Review: could Plaquenil cause Blindness?
Summary: Blindness is found among people who take Plaquenil, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Klonopin, and have Joint deposit.
We study 14,744 people who have side effects while taking Plaquenil from FDA and social media. Among them, 45 have Blindness. Find out below who they are, when they have Blindness and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Blindness >>>
Plaquenil has active ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 15,554 Plaquenil users)
Blindness has been reported by people with diabetes, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, erection problems, osteoporosis. (latest reports from 14,677 Blindness patients)
On Mar, 30, 2015: 14,744 people reported to have side effects when taking Plaquenil. Among them, 45 people (0.31%) have Blindness.
Time on Plaquenil when people have Blindness * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Blindness when taking Plaquenil * :
Age of people who have Blindness when taking Plaquenil * :
Severity of Blindness when taking Plaquenil ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Blindness ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Joint deposit (20 people, 44.44%)
- Spinal column stenosis (20 people, 44.44%)
- Calcinosis (18 people, 40.00%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (7 people, 15.56%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (7 people, 15.56%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Klonopin (21 people, 46.67%)
- Concerta (20 people, 44.44%)
- Remeron (20 people, 44.44%)
- Lamictal (20 people, 44.44%)
- Vicodin (16 people, 35.56%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of plaquenil and blindness on
Do you have Blindness while taking Plaquenil?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Blindness
- support group for people who take Plaquenil
- support group for people who have Blindness
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Metoprolol Succinate, Methotrexate Sodium Preservative Free, Plavix, Plaquenil, Humira, Folic Acid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 59-year old woman with Coronary Artery Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisolone, Plaquenil, Leflunomide, Methotrexate for a 63-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Folliculitis
- A study of drug interactions between Ginkgo Biloba, Cetirizine Hydrochloride, Armour Thyroid, Plaquenil, Benicar for a 68-year old woman with Blood Thinner, Allergy, Hypothyroidism, Pml, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Itchy Rash On Arms And Chest
- A study of drug interactions between Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Zoloft, Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 53-year old woman with Hair Loss, Iga Deficiency, Depression, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus Erythematosus. The patient has Don't Want To Socialize At All
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisone, Plaquenil, Methotrexate, Orencia for a 60-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Appendicitis Perforated
Recent Plaquenil related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 57-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Celebrex, Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Methotrexate for a 56-year old man who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for a 66-year old woman who has Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Comparions of Plaquenil, Enbrel for a 60-year old woman who has Psoriatic Arthritis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.