Could Prednisone cause Dementia - from FDA reports
Dementia is found among people who take Prednisone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aredia, and have Multiple myeloma . We study 139,362 people who have side effects while taking Prednisone from FDA. Among them, 197 have Dementia. Find out below who they are, when they have Dementia and more.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
Prednisone has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from Prednisone 231,601 users)
Dementia (madness) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, depression, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 18,305 Dementia patients).
On Nov, 21, 2016
139,362 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone.
Among them, 197 people (0.14%) have Dementia
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Prednisone when people have Dementia *:
- < 1 month: 25.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 33.33 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 8.33 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 8.33 %
- 10+ years: 25.0 %
Gender of people who have Dementia when taking Prednisone *:
- female: 54.17 %
- male: 45.83 %
Age of people who have Dementia when taking Prednisone *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 2.98 %
- 20-29: 0.6 %
- 30-39: 1.19 %
- 40-49: 6.55 %
- 50-59: 7.74 %
- 60+: 80.95 %
Severity of Dementia **:
- least: 0.0 %
- moderate: 80 %
- severe: 20 %
- most severe: 0.0 %
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Aredia (62 people, 31.47%)
- Zometa (53 people, 26.90%)
- Levaquin (51 people, 25.89%)
- Aspirin (48 people, 24.37%)
- Dexamethasone (45 people, 22.84%)
Forecasts by ePatient.care (We will alert you to new symptoms or undetected conditions when you take Prednisone, learn more )
Potential co-existing conditions
- Multiple Myeloma (28 people, 14.21%)
- Metastases To Bone (18 people, 9.14%)
- Hypercalcaemia Of Malignancy (12 people, 6.09%)
- Osteoporosis (10 people, 5.08%)
- Breast Cancer (10 people, 5.08%)
Potential co-existing symptoms
- Stress And Anxiety (82 people, 41.62%)
- Pain (81 people, 41.12%)
- Osteonecrosis Of Jaw (71 people, 36.04%)
- Depression (68 people, 34.52%)
- Fatigue (66 people, 33.50%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Dementia when taking Prednisone?
- Check symptoms - is dementia caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- More tools...
Browse all side effects of Prednisonea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with DementiaDementia
Could your condition cause DementiaDementia
Can you answer these questions?
I am experiencing fatigue, muscle cramps, and muscle and joint pain. I have read that others have experienced the same as a result of taking these medications together. Anybody else have a similar experience?
You may be interested in these reviews
Mental illness Severe mental illness in the United States affects more than 25% of the population, or approximately 81 million people. Mental illness often goes unrecognized, until the symptoms are so severe that the person becomes dysfunctional. One of the most common symptoms of mental ...
I have chronic gout for last five years. Tried everything nothing worked to help me with pain, but prednisone. I have it at 5mg a day and no side effects. I just started taking astragalus as well ,I understand that it will mitigate the immune suppressant quality of the prednisone but will it ...