related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.