Review: could Plaquenil cause Nausea and vomiting?
(By eHealthMe on Feb, 27, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.5/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 14,111 people who take Plaquenil. Among them, 459 have Nausea and vomiting. See who they are, when they have Nausea and vomiting and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Plaquenil (latest outcomes from 15,409 users) has active ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate. It is often used in systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis. Commonly reported side effects of Plaquenil include nausea, nausea aggravated, fatigue, joint pain, pain.
Nausea and vomiting
Nausea and vomiting (latest reports from 1,042,468 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, pain, pain relief by acupuncture, acupuncture and pain, type 2 diabetes.
On Feb, 22, 2014: 14,111 people reported to have side effects when taking Plaquenil. Among them, 459 people (3.25%) have Nausea And Vomiting.
Time on Plaquenil when people have Nausea and vomiting * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Nausea and vomiting||45.00%||15.00%||0.00%||5.00%||25.00%||0.00%||10.00% |
Gender of people who have Nausea and vomiting when taking Plaquenil * :
|Nausea and vomiting||88.41%||11.59% |
Age of people who have Nausea and vomiting when taking Plaquenil * :
|Nausea and vomiting||0.00%||0.00%||1.54%||5.13%||13.08%||24.36%||29.23%||26.67% |
Severity of Nausea and vomiting when taking Plaquenil ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Nausea and vomiting||25.00%||0.00%||75.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Nausea and vomiting ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Nausea and vomiting||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (169 people, 36.82%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (51 people, 11.11%)
- Osteoporosis (39 people, 8.50%)
- Pain (24 people, 5.23%)
- Depression (22 people, 4.79%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Methotrexate (156 people, 33.99%)
- Prednisone (124 people, 27.02%)
- Folic acid (97 people, 21.13%)
- Nexium (73 people, 15.90%)
- Enbrel (70 people, 15.25%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Plaquenil, Nausea and vomiting
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine sulfate) is often used for systemic lupus erythematosus. Find out below the conditions Plaquenil is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Plaquenil used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Plaquenil side effects from A to Z:
Browse Plaquenil drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 weeks ago):
2+ Urine samples with moderate amount of blood(hysterectomy 2 yrs ago) and more than 2 UA's with protein in my urine. Last UA result was 30+ protein in urine. Personal History of kidney stones 10+yrs and Family hX of kidney problemss.
From this study (2 months ago):
Steady decline for four years, but extreme decline over two months leading me in to hospital
From this study (5 years ago):
There are more side effects but I can't think of them all. I wasn't having problems until I started taking methadone, but I still have problems when I don't take it. In general I feel awful all the time now.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Can curcumin c3 complex cause very dry mouth?
I have been takingall the above drugs since being diagnosed with Sarcoidosis in 1998-99. The only variation is prednisone which I take only when I have a flare. Itook my first Curcumin C3 Complex capsule 3 days ago. 500mg. I decided to start with one a day for awhile. After a few hours I had the dry ...
- I have primary hyperparathyroidism with an adenoma and an igm of 16. can you tell me if the study was ever done on this combination.
Was given t-131 at age 16 and have virtually no thyroid gland.
I also have systemic and coronary vasospasms that have caused heart damage, an unspecified autoimmune disease with elevated ANA, osteoporosis, normal calcium levels, parathyroid hormone of 117, an identified adenoma of the parathyroid, ...
- Crestor - trilipix - 5 years on 5mg + 135mg / going cold turkey - weaning?
Almost 60 been on Crestor 5mg twice a week + Trilipix 135mg daily for about 5 years, Cholesterol has been held in good zone, leading normal life. Last two weeks chronic indigestion, upper chest pressure gas, upset stomach, and occasional dizziness. Read up on Symptom's for both Crestor and Trilipix ...
More questions for: Plaquenil, Nausea and vomiting
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Spiriva caused me to swell up like a hippo.
My Doctor prescribed spiriva to help me breathe due to asthma/cold. I never smoked but my parents and friends were heavy smokers. I used the spiriva 3 times. Once a day for 3 days then I started swelling in my ankles and the swelling continued until my face, hands arms... basically I was so swollen ...
- Buspirone and biotin
I took only 1 10,000Mcg biotin capsule and 1 buspirone (sorry to not have dosage) at roughly the sAme time (aprx 2pm).later that night, I felt severe anxiety and a giant ” knot” in my chest causing difficulty breathing. Few hours passed then I began to feel a sharp throbbing pain in left side an ...
- Hypercalcemia during use of fluconizole over 6 months
Post diverticulitis surgery multiple my mother was on multiple antibiotics but the most consistent one was Fluconizole. After release, she was slowly taken off other antibiotics being left on Fluconizole for abscesses that would not go away and eventually needed to be surgically removed. After rep ...
More reviews for: Plaquenil, Nausea and vomiting
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Clonazepam, Plaquenil, Arava, Lithium Carbonate for a patient with Vitamin D Decreased, Anxiety Disorder, Lupus Erythematosus, Lupus, Bipolar Ii Disorder. The patient has Vomiting (Nausea and vomiting), Nausea, Hematuria (Urine - bloody), Abdominal Pain Aggravated, Polyuria (Urination - excessive volume), Protein Albumin Ratio Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Ambien, Plaquenil, Percocet, Phenergan, Testosterone, Synthroid, Fludrocortisone Acetate, Hydrocortisone Acetate, Prozac, Klonopin, Stavzor, Nadolol, Fentanyl-25, Percocet for a patient with Insomnia, Lupus, Severe Pain For Lupus And Ra, Vomiting Projectile, Shots Bi-weekly For Low T, Low Thyroid, Ace Levels, Adrenal Mass, Depression, Restless Leg Syndrome, Migraine, Chronic Pain, Pain. The patient has Lethargy (Fatigue), Muscle Weakness (Weakness), Lack Of Satiety, Salt Craving, Dizzy And Faint, High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia), Ace Levels, Blood Cortisol Abnormal, Blood Pressure (Blood Pressure Management), Weight Loss, Fatigue, Loss Of Libido, Loss Of Appetite (Appetite - decreased), Blood Pressure (Blood Pressure Management), Energy Increased, Nausea And Vomiting
- A study of drug interactions between Proair Hfa, Gabapentin, Sertraline Hydrochloride, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Boniva, Omeprazole, Methadone Hydrochloride, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Levothyroxine Sodium for a patient with Copd, Neuropathy, Depression, Sleeping Difficulty, Osteoporosis, Nausea And Vomiting, Compression Fractures Of The Back, Subcutaneous, Overactive Thyroid. The patient has Nausea And Vomiting, Fatigue, Vision Blurred, Weight Increased, Sleepiness (Drowsiness), Constipation, Pain, Clumsiness (Movement - uncoordinated)
More related studies for: Plaquenil, Nausea and vomiting
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.