Review: could Plaquenil cause Shortness of breath (Breathing difficulty)?
Summary: Shortness of breath is found among people who take Plaquenil, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Methotrexate, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 14,744 people who have side effects while taking Plaquenil from FDA and social media. Among them, 596 have Shortness of breath. Find out below who they are, when they have Shortness of breath and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Shortness of breath >>>
Plaquenil has active ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 15,552 Plaquenil users)
Shortness of breath
Shortness of breath has been reported by people with high blood pressure, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. (latest reports from 165,466 Shortness of breath patients)
On Mar, 1, 2015: 14,739 people reported to have side effects when taking Plaquenil. Among them, 596 people (4.04%) have Shortness Of Breath.
Time on Plaquenil when people have Shortness of breath * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Shortness of breath||12.28%||15.79%||10.53%||31.58%||8.77%||14.04%||7.02% |
Gender of people who have Shortness of breath when taking Plaquenil * :
|Shortness of breath||83.75%||16.25% |
Age of people who have Shortness of breath when taking Plaquenil * :
|Shortness of breath||0.00%||0.38%||0.38%||6.26%||6.64%||17.46%||27.70%||41.18% |
Severity of Shortness of breath when taking Plaquenil ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Shortness of breath||15.38%||69.23%||15.38%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Shortness of breath ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Shortness of breath||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (252 people, 42.28%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (74 people, 12.42%)
- Osteoporosis (49 people, 8.22%)
- Hypertension (47 people, 7.89%)
- Pain (27 people, 4.53%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Methotrexate (157 people, 26.34%)
- Prednisone (152 people, 25.50%)
- Folic acid (115 people, 19.30%)
- Humira (89 people, 14.93%)
- Enbrel (89 people, 14.93%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of plaquenil and shortness of breath on
Do you have Shortness Of Breath while taking Plaquenil?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Shortness Of Breath
- support group for people who take Plaquenil
- support group for people who have Shortness Of Breath
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acid for a 26-year old woman with Ome. The patient has Shortness Of Breath
- A study of drug interactions between Tamiflu, Albuterol Sulfate And Ipratropium Bromide, Nitrostat, Ondansetron, Oxycodone, Actemra, Nasonex, Spiriva, Victoza, Arava, Diovan Hct, Lipitor, Ranexa, Lantus Solostar, Wellbutrin Xl, Tricor, Carvedilol, Plavix, Xarelto for a 71-year old woman with Influenza B, Copd, Angina, Nausea And Vomiting, Pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Rhinitis, Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control, Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia, Diabetes Mellitus, Stop Smoking, Blood Clots. The patient has Shortness Of Breath, Neuropathy, Tinnitus, Loss Of Coordination, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weight Loss, Appetite - Decreased, Diarrhea, Nausea And Vomiting
- A study of drug interactions between Metoprolol Succinate, Methotrexate Sodium Preservative Free, Plavix, Plaquenil, Humira, Folic Acid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 59-year old woman with Coronary Artery Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Brilinta for a 74-year old man with Heart Attack. The patient has Shortness Of Breath
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisolone, Plaquenil, Leflunomide, Methotrexate for a 63-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Folliculitis
Recent Plaquenil related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 57-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Celebrex, Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Methotrexate for a 56-year old man who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for a 66-year old woman who has Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Comparions of Plaquenil, Enbrel for a 60-year old woman who has Psoriatic Arthritis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.