Review: could Prednisone cause Insomnia?
Summary: Insomnia is found among people who take Prednisone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prednisone tab, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 146,686 people who have side effects while taking Prednisone from FDA and social media. Among them, 2,339 have Insomnia. Find out below who they are, when they have Insomnia and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Prednisone and have Insomnia >>>
Prednisone has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from Prednisone 150,015 users)
Insomnia has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, high blood pressure, pain, stress and anxiety.(latest reports from Insomnia 135,811 patients)
On Nov, 27, 2014: 146,686 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 2,614 people (1.78%) have Insomnia.
Time on Prednisone when people have Insomnia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Insomnia when taking Prednisone * :
Age of people who have Insomnia when taking Prednisone * :
Severity of Insomnia when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Insomnia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (325 people, 12.43%)
- Pain (280 people, 10.71%)
- Osteoporosis (221 people, 8.45%)
- Depression (185 people, 7.08%)
- Asthma (170 people, 6.50%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone tab (670 people, 25.63%)
- Aspirin (407 people, 15.57%)
- Ambien (370 people, 14.15%)
- Zometa (368 people, 14.08%)
- Folic acid (347 people, 13.27%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Insomnia while taking Prednisone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Prednisone and have Insomnia
- support group for people who take Prednisone
- support group for people who have Insomnia
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- What can i do to help my wife who is on ambien and sometimes has horrible restless leg syndrome?
(Asked by a 25 year old woman who has ADD, Restless Leg Syndrome, Insomnia, and takes Adderall, Ambien)
She will take her meds like a hour and a half before actually going to sleep. The Zambian that is and sometimes she has uncontrolled restless leg syndrome. She has to move them a certain way and everything. This last time it lasted a hour and a half. I was just wondering if there is anything I could ...
- Can meclizine cause insomnia once and sleepiness the next time
(Asked by a 58 year old woman who has Somnolence, Insomnia, and takes Meclizine)
I took Meclizine one night (as advised by pharmacist; she said it causes drowsiness), after experiencing my first attack of vertigo. It kept me awake almost all night. A couple weeks later, as I was getting ready for a special school event for my daughter, I thought another vertigo attack was coming ...
- Can i continue taking lysine while taking prednisone? (5 day prescription)
(Asked by a 57 year old woman who has Blocked Ear, and takes Prednisone, Lysine)
I am on a 5 day prescription of prednisone for my allergies/ear blockage. Is it safe for me during this time to continue taking my Lysine supplement?
- I take 20mg of amitriptyline each notgh to help me sleep. i have just been diagnosed with parkinsons and need to takae azilect, whihc is an mao-b inhibotor, can i take them together
(Asked by a 66 year old woman who has Insomnia, Parkinson's Disease, and takes Azilect)
Can I take both these tables together? My consultant said it was ok to take both
but the Amitriptyline instructions say do not take with MAO-B inhibitors, Azilect is an MAO-B inhibitors
- Does zoloft cause ringing in the ears, like tinnitus? i've been on it for a month and noticed the ringing in the ears about a week ago, and it's just constant ringing and it's driving me insane. (1 answer)
(Asked by a 24 year old man who has Ringing In The Ears, and takes Dicyclomine Hydrochloride, Benadryl, Tylenol, Lialda, Azathioprine, Prednisone, Ambien, Zoloft)
I've been on most of the medications for more than a year and it hasn't been that bad getting used to them. But I've been on Zoloft and ambien for about a month now, and I've been noticing a lot of side effects. The one I just recently noticed and that has been driving me completely insane, is the r ...
More questions for: Prednisone, Insomnia
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Doxylamine succinate and severe restless legs and insomnia
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Insomnia, Severe Restless Legs, and takes Doxylamine Succinate)
Could not sleep so took 2 doxylamine gel tablets. Got very sleepy but could not actually fall asleep. So I ended up, over the next few hours, taking 3 more. More sleepiness and more restless legs, and still couldn't sleep At All. Up the entire night but couldn't really do anything cause I was so ...
