Review: could Plaquenil cause Eye pain?
Summary: Eye pain is found among people who take Plaquenil, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Methotrexate, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 14,744 people who have side effects while taking Plaquenil from FDA and social media. Among them, 50 have Eye pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Eye pain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Eye pain >>>
Plaquenil has active ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 15,552 Plaquenil users)
Eye pain has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, glaucoma, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, depression. (latest reports from 13,631 Eye pain patients)
On Mar, 4, 2015: 14,739 people reported to have side effects when taking Plaquenil. Among them, 50 people (0.34%) have Eye Pain.
Time on Plaquenil when people have Eye pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Eye pain||0.00%||75.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||25.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Eye pain when taking Plaquenil * :
|Eye pain||82.69%||17.31% |
Age of people who have Eye pain when taking Plaquenil * :
|Eye pain||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||2.38%||0.00%||28.57%||19.05%||50.00% |
Severity of Eye pain when taking Plaquenil ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Eye pain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Eye pain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Eye pain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (16 people, 32.00%)
- Osteoporosis (8 people, 16.00%)
- Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (5 people, 10.00%)
- Psoriatic arthropathy (4 people, 8.00%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (4 people, 8.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Methotrexate (10 people, 20.00%)
- Prednisone (10 people, 20.00%)
- Vioxx (9 people, 18.00%)
- Enbrel (8 people, 16.00%)
- Lasix (8 people, 16.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of plaquenil and eye pain on
Do you have Eye Pain while taking Plaquenil?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Eye Pain
- support group for people who take Plaquenil
- support group for people who have Eye Pain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Zoloft, Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 53-year old woman with Hair Loss, Iga Deficiency, Depression, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus Erythematosus. The patient has Don't Want To Socialize At All
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisone, Plaquenil, Methotrexate, Orencia for a 60-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Appendicitis Perforated
- A study of drug interactions between Fluoxetine, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for a 57-year old woman with Depression, Lupus. The patient has Vulvar Itching
- A study of drug interactions between Calcium D - Glucarate, Vitamin D, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Prednisone, Hydrochlorothiazide, Nadolol for a 81-year old woman with Calcium Deficiency, Vitamin D Deficiency, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Polymyalgia, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Rash
- A study of drug interactions between Nortriptyline Hydrochloride, Plaquenil, Dicyclomine Hydrochloride, Pantoprazole, Hydrochlorothiazide, Cymbalta for a 60-year old woman with Blood Pressure, Ra, Stomach Discomfort, Acid Reflux, High Blood Pressure, Fibromyalgia. The patient has Bladder Irritation
Recent Plaquenil related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 57-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Celebrex, Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Methotrexate for a 56-year old man who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for a 66-year old woman who has Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Comparions of Plaquenil, Enbrel for a 60-year old woman who has Psoriatic Arthritis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.