Review: could Plaquenil cause Hypertension (High blood pressure)?
Summary: Hypertension is found among people who take Plaquenil, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Prednisone, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 14,750 people who have side effects while taking Plaquenil from FDA and social media. Among them, 454 have Hypertension. Find out below who they are, when they have Hypertension and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Hypertension >>>
Plaquenil has active ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 15,559 Plaquenil users)
Hypertension (high blood pressure) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, depression, multiple sclerosis, pain. (latest reports from 352,359 Hypertension patients)
On Mar, 31, 2015: 14,744 people reported to have side effects when taking Plaquenil. Among them, 492 people (3.34%) have Hypertension.
Time on Plaquenil when people have Hypertension * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Hypertension when taking Plaquenil * :
Age of people who have Hypertension when taking Plaquenil * :
Severity of Hypertension when taking Plaquenil ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Hypertension ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (212 people, 43.09%)
- Osteoporosis (71 people, 14.43%)
- Hypertension (58 people, 11.79%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (57 people, 11.59%)
- Prophylaxis (34 people, 6.91%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone (130 people, 26.42%)
- Methotrexate (124 people, 25.20%)
- Folic acid (121 people, 24.59%)
- Vioxx (93 people, 18.90%)
- Remicade (87 people, 17.68%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of plaquenil and hypertension on
Do you have Hypertension while taking Plaquenil?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Hypertension
- support group for people who take Plaquenil
- support group for people who have Hypertension
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Synthroid, Valium, Tylenol, Dextrose 60%, Cymbalta for a 50-year old woman with Thyroid Hormone Replacement Therapy, Anxiety Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Pain, Fibromyalgia. The patient has Pain, Suicidal Thoughts, Blood Pressure Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Chlorthalidone, Loratadine, Advair Diskus 250/50, Tramadol for a 57-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Hay Fever, Asthma, Arthritis Bacterial. The patient has Multiple Allergies, Sleep Apnea, High Blood Pressure
- A study of drug interactions between Proventil-hfa, Symbicort, Metoprolol Tartrate, Ritalin, Effexor Xr, Mirtazapine, Clonazepam for a 43-year old woman with Acute Upper Airway Obstruction, High Blood Pressure, Attention Deficit Disorder With Hyperactivity, Depression, Restless Leg Syndrome. The patient has High Blood Pressure
- A study of side effects of Hydralazine Hydrochloride for a 52-year old woman with Hypertension. The patient has Hypertension, Bruise
- A study of side effects of Metronidazole for a 71-year old man with Infection. The patient has High Blood Pressure
Recent Plaquenil related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Plaquenil, Lopressor for a 55-year old woman who has Mixed Connective Tissue Disease
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 57-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Celebrex, Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Methotrexate for a 56-year old man who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for a 66-year old woman who has Polymyalgia Rheumatica
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.