Review: could Plaquenil cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Plaquenil, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Methotrexate, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 14,744 people who have side effects while taking Plaquenil from FDA and social media. Among them, 245 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Hair loss >>>
Plaquenil has active ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 15,554 Plaquenil users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,734 Hair loss patients)
On Mar, 27, 2015: 14,744 people reported to have side effects when taking Plaquenil. Among them, 245 people (1.66%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Plaquenil when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||22.22%||14.81%||11.11%||14.81%||14.81%||18.52%||3.70% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Plaquenil * :
|Hair loss||89.84%||10.16% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Plaquenil * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||0.96%||6.25%||12.50%||21.15%||30.29%||28.85% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Plaquenil ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||10.00%||50.00%||35.00%||5.00% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||10.00%||90.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (76 people, 31.02%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (30 people, 12.24%)
- Osteoporosis (17 people, 6.94%)
- Arthritis (16 people, 6.53%)
- Skin ulcer (9 people, 3.67%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Methotrexate (62 people, 25.31%)
- Enbrel (55 people, 22.45%)
- Prednisone (43 people, 17.55%)
- Fosamax (33 people, 13.47%)
- Folic acid (29 people, 11.84%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of plaquenil and hair loss on
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Plaquenil?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Plaquenil
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Metoprolol Succinate, Methotrexate Sodium Preservative Free, Plavix, Plaquenil, Humira, Folic Acid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 59-year old woman with Coronary Artery Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of LARIAM for a 68-year old woman with Malaria. The patient has Asthenia (weakness), Scar Revision (when the skin is injured from a cut or tears the body heals by forming scar tissue), Loss Of Hair
- A study of side effects of Bupropion Hydrochloride for a 46-year old woman with Depression. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisolone, Plaquenil, Leflunomide, Methotrexate for a 63-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Folliculitis
- A study of side effects of Unisom for a 51-year old woman with Insomnia. The patient has Aging Changes In The Face, Menstruation Irregular, Hair Loss, Presbyopia (condition in which the lens of the eye loses its ability to focus, making it difficult to see objects up close)
Recent Plaquenil related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 57-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Celebrex, Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Methotrexate for a 56-year old man who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for a 66-year old woman who has Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Comparions of Plaquenil, Enbrel for a 60-year old woman who has Psoriatic Arthritis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.