Review: could Prednisone cause Heart pounding (Heart palpitations)?
Summary: Heart pounding is found among people who take Prednisone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prednisone tab, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 146,686 people who have side effects while taking Prednisone from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,367 have Heart pounding. Find out below who they are, when they have Heart pounding and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Prednisone and have Heart pounding >>>
Prednisone has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from Prednisone 150,015 users)
Heart pounding (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, pain.(latest reports from Heart pounding 51,983 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 146,686 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 1,367 people (0.93%) have Heart Pounding.
Time on Prednisone when people have Heart pounding * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Heart pounding||63.41%||10.98%||6.10%||4.88%||4.88%||8.54%||1.22% |
Gender of people who have Heart pounding when taking Prednisone * :
|Heart pounding||75.87%||24.13% |
Age of people who have Heart pounding when taking Prednisone * :
|Heart pounding||0.00%||0.16%||1.44%||6.74%||14.04%||14.61%||19.82%||43.18% |
Severity of Heart pounding when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Heart pounding||18.18%||59.09%||18.18%||4.55% |
How people recovered from Heart pounding ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Heart pounding||0.00%||80.00%||20.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (133 people, 9.73%)
- Osteoporosis (112 people, 8.19%)
- Pain (72 people, 5.27%)
- Asthma (62 people, 4.54%)
- Crohn's disease (46 people, 3.37%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone tab (349 people, 25.53%)
- Aspirin (186 people, 13.61%)
- Lipitor (169 people, 12.36%)
- Folic acid (167 people, 12.22%)
- Albuterol (161 people, 11.78%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Heart Pounding while taking Prednisone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Prednisone and have Heart Pounding
- support group for people who take Prednisone
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Biotin and heart races? connection?
About 2 weeks ago I started on 3mg of Biotin a day. After about 4 days my heart started racing for period. It was uncomfortable and distracting. It's been nearly 2 weeks now and it's settled some but in the evening it comes back. Occassionaly during the day. Maybe at night I just notice it more but I don't think I notice it during the day, possible a little but at night it escalates. Is it possible that Biotin can cause damage. Why hasn't it gone away after near 2 weeks? I had no racing before starting Biotin. I've had a regularly scheduled checked about 4 days after stopping taking the Biotin. I didn't mention anything to the doc but he noticed nothing about my heartbeat or deep breathing. It's distracts and I wish it would subside! Any clues here? Thanks, jack
- Can biotin cause prolonged heart racing?
I started taking 3mg of biotin a day for about 3 or 4 days. I noticed my heart racing which was unusual for me. None before starting biotin. I've stopped over a week ago, going on 2 weeks and my heart still races. More at night or maybe I notice it more at night. No, I would notice it during the day. But when I sit down to relax at night it begins to flip and flop. Why is this persisting after near 2 weeks of stopping. By the way, I had a regular checkup about 4 or 5 days after stopping and the physician didn't say anything about what he heard in my heart and deep breathing. I have no pain but the palpitations are distracting and somewhat worrisome. Is there any cases of biotin doing damage to the heart?
- Can i continue taking lysine while taking prednisone? (5 day prescription)
I am on a 5 day prescription of prednisone for my allergies/ear blockage. Is it safe for me during this time to continue taking my Lysine supplement?
- Does zoloft cause ringing in the ears, like tinnitus? i've been on it for a month and noticed the ringing in the ears about a week ago, and it's just constant ringing and it's driving me insane. (1 answer)
I've been on most of the medications for more than a year and it hasn't been that bad getting used to them. But I've been on Zoloft and ambien for about a month now, and I've been noticing a lot of side effects. The one I just recently noticed and that has been driving me completely insane, is the ringing in the ears. It's been about a week now and I just don't know what to do anymore. If it is the Zoloft then I can finally just stop taking it and make this stop. If anyone has an answer or knows what to do, PLEASE help. I'm at my wits end.
- Does it produce vitamin k
he had stroke 5 years ago, he is taking sintrom, irregular heart beat
More questions for: Prednisone, Heart pounding
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Irregular heatbeat and prilosec
I am 65 M and a long history of Moderate hypertension. I am overweight, out of shape. 15-20 years ago when I didn't take BP medicine I had occasional PVCs, heart skips a beat.
