Review: could Plavix cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Plavix, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure.
We study 67,533 people who have side effects while taking Plavix from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,021 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Plavix and have Weight gain >>>
Plavix has active ingredients of clopidogrel bisulfate. It is often used in blood clots. (latest outcomes from 69,466 Plavix users)
Weight Gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 76,706 Weight Gain patients)
On Apr, 13, 2015: 67,533 people reported to have side effects when taking Plavix. Among them, 1,021 people (1.51%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Plavix when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||13.04%||13.04%||10.87%||13.04%||30.43%||17.39%||2.17% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Plavix * :
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.76%||8.05%||28.22%||61.96% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Plavix ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||10.53%||36.84%||47.37%||5.26% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||0.00%||16.67%||83.33% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (84 people, 8.23%)
- Diabetes mellitus (69 people, 6.76%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (66 people, 6.46%)
- Depression (65 people, 6.37%)
- Pain (56 people, 5.48%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (403 people, 39.47%)
- Lipitor (269 people, 26.35%)
- Lasix (225 people, 22.04%)
- Lisinopril (150 people, 14.69%)
- Norvasc (132 people, 12.93%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
jrcoleman51 (1 year ago):
i gained 20 ilbs after working hard to loose 85 lbs because of backmproblems now i went off it and still can not drop it
Reply the comment
Sarah (4 years ago):
I have been on Plavix since March 2011. I was put on Plavix before my operation for a cerebral aneurysm stint. I had to take Plavix for approximately 10 days prior to surgery and take it for 90 days following surgery. I immediately gained 5-10 lbs just before surgery and gained a total of 23lbs just after surgery. I proceeded to lose a few pounds since but have only lost 9 lobs of the 23 I gained. I work out daily clocking 5-10 kms on the treadmill as well as weight training with low weights, high reps. I also play Ice Hockey and Ball Hockey. I have stayed the same and cannot lose while on Plavix. I'm on no other medications other than Plavix so I know that my weight gain can be attributed to this. I also use keytosis strips to measure whether or not I'm burning calories every morning and every night...I'm not. I will be finished my Plavix in two weeks and will report back to this forum if the weight starts to come off.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of plavix and weight gain on
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Plavix?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Plavix and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Plavix
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Simvastatin, Hydroxyzine, Effexor Xr for a 36-year old woman with Hypertension, High Blood Cholesterol, Insomnia, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Effexor for a 45-year old woman with Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Seroquel for a 40-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Vesicare for a 36-year old woman with Overactive Bladder. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Losartan Potassium And Hydrochlorothiazide, Amlodipine Besylate for a 51-year old woman with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Loss Of Libido, Weight Gain, Supraventricular Tachycardia, Tired Eyes, Red Eyes, Dry Eyes, Glaucoma, Blurred Vision, Watery Eyes
Recent Plavix related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.