Review: could Prednisone cause Fibromyalgia?
Summary: Fibromyalgia is found among people who take Prednisone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Prednisone tab, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 146,686 people who have side effects while taking Prednisone from FDA and social media. Among them, 504 have Fibromyalgia. Find out below who they are, when they have Fibromyalgia and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Prednisone and have Fibromyalgia >>>
Prednisone has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (view latest outcomes from 150,015 users)
Fibromyalgia (a long-term condition which causes pain all over the body) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, pain, depression, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure.(view latest reports from 24,072 patients)
On Nov, 28, 2014: 146,686 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 504 people (0.34%) have Fibromyalgia.
Time on Prednisone when people have Fibromyalgia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Fibromyalgia when taking Prednisone * :
Age of people who have Fibromyalgia when taking Prednisone * :
Severity of Fibromyalgia when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Fibromyalgia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (130 people, 25.79%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (120 people, 23.81%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (54 people, 10.71%)
- Breast cancer (47 people, 9.33%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (46 people, 9.13%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone tab (165 people, 32.74%)
- Fosamax (139 people, 27.58%)
- Methotrexate (129 people, 25.60%)
- Celebrex (128 people, 25.40%)
- Zometa (121 people, 24.01%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Fibromyalgia while taking Prednisone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Prednisone and have Fibromyalgia
- support group for people who take Prednisone
- support group for people who have Fibromyalgia
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Does anyone experience heart palpitations causedby their acid reflux ?
I have had acid reflux/Gerd for 4 years + Was not believed that symptoms were real for a while as had no heartburn and a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia which even now some medics think is imaginary...it's NOT!!! Following a demeester score of 45 ( very high confirmation of acid reflux) and discovery of a large hiatal hernia, ( a classic physical cause of acid reflux) I had hernia repair operation and LINX anti reflux surgery. Throughout the four years a major symptom of my acid reflux were heart palpatations. They started at the same time I started with reflux and cleared up after the surgery. I have been reflux free palpitation free and antacid free for four months. then I was put on Gabapentin for back spasm and the reflux returned along with the palpitations. Medics keep insisting this is just anxiety yet eat a food that gives me reflux also starts the palps which is the indicator of the reflux as I do not have heartburn. Comes on when relaxing and eating watching tv ( no anxiety present) and when I am sleeping peacefully ( no anxiety present) my heart wakes me up and fires off into tachycardia. Recently a doctor has said it is now known that acid reflux irritates the nerves in the solar plexus area and that triggers the palps. Anyone else experienced this? Are there any studies on it at all? Thanks all.
- Can i continue taking lysine while taking prednisone? (5 day prescription)
I am on a 5 day prescription of prednisone for my allergies/ear blockage. Is it safe for me during this time to continue taking my Lysine supplement?
- Does zoloft cause ringing in the ears, like tinnitus? i've been on it for a month and noticed the ringing in the ears about a week ago, and it's just constant ringing and it's driving me insane. (1 answer)
I've been on most of the medications for more than a year and it hasn't been that bad getting used to them. But I've been on Zoloft and ambien for about a month now, and I've been noticing a lot of side effects. The one I just recently noticed and that has been driving me completely insane, is the ringing in the ears. It's been about a week now and I just don't know what to do anymore. If it is the Zoloft then I can finally just stop taking it and make this stop. If anyone has an answer or knows what to do, PLEASE help. I'm at my wits end.
- Has abilify affected your ability to make good decisions?
My husband and I are 73. We had a paid off home and money in the bank until the past 3 years. We have made some terrible decisions and now we are practically penniless. We couldn't understand why we had made such bad decisions and let someone talk us into losing our money. We have also been on Abilify about the same amoount of time and I noticed that the commercials say a side affect can be lack of judgement or something to that effect. Has anyone else had this happen?
- Does mucinex guaifenesin help treat fibromyalgia? (3 answers)
I have tried so many treatments for fibromyalgia. I am going to try guaifenesin next . Any advice would be appreciated.
More questions for: Prednisone, Fibromyalgia
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Prednisone rx 3,3,2,2,1,1 plan suicidal haunts all day
I came home from the Hospitol with a 3,3,2,2,1,1 Rx.
I took (3) and spent the rest of the day contenplating Suicide.
The rest of the Rx went in the Toilet by 7:pm.
I wonder how many this Killed.
- Prednisone induced cushing's syndrome
Prescribed Prednisone 20mg twice daily. Took for six weeks and developed weaken muscles and swollen face. Was hospitalized and informed I had severe Cushing's Syndrome. Host of problems included glucose over 400, inflammed pancreas, triglycerides over 4,000 and vision problems. Muscles were wasted and weak so fell several times. Had to regain strength and learn to walk again with physical therapy. Left with foggy thinking, fatigue, muscle myopathy and peripheral neuropathy. Also developed osteopenia. Afterwards was placed on hydrocortisone and Lyrica for pain. Later found liver damage.
