Review: could Plaquenil cause Shaking palsy (Parkinson's disease)?
Summary: Shaking palsy is found among people who take Plaquenil, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Prednisone, and have Stress and anxiety.
We study 14,750 people who have side effects while taking Plaquenil from FDA and social media. Among them, 20 have Shaking palsy. Find out below who they are, when they have Shaking palsy and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Shaking palsy >>>
Plaquenil has active ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 15,559 Plaquenil users)
Shaking palsy (disorder of the central nervous system characterized by tremor and impaired muscular coordination) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia. (latest reports from 24,130 Shaking palsy patients)
On Apr, 9, 2015: 14,744 people reported to have side effects when taking Plaquenil. Among them, 19 people (0.13%) have Shaking Palsy.
Time on Plaquenil when people have Shaking palsy * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Shaking palsy||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Shaking palsy when taking Plaquenil * :
|Shaking palsy||95.00%||5.00% |
Age of people who have Shaking palsy when taking Plaquenil * :
|Shaking palsy||0.00%||0.00%||5.56%||0.00%||0.00%||5.56%||5.56%||83.33% |
Severity of Shaking palsy when taking Plaquenil ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Shaking palsy||0.00%||50.00%||0.00%||50.00% |
How people recovered from Shaking palsy ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Shaking palsy||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Anxiety (9 people, 47.37%)
- Gastric disorder (8 people, 42.11%)
- Antidepressant therapy (8 people, 42.11%)
- Sleep disorder (8 people, 42.11%)
- Arthritis (8 people, 42.11%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone (13 people, 68.42%)
- Vicodin (11 people, 57.89%)
- Prevacid (11 people, 57.89%)
- Slow-mag (8 people, 42.11%)
- Mellaril (8 people, 42.11%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Shaking Palsy while taking Plaquenil?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Shaking Palsy
- support group for people who take Plaquenil
- support group for people who have Shaking Palsy
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Hydrochlorothiazide, Atenolol, Flecainide Acetate for a 74-year old man with Atrial Fibrillation, High Blood Pressure, Atrial Fibrillation/flutter. The patient has Parkinsonism, Thinking Slowed, Slow Speech
- A study of drug interactions between Elmiron, Cyproheptadine Hydrochloride, Ibuprofen, Zantac, Omeprazole, Gildess Fe 1/20, Plaquenil, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Prazosin Hydrochloride, Wellbutrin Xl, Celexa, Provigil for a 37-year old woman with Interstitial Cystitis (IC), Hives, Joint Pain, Gerd, Menstruation Irregular, Lupus, Anxiety, Nightmare, Depression. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Elmiron, Cyproheptadine Hydrochloride, Junel Fe 1/20, Zantac, Omeprazole, Ibuprofen, Plaquenil, Prazosin Hydrochloride, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Wellbutrin Xl, Celexa, Modafinil for a 37-year old woman with Interstitial Cystitis (ic), Hives, Menstruation Irregular, Gerd, Joint Pain, Lupus, Nightmare, Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Energy Increased. The patient has Frequent Headaches, Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Gabapentin, Bi-sifrol, Lorazepam, Mirtazapine, Alprazolam for a 59-year old man with Pain, Parkinsonism, Panic Disorder, Depression. The patient has Dopamine Dysregulation Syndrome, Depression, Parkinsonism
- A study of drug interactions between Biotin, Fish Oil, Turmeric, Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Itraconazole, Liothyronine Sodium, Amlodipine for a 75-year old woman with Hair Growth Abnormal, Dry Macular Degeneration, Arthritis - Rheumatoid, Histoplasmosis - Disseminated, Thyroid Disorder, High Blood Pressure.
Recent Plaquenil related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Plaquenil, Lopressor for a 55-year old woman who has Mixed Connective Tissue Disease
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 57-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Celebrex, Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Methotrexate for a 56-year old man who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for a 66-year old woman who has Polymyalgia Rheumatica
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.