Since I have been on Metoprolol (beta blocker) and Cozaar my BP is normal and heartbeat normal.
I have been on that regimen 15-20 years.
Now or in the last weeks or 2 I notice skipped beats and irregular, fast to slow and back on occasion
Recently It was suggested I may have sleep apnea and was definitely diagnosed with bad acid reflux by an Ear nose and throat specialist.
I was told to go on 2 OTC Prevacid/day for 3 months. I instead, since I had them, went on Prilosec-- slightly different.
I have been on Prilosec 2 or so weeks maybe 3.
It clicked in my mind today that maybe there is a connection.
I have a pretty expensive pulse oximeter (electronic finger thingy) and I can actually see flat lines and skipped beats and strength of pulse. Oxygen is 90 to 94. Also I started taking aspirin out of fear
- Prednisone rx 3,3,2,2,1,1 plan suicidal haunts all day
I came home from the Hospitol with a 3,3,2,2,1,1 Rx.
I took (3) and spent the rest of the day contenplating Suicide.
The rest of the Rx went in the Toilet by 7:pm.
I wonder how many this Killed.
- Prednisone induced cushing's syndrome
Prescribed Prednisone 20mg twice daily. Took for six weeks and developed weaken muscles and swollen face. Was hospitalized and informed I had severe Cushing's Syndrome. Host of problems included glucose over 400, inflammed pancreas, triglycerides over 4,000 and vision problems. Muscles were wasted and weak so fell several times. Had to regain strength and learn to walk again with physical therapy. Left with foggy thinking, fatigue, muscle myopathy and peripheral neuropathy. Also developed osteopenia. Afterwards was placed on hydrocortisone and Lyrica for pain. Later found liver damage.
- Palpitations when eating raw garlic
After symptoms of a cold, I've been drinking the famous "garlic honey lemon" mixture to try to get rid of the cold and it actually worked pretty well.
The first morning it didn't feel very nice to drink but I was ok.
From day 2, I started to feel heartburn and heart palpitations, with a sort of headache as soon as I drank the mixture. Symptoms then disappear within a couple of minutes and I was fine for the rest of the day.
This has been getting worse every morning, until this morning (day 5) where I had to kneel down and focus on breathing.
I can't drink it anymore, my chest hurts and it gets quite scary.
I usually don't eat a lot of garlic anyway, I don't really like it. I'm assuming it's the garlic creating the reaction, as lemon and honey are part of my daily diet.
- Prednisone side effect: hiccups
I am taking prednisone for an allergic reaction to a bee sting. 20mg for 5 days, then 10mg for 5 days. Starting the second day, I have fairly consistent hiccups, which become more severe at night. I have also previously taken prednisone to tame a severe poison ivy rash and have had the same reaction.
Any remedies? All I found, that works sometimes, is a scoop of peanut butter, didn't work last night though...
More reviews for: Prednisone, Heart pounding
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have been having these palpitations for this phase since August 2014 although I have had them before, whilst on Ramipril. Had an ECG and other than I have been diagnosed with ectopic heartbeats the heart looks healthy enough, yet I am getting severe palpitations daily, to the point they do put me ...
- Only happens occasionally. More when I am active. But sometimes just sitting. All the time when using computer or watching television. There are just days where I cannot even look at a computer screen for even 1 minute. Very frustrating. Palpitations are annoying and inconvenient.
- I had a flu-like bout of unwellness approx 2 weeks before being diagnosed with Polymyalgia rheumatica. The onset was very sudden - went from being fully mobile, to developing neck/shoulder stiffness and then being fully immobile within 36 hours. Following two days of steroids, I felt much better but ...
- After a few weeks at 30mg/day of Prednisone I started to experience experience muscle fatigue and ache after only a short amount of walking. After a month later on 10mg of Prednisone I started to notice minor tingling and numbness in my feet, then ankles, and now further up my leg after about two we ...
- The nausea is persistent and debilitating as is the fatigue. Nothing relieves the nausea. I was transplanted for esld Chronic Hep B but developed de novo autoimmune hepatitis with a touch of graft v. host disease.
The emotional troubles became extremely exacerbated post-transplant.
3 yrs pos ...
More related studies for: Prednisone, Heart pounding
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.