Review: could Prednisone cause Hypothyroidism?
Summary: Hypothyroidism is found among people who take Prednisone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Synthroid, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 146,792 people who have side effects while taking Prednisone from FDA and social media. Among them, 571 have Hypothyroidism. Find out below who they are, when they have Hypothyroidism and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Prednisone and have Hypothyroidism >>>
Prednisone has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 150,120 Prednisone users)
Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, osteopenia, depression, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 49,613 Hypothyroidism patients)
On Feb, 8, 2015: 146,763 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 571 people (0.39%) have Hypothyroidism.
Time on Prednisone when people have Hypothyroidism * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Hypothyroidism when taking Prednisone * :
Age of people who have Hypothyroidism when taking Prednisone * :
Severity of Hypothyroidism when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Hypothyroidism ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (126 people, 22.07%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (67 people, 11.73%)
- Osteopenia (47 people, 8.23%)
- Pain (40 people, 7.01%)
- Arthritis (31 people, 5.43%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Synthroid (174 people, 30.47%)
- Prednisone tab (153 people, 26.80%)
- Zometa (134 people, 23.47%)
- Fosamax (132 people, 23.12%)
- Aspirin (128 people, 22.42%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of prednisone and hypothyroidism on
Do you have Hypothyroidism while taking Prednisone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Prednisone and have Hypothyroidism
- support group for people who take Prednisone
- support group for people who have Hypothyroidism
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a 40-year old woman with Tinnitus. The patient has Lightheadedness (a common and often unpleasant sensation of dizziness and/or feeling that one may be about to faint)
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a 18-year old girl with Ulcerative Colitis. The patient has Dizzy, Fast Heart Beat, Fast Heart Rate, Confused, Tired, Disoreinted,just Sick All Over.
- A study of side effects of NyQuil for a 46-year old woman with Sleep - Natural Short Sleeper. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development)
- A study of side effects of Prednisone Intensol for a 47-year old woman with Cushing's Syndrome. The patient has Cushing's Syndrome (obesity, a rounded face, increased fat)
- A study of drug interactions between Modafinil, Doxycycline, Prednisone, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Oxycodone, Fish Oil Fatty Acid, Allegra, Zantac 150, Metformin, Tizanidine Hydrochloride, Lyrica, Cefprozil, Allopurinol for a 32-year old man with Hypersomnia, Infection, Swelling, Pain In Limb, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Allergy To Plants, Acid Reflux, High Blood Sugar, Stress, Gout. The patient has Itching, Elevated Liver Enzymes, Insulin C-peptide Increased, Complement Factor C3 Increased, Blood Uric Acid Increased, Pseudopapilloedema, Lymphadenopathy Mediastinal, Vision Blurred, Hives, Swelling, Pain Exacerbated
Recent Prednisone related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Evista, Prednisone, Atacand for a 80-year old woman who has Osteoporosis Postmenopausal
- Comparions of Symbicort, Doxycycline, Dapsone, Prednisone for a 57-year old man who has Bullous Pemphigoid
- Comparions of Hydrocortisone, Prednisone for a 60-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Prednisone, Omeprazole, Linzess, Ambien for a 22-year old woman who has Migraine
- Comparions of Cefdinir, Prednisone for a 50-year old woman who has Cefdinir
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.