- Had nms in 2005, will trileptal increase chance of recurrence?
In 2005 I had NMS, which was not detected by my drs for 4 months. I'd been on Lexapro & Seroquel for 2 yrs, but was weaned from Lexapro & placed on Lamictal 3/05. Began getting low-grade fevers, which I was told were not caused by the Lamictal. I quit taking it anyway, fevers (along with uncontrollable shivering) continued & got higher. By 5/05 my temps were reaching 105 deg F. Husband said I became combative, refused to go to hospital. Early June/05 he came home to find me wrapped in blankets, with a temp over 105 F. He tried to place me in a tub of cold water, said I was rigid & screamed when he tried to move me. I was in the tub, speaking "in tongues" (his description, I have no memory of this). He called 911, took me to hospital. I woke, no idea where I was or why. After a lumbar puncture & 2 days in ICU I went home. The fevers continued...2 weeks later he came home to find me wrapped in sheets, towels, blankets, with the heat on full (it was in the 90's outside) he called ambulance again. I awoke to find myself under an ice blanket with nurses pushing large vials of dantrolene into both arms, several liters. Another LP, a stint in ICU...this time they told me it was NMS. The dr who dxd me said he was surprised I was alive, & not a vegetable, as my temp had peaked at 109 deg F. I suffered brain damage; short-term memory loss, brain can't control my body temp, my blood pressure went up. An arteriogram showed completely healthy heart & arteries, no plaque at all. I lost all body fat as well as some muscle mass. The fevers continued even after stopping the Seroquel. I visited my PCP for a checkup in 9/05, temp was normal. I started shuddering, my temp went up a full degree every 5 minutes. PCP admitted me to ER, my heart rate was over 272 B/M; they stopped my heart 3 times to "reset" it, which didn't work. I spent 3 days in hospital. Several months later my P doc tried me on Lamictal alone; I got Stevens-Johnson syndrome. I stopped the drug as soon as the signs appeared. I've been untreated, except for Neurontin & Primidone, until my manic episodes became unlivable. 3 weeks ago I went 8 days with no sleep, became psychotic. My P doc gave me Trileptal, which has evened my moods, but I've been getting low-grade fevers (highest was 103.6). Would having had NMS in the past make me more prone to falling to it again with the Trileptal? It's the only new med I've taken in over a year.
- Not a great experience
I was on norvasc for two months and had to go off because of severe swelling of feet and legs. Also rapid heart beat and very profuse sweating. it was horrible. It also raised my blood pressure. after going off BP dropped by @least 10 points both diastolic and systolic.
- So sleepy with savella
I am just finishing the starter pack of Savella and I am so sleepy I can't hold my head up. My pain and other Fibromyalgia symptoms are tremendously better but I am sleeping like crazy. Hopefully I can have both doses at night and this will help. I am so glad to not be in pain but I need to be awake also. I am going to talk to my doctor about perhaps another medication to help curb the sleepiness. I can't use caffeine or stimulants due to anxiety but need something to take this sleepiness away.
More reviews for: Prednisone, Fibromyalgia
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I had a flu-like bout of unwellness approx 2 weeks before being diagnosed with Polymyalgia rheumatica. The onset was very sudden - went from being fully mobile, to developing neck/shoulder stiffness and then being fully immobile within 36 hours. Following two days of steroids, I felt much better but ...
- After a few weeks at 30mg/day of Prednisone I started to experience experience muscle fatigue and ache after only a short amount of walking. After a month later on 10mg of Prednisone I started to notice minor tingling and numbness in my feet, then ankles, and now further up my leg after about two we ...
- Severe skin pain where even a small breeze made from an envelope caused intense pain. Also have extreme burning sensations and short stabbing bains. My skin on my back feels very tight like it was very sunburned and it's so painful to even wear a bra. I was initially put on this medication when I ...
- The nausea is persistent and debilitating as is the fatigue. Nothing relieves the nausea. I was transplanted for esld Chronic Hep B but developed de novo autoimmune hepatitis with a touch of graft v. host disease.
The emotional troubles became extremely exacerbated post-transplant.
3 yrs pos ...
- he was fine till he took prednizone 10 days died the next blood labs good before after sca ,v fib then vitals normal. angioplasty, good blood flow.pacemaker installed matched up then sca died 49 yrs old
More related studies for: Prednisone, Fibromyalgia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.