Review: could Plaquenil cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Plaquenil, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Folic acid, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 14,750 people who have side effects while taking Plaquenil from FDA and social media. Among them, 282 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Weight gain >>>
Plaquenil has active ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 15,559 Plaquenil users)
Weight Gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 76,706 Weight Gain patients)
On Apr, 12, 2015: 14,744 people reported to have side effects when taking Plaquenil. Among them, 282 people (1.91%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Plaquenil when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||0.00%||25.00%||18.75%||25.00%||6.25%||12.50%||12.50% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Plaquenil * :
|Weight gain||88.97%||11.03% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Plaquenil * :
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.45%||0.90%||3.15%||8.11%||25.68%||39.64%||22.07% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Plaquenil ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||0.00%||47.06%||35.29%||17.65% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (76 people, 26.95%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (31 people, 10.99%)
- Depression (29 people, 10.28%)
- Osteoporosis (29 people, 10.28%)
- Fibromyalgia (28 people, 9.93%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Folic acid (79 people, 28.01%)
- Prednisone (71 people, 25.18%)
- Methotrexate (61 people, 21.63%)
- Celebrex (48 people, 17.02%)
- Vitamin d (39 people, 13.83%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of plaquenil and weight gain on
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Plaquenil?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Plaquenil
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Multivitamin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Losartan, Metoprolol Succinate, Synthroid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 72-year old woman with Supplement, Sjogren's Syndrome, Hypertension, Cardiac Flutter, Hypothyroidism, Ldl/hdl Ratio Increased. The patient has Laboratory Test Abnormal
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Simvastatin, Hydroxyzine, Effexor Xr for a 36-year old woman with Hypertension, High Blood Cholesterol, Insomnia, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Effexor for a 45-year old woman with Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Seroquel for a 40-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Vesicare for a 36-year old woman with Overactive Bladder. The patient has Weight Gain
Recent Plaquenil related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Plaquenil, Lopressor for a 55-year old woman who has Mixed Connective Tissue Disease
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 57-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Celebrex, Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Methotrexate for a 56-year old man who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for a 66-year old woman who has Polymyalgia Rheumatica
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.