Review: could Prednisone cause Acute psychosis?
Summary: Acute psychosis is found among people who take Prednisone, especially for people who are female, 20-29 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Cephalexin, and have Preventive health care.
We study 146,809 people who have side effects while taking Prednisone from FDA and social media. Among them, 31 have Acute psychosis. Find out below who they are, when they have Acute psychosis and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Prednisone and have Acute psychosis >>>
Prednisone has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 150,135 Prednisone users)
Acute psychosis (period of mentally unstable behaviour) has been reported by people with depression, schizophrenia, pain, psychotic disorder, hiv infection. (latest reports from 1,316 Acute psychosis patients)
On Mar, 30, 2015: 146,809 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 31 people (0.02%) have Acute Psychosis.
Time on Prednisone when people have Acute psychosis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Acute psychosis||60.00%||0.00%||40.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Acute psychosis when taking Prednisone * :
|Acute psychosis||77.14%||22.86% |
Age of people who have Acute psychosis when taking Prednisone * :
|Acute psychosis||0.00%||2.86%||14.29%||28.57%||5.71%||14.29%||11.43%||22.86% |
Severity of Acute psychosis when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Acute psychosis||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Acute psychosis ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Acute psychosis||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Prophylaxis (8 people, 25.81%)
- Psychotic disorder (7 people, 22.58%)
- Hypoxia (7 people, 22.58%)
- Renal cell carcinoma (7 people, 22.58%)
- Deep vein thrombosis (7 people, 22.58%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Cephalexin (11 people, 35.48%)
- Biaxin (10 people, 32.26%)
- Ciprofloxacin (9 people, 29.03%)
- Neurontin (8 people, 25.81%)
- Coumadin (8 people, 25.81%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of Prednisone and acute psychosis on
Do you have Acute Psychosis while taking Prednisone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Prednisone and have Acute Psychosis
- support group for people who take Prednisone
- support group for people who have Acute Psychosis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisone, Lisinopril, Prednisone, Myfortic, Prograf for a 59-year old woman with Transplant - Kidney, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Weight Gain, Blood Creatinine Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisone, Nicorette, Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide, Adderall 10, Adderall Xr 25, Crestor, Pristiq for a 59-year old woman with Upper Respiratory Tract Infection, Stop Smoking, Blood Pressure Inadequately Controlled, Attention Deficit Disorder With Hyperactivity, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Depression. The patient has Pain - Tooth Or Teeth
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a 40-year old woman with Tinnitus. The patient has Lightheadedness (a common and often unpleasant sensation of dizziness and/or feeling that one may be about to faint)
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a 18-year old girl with Ulcerative Colitis. The patient has Dizzy, Fast Heart Beat, Fast Heart Rate, Confused, Tired, Disoreinted,just Sick All Over.
- A study of side effects of Prednisone Intensol for a 47-year old woman with Cushing's Syndrome. The patient has Cushing's Syndrome (obesity, a rounded face, increased fat)
Recent Prednisone related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.