- Prednisone rx 3,3,2,2,1,1 plan suicidal haunts all day
(Posted by a 54 year old man who has COPD, Emphysema, and takes Prednisone)
I came home from the Hospitol with a 3,3,2,2,1,1 Rx.
I took (3) and spent the rest of the day contenplating Suicide.
The rest of the Rx went in the Toilet by 7:pm.
I wonder how many this Killed.
- Prednisone induced cushing's syndrome
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Steroid Myopathy, Osteopenia, Diabetes, Peripheral Neuropathy , Cushing's Syndrome - Steroid Induced, and takes Prednisone)
Prescribed Prednisone 20mg twice daily. Took for six weeks and developed weaken muscles and swollen face. Was hospitalized and informed I had severe Cushing's Syndrome. Host of problems included glucose over 400, inflammed pancreas, triglycerides over 4,000 and vision problems. Muscles were wast ...
- Lorazepam nearly killed me during cancer treatment
(Posted by a 66 year old woman who has Insomnia, Bowel Movement Irregularity, Withdrawal Syndrome, and takes Wellbutrin Sr, Prozac, Lorazepam)
Day 31 of cold turkey and I want to die. It is a roller coaster from body tics and sweats to rage and crying in one day. I felt so good the 4h day of c/t. It was like before my cancer diagnosis. My bowels are better off Lorazepam. I threw up during bowel movements from the pain. Off Lorazepam first ...
- Prednisone side effect: hiccups
(Posted by a 56 year old man who has Allergic Reaction To Bee Sting, and takes Prednisone)
I am taking prednisone for an allergic reaction to a bee sting. 20mg for 5 days, then 10mg for 5 days. Starting the second day, I have fairly consistent hiccups, which become more severe at night. I have also previously taken prednisone to tame a severe poison ivy rash and have had the same react ...
More reviews for: Prednisone, Insomnia
- A study of drug interactions between Methotrexate, Celebrex, Benadryl, Xanax, Enbrel for a patient with Psoriatic Arthritis, Insomnia, Anxiety. The patient has Insomnia
Comments: I have had insomnia off and on all my life until I turned 40 and the I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and I was tired all the time and I was sleeping a lot for me and it was good to be able to sleep. The doctor put me on Methotrexate and Enbrel and I could still sleep not as much as before ...
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a patient with Polymyalgia Rheumatica. The patient has Joint Stiffness
Comments: I had a flu-like bout of unwellness approx 2 weeks before being diagnosed with Polymyalgia rheumatica. The onset was very sudden - went from being fully mobile, to developing neck/shoulder stiffness and then being fully immobile within 36 hours. Following two days of steroids, I felt much better but ...
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisone, Montelukast Sodium for a patient with Eosinophilia, Asthma Aggravated. The patient has Muscle Aches, Muscle Fatigue, Numbness And Tingling
Comments: After a few weeks at 30mg/day of Prednisone I started to experience experience muscle fatigue and ache after only a short amount of walking. After a month later on 10mg of Prednisone I started to notice minor tingling and numbness in my feet, then ankles, and now further up my leg after about two we ...
- A study of side effects of Lo Loestrin Fe for a patient with Help Painful Monthly Cycle. The patient has Insomnia (sleeplessness)
Comments: My obgyn tried this pill to help my cycles. My cycles were painful 3 out of 4 weeks a month. I have had a lot of stress going on in my life so I blew it off as that was why I am crying, can't sleep/well and ready to blow at any time. Now I am wondering if it is the pill.
- A study of drug interactions between Lamictal, Alprazolam, Lactulose, Daytrana, Effexor, Ondansetron, Ursodiol, Prednisone, Azathioprine, Tacrolimus for a patient with Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Encephalopathy - Hepatic, Depression, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Immunosuppressant Drug Therapy. The patient has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Fatigue - Chronic, Major Depression, Anxiety Disorder, Nausea
Comments: The nausea is persistent and debilitating as is the fatigue. Nothing relieves the nausea. I was transplanted for esld Chronic Hep B but developed de novo autoimmune hepatitis with a touch of graft v. host disease.
The emotional troubles became extremely exacerbated post-transplant.
3 yrs pos ...
More related studies for: Prednisone, Insomnia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.