Home > Plaquenil > Dry mouth > Plaquenil and Dry mouth
Review: could Plaquenil cause Dry mouth?
Summary: Dry mouth is found among people who take Plaquenil, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Prednisone, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 14,706 people who have side effects while taking Plaquenil from FDA and social media. Among them, 149 have Dry mouth. Find out below who they are, when they have Dry mouth and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Dry mouth >>>
Plaquenil (latest outcomes from 15,510 users) has active ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis.
Dry mouth (latest reports from 30,429 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol.
On Nov, 14, 2014: 14,693 people reported to have side effects when taking Plaquenil. Among them, 149 people (1.01%) have Dry Mouth.
Time on Plaquenil when people have Dry mouth * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Dry mouth||21.43%||42.86%||21.43%||7.14%||7.14%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Dry mouth when taking Plaquenil * :
|Dry mouth||82.69%||17.31% |
Age of people who have Dry mouth when taking Plaquenil * :
|Dry mouth||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||3.73%||8.21%||19.40%||42.54%||26.12% |
Severity of Dry mouth when taking Plaquenil ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Dry mouth||0.00%||44.44%||44.44%||11.11% |
How people recovered from Dry mouth ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Dry mouth||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (26 people, 17.45%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (26 people, 17.45%)
- Osteoporosis (26 people, 17.45%)
- Mouth ulceration (16 people, 10.74%)
- Skin ulcer (16 people, 10.74%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone (46 people, 30.87%)
- Methotrexate (38 people, 25.50%)
- Nexium (37 people, 24.83%)
- Aredia (30 people, 20.13%)
- Zometa (30 people, 20.13%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Dry Mouth while taking Plaquenil?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Dry Mouth
- support group for people who take Plaquenil
- support group for people who have Dry Mouth
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can people with hypothyroidism take garcinia cambogia?
(Asked by a 15 year old girl who has Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura, Hypothyroidism, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, and takes Nabumetone, Levothyroxine Sodium, Prednisone, Plaquenil)
I have hypothyroidism, ITP, and MCTD. With me having all of these issues and taking all these different medications, I was wondering if it would be safe for me to take a diet pill named garcinia cambogia.
- So does hydroxychloroquine cause celiac desease?
(Asked by a 47 year old man who has Been Tested Twice For Celiac And Was Always Negitive. Started Hydroxychloroquine And Was Removed Due To Blurring Vision. Tested Again For Celiac And Supposedly It's Now Positive And Causing My Authrit, and takes Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate)
Been tested over the years for celiac and always negitive. Only had IBS. Took hydroxychloroquine for a year and it effected my vision. Then retested again for celiac because of authrits pain and now I'm positive for celiac.
- What causes it? and why is it so painful?
(Asked by a 45 year old woman who has Lupus, Shoulder Pain, and takes Plaquenil, Diclofenac Potassium)
I can lift my arm out in front of me but not out to the side!! The diclofenac doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? Has anyone been on benlysta?
- Does xarelto contribute to extreme thinning of hair
(Asked by a 72 year old woman who has Dry Eyes, Hypertension, Type 2 Diabetes, Atrial Fibrillation, and takes Glimepiride, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Gabapentin, Pravastatin Sodium, Metformin, Lisinopril, Xarelto)
extreme hair thinning
inability to relieve dry eye symptoms (burning, feeling of foreign object in eyes
can anything be done to correct these eymptoms
- Interactions between quineprox (hydroxychloroquine) &zyvox (linezolid)
(Asked by a 38 year old woman who has Headache, Fever, Swollen Fingers, Joint Pain, Muscle Tightness And Pain, and takes Zyvox, Cellcept)
I had foot soft tissue infection and hospitalized for two days and given IV for Cipro. Then I was released from the hospital and given Zyvox 600MG twice a day for ten days. Meanwhile, I am taking 2000 MG cellcept and 400MG Hydroxychloriquine for more than 10 years to control my lupus. Around the si ...
More questions for: Plaquenil, Dry mouth
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Had nms in 2005, will trileptal increase chance of recurrence?
