Review: could Prednisone cause Benign prostatic hyperplasia (Enlarged Prostate)?
Summary: Benign prostatic hyperplasia is found among people who take Prednisone, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Zometa, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 146,686 people who have side effects while taking Prednisone from FDA and social media. Among them, 265 have Benign prostatic hyperplasia. Find out below who they are, when they have Benign prostatic hyperplasia and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Prednisone and have Benign prostatic hyperplasia >>>
Prednisone has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from Prednisone 150,015 users)
Benign prostatic hyperplasia
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (benign enlargement of the prostate) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, enlarged prostate, osteoporosis, arthritis, pain.(latest reports from Benign prostatic hyperplasia 15,844 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 146,686 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 265 people (0.18%) have Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.
Time on Prednisone when people have Benign prostatic hyperplasia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Benign prostatic hyperplasia||44.44%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||44.44%||11.11%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Benign prostatic hyperplasia when taking Prednisone * :
|Benign prostatic hyperplasia||0.34%||99.66% |
Age of people who have Benign prostatic hyperplasia when taking Prednisone * :
|Benign prostatic hyperplasia||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||3.03%||26.84%||70.13% |
Severity of Benign prostatic hyperplasia when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Benign prostatic hyperplasia||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Benign prostatic hyperplasia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Benign prostatic hyperplasia||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (50 people, 18.87%)
- Multiple myeloma (36 people, 13.58%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (28 people, 10.57%)
- Bone loss (26 people, 9.81%)
- Nausea (16 people, 6.04%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (130 people, 49.06%)
- Aspirin (117 people, 44.15%)
- Coumadin (83 people, 31.32%)
- Aredia (76 people, 28.68%)
- Prednisone tab (68 people, 25.66%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia while taking Prednisone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Prednisone and have Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- support group for people who take Prednisone
- support group for people who have Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Prednisone, Benign prostatic hyperplasia
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Amlo dipine and terazosin
I have taken combination since 04/13 I have experienced ED lower testosterone and elevated PSA. Prior to that I was taking terazosin and hydrochorizide without any side effects. I stop taking the amlodipine during a juice fast and my PSA levels decreased when I stopped fasting and returned to taking the amlodipine my PSA levels rose.
- Prednisone rx 3,3,2,2,1,1 plan suicidal haunts all day
I came home from the Hospitol with a 3,3,2,2,1,1 Rx.
I took (3) and spent the rest of the day contenplating Suicide.
The rest of the Rx went in the Toilet by 7:pm.
I wonder how many this Killed.
- Prednisone induced cushing's syndrome
Prescribed Prednisone 20mg twice daily. Took for six weeks and developed weaken muscles and swollen face. Was hospitalized and informed I had severe Cushing's Syndrome. Host of problems included glucose over 400, inflammed pancreas, triglycerides over 4,000 and vision problems. Muscles were wasted and weak so fell several times. Had to regain strength and learn to walk again with physical therapy. Left with foggy thinking, fatigue, muscle myopathy and peripheral neuropathy. Also developed osteopenia. Afterwards was placed on hydrocortisone and Lyrica for pain. Later found liver damage.
- Singulair to the rescue
Antihistamines , even in small amounts, cause my prostate to swell immensely. Several months ago my allergies reached the point I had to take something. I had a physician's sample of 10 mg Singulair, so I took one. To my amazement, I got quick relief from extreme allergies, but my prostate SHRUNK as much as it did on finesteride. Since then I take my usual 2 mg hytrin each morning and my 10 mg Singulair at night and the combo has all but done away with my prostatic hyperplasia. NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE, SO I THOUGHT I WOULD PASS MIT ON.
- Prednisone side effect: hiccups
I am taking prednisone for an allergic reaction to a bee sting. 20mg for 5 days, then 10mg for 5 days. Starting the second day, I have fairly consistent hiccups, which become more severe at night. I have also previously taken prednisone to tame a severe poison ivy rash and have had the same reaction.
Any remedies? All I found, that works sometimes, is a scoop of peanut butter, didn't work last night though...
More reviews for: Prednisone, Benign prostatic hyperplasia
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I had a flu-like bout of unwellness approx 2 weeks before being diagnosed with Polymyalgia rheumatica. The onset was very sudden - went from being fully mobile, to developing neck/shoulder stiffness and then being fully immobile within 36 hours. Following two days of steroids, I felt much better but ...
- After a few weeks at 30mg/day of Prednisone I started to experience experience muscle fatigue and ache after only a short amount of walking. After a month later on 10mg of Prednisone I started to notice minor tingling and numbness in my feet, then ankles, and now further up my leg after about two we ...
- The nausea is persistent and debilitating as is the fatigue. Nothing relieves the nausea. I was transplanted for esld Chronic Hep B but developed de novo autoimmune hepatitis with a touch of graft v. host disease.
The emotional troubles became extremely exacerbated post-transplant.
3 yrs pos ...
- he was fine till he took prednizone 10 days died the next blood labs good before after sca ,v fib then vitals normal. angioplasty, good blood flow.pacemaker installed matched up then sca died 49 yrs old
- hx multiple myeloma x 3 years. Developed elevated AST/ALT liver enxymes due to chemo a year ago.
Have been treated with prednisone/dexamethasone for year. Recently put on imuran with positive results.
No chemo in the past year.
Right elbow painful and significant swelling off and on x 2 months.
More related studies for: Prednisone, Benign prostatic hyperplasia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.