(Posted by a 62 year old woman who has Narcolepsy, Prinzmetal's Angina , Antiphospholipid Syndrome, High Blood Pressure, Obsessive-compulsive Personality Disorder, Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome, Migraine With Aura, Herniated Intervertebral Disk, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent, Bipolar I Disorder, and takes Benadryl, Baclofen, Plaquenil, Nitro-bid, Maxalt-mlt, Imitrex, Zofran Odt, Ms Contin, Clonidine, Amlodipine Besylate, Novolog Flexpen, Levemir Flexpen, Halcion, Valium, Primidone, Neurontin, Trileptal)
In 2005 I had NMS, which was not detected by my drs for 4 months. I'd been on Lexapro & Seroquel for 2 yrs, but was weaned from Lexapro & placed on Lamictal 3/05. Began getting low-grade fevers, which I was told were not caused by the Lamictal. I quit taking it anyway, fevers (along with uncontrolla ...
- Spiriva caused me to swell up like a hippo.
(Posted by a 46 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and takes Advair Diskus 250/50, Methotrexate, Plaquenil, Metformin, Klonopin, Zanaflex, Prednisone, Singulair, Imitrex, Nexium)
My Doctor prescribed spiriva to help me breathe due to asthma/cold. I never smoked but my parents and friends were heavy smokers. I used the spiriva 3 times. Once a day for 3 days then I started swelling in my ankles and the swelling continued until my face, hands arms... basically I was so swollen ...
- Plaquinil use shortness of breath
(Posted by a 64 year old woman who has Osteoarthritis, and takes Plaquenil)
Approximately 4 months after starting Plaquenil, I observed I was experiencing SOB while lifting the patient I was caring for, also had severe muscle weakness. I had been out of the country for several weeks and thought I might have picked up something while in The Dominican. I was also losing wei ...
More reviews for: Plaquenil, Dry mouth
- A study of side effects of Vyvanse for a patient with ADHD. The patient has Irritability, Pain - Back, Dry Mouth, Teeth Grinding And Clenching (a condition in which you grind, gnash or clench your teeth), Vision Problems, Tolerance Increased, Sleep Talking (talking during sleeping), Breathing-related Sleep Disorder
Comments: These are some of the problems I am experiencing. It seems like my dosage is too high, however if I do not take more than 60mg at a time then the Vyvanse has no affect on me whatsoever. I am most concerned about waking up to catch my breath every 30 seconds at night. I was prescribed Adderrall throu ...
- A study of side effects of Vyvanse for a patient with ADD. The patient has Excessive Hunger Resulting In Headache, Dizziness, Foggy Thoughts, And Irritability, Dry Mouth, Jaw Lesion Excision, Thirst, Weight Gain
Comments: The lesions on face are like zits but not acne. They swell and pulsate and ooze throughout the day and have hard white or yellow waxy pits in them when popped. They respond to calamine lotion somewhat but have not gone away in 6 months, always occurring in the same place. From ear to ear under the j ...
- A study of side effects of Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for a patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Aortic Aneurysm Rupture (enlarged aortic artery rapture caused by a weakening of the artery wall)
Comments: upset stomach. extreme weight loss, 50 pounds in 4 months. muscle weakness, confusion, unsteady gait. stomach pain, anemic, need of blood transfusion, dry mouth, extreme tiredness, unable to eat or drink.
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Plaquenil for a patient with Vitamin D Deficiency, Palindromic Rheumatism. The patient has Fatigue, Fluid In Left Arm And Right Knee, Joint Pain
Comments: have had a swollen arm now for 10 months. Measures 7 cm more than right arm. Now swelling is also in forearm. Have had lymp test for blockages. No blockages found. Now starting to get same symptoms in right knee. have been diagnosed with palandromic rheumatoid for 2 years now. Positive RF 82 IU/ml. ...
- A study of drug interactions between Omega-3, Biotin, Multivitamin, Vitamin B12, Restasis, Vyvanse, Escitalopram, Plaquenil, Alprazolam, Trazodone Hydrochloride for a patient with Malnutrition, Sjogren's Syndrome, Add, Depression, Lupus, Anxiety, Fibromyalgia. The patient has Eating Disorder, Anxiety And Stress, Ocd, Weight Below Normal
Comments: In 2011- Gastric Bypass (wt 245#), In Feb. 2014, I weighed 145#. I am 5'8", Dr. wants me at 155#.
Increased stress from a new roommate in April caused severe anxiety resulting to weight dropping in July to 120# and subsequent diag of severe malnutrition. Anxiety is Diag and Alprazolam prescribed. ...
More related studies for: Plaquenil, Dry mouth
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.