Review: could Prednisone cause Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness?
(By eHealthMe on Feb, 27, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.7/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 146,485 people who take Prednisone. Among them, 8,096 have Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness. See who they are, when they have Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Prednisone (latest outcomes from 149,621 users) has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in asthma, rheumatoid arthritis. Commonly reported side effects of Prednisone include fever, nausea aggravated, nausea, weakness, dyspnoea exacerbated.
Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness
Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness (latest reports from 1,304,328 patients) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, pain.
On Feb, 17, 2014: 140,480 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 8,034 people (5.72%) have Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness.
Time on Prednisone when people have Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness||47.80%||28.00%||10.40%||5.20%||5.60%||1.40%||1.60% |
Gender of people who have Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness when taking Prednisone * :
|Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness||61.25%||38.75% |
Age of people who have Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness when taking Prednisone * :
|Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness||0.03%||0.35%||1.49%||2.63%||8.06%||13.06%||21.18%||53.20% |
Severity of Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness||6.25%||37.50%||46.88%||9.38% |
How people recovered from Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness||0.00%||8.33%||91.67% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (1,172 people, 14.59%)
- Osteoporosis (682 people, 8.49%)
- Pain (655 people, 8.15%)
- Multiple myeloma (446 people, 5.55%)
- Hypertension (445 people, 5.54%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone tab (2,253 people, 28.04%)
- Aspirin (1,658 people, 20.64%)
- Folic acid (1,269 people, 15.80%)
- Methotrexate (1,233 people, 15.35%)
- Lasix (1,054 people, 13.12%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Prednisone, Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Prednisone (prednisone) is often used for asthma. Find out below the conditions Prednisone is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Prednisone used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
- Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness in Asthma (1,413 reports)
- Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness in Rheumatoid Arthritis (4,876 reports)
- Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (141 reports)
- Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness in Polymyalgia Rheumatica (87 reports)
- Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness in Inflammation (133 reports)
Browse Prednisone side effects from A to Z:
Browse Prednisone drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 days ago):
Began taking sleep aids 15+yrs ago.Can not nap or sleep without.Had the Mirena IUD inserted over 10yrs ago, shortly after it was approved.Began exp sever mood swings and depr. Was put on anti-depr. Began having chronic pain.Most sever in the neck,shoulders,arms and hips.Drs were unable to determine the cause.Several yrs later it was determined that I had PMR.I was only 40 at the time.I was put on a high dose of prednisone.I was on prednisone for about 5yrs.Even the slightest reduction in the dose brought back severe pain.I am now off prednisone.I continued to experience full body pain but not so much the severe stiffness. I experience severe perspiration. It was discovered that I had a VitD deficiency.Test around 7. I currently take supplement and test around 35.During all this time I was experiencing severe abdominal pains and began experiencing very severe, sharp "ice pick" type pain throughout my body.Pain occurred regardless of time of day, awoke me from sleep and occurred in random spots often within just a few seconds of the previous pain.I began experiencing bloating, golt, & constipation after getting the IUD. A few yrs ago I began experiencing severe twitching, mostly in my legs, day and night. Finally, the 3rd GYN I was referred to was able to remove the IUD, in December 2013. Since having the IUD removed I am no longer constipated, no longer have golt, and much of the ice-pick type pain I was experiencing is gone. I continue to have sharp abdominal pain, although it feels different. My menstrual cycle has not returned. I am currently taking Ambien 5MG or 6.25 slow release nightly, Cymbalta/DuloxetineHCL60mg, Adderall 20mg 1 or 2x/day, Meloxicam, 15mg, Vitamin D2 (1.25 MG 50k unit) 2XperWk and Fenofibric. I suspect silicone toxicity from the IUD has brought on or exasperated my conditions over the past 10 years. Please help me to understand and recover.
From this study (3 months ago):
Healed joint and soft tissue injuries (PID) return with increased pain and swelling. Pressure changes with position. Frequency and intensity of migraines increased with pressure symptoms. Genetic connective tissue disorder - Ehler Danlos Syndrome. Cardiac arrhythmia. History of rheumatic fever, pneumothorax, whooping cough, and severe allergic reactions.
From this study (10 months ago):
physician things delusions/hallucinations are due to arterial temporitis flareup and has increased prednisone from 10mg to 40mg. Now she won't sleep, and had much trouble before that as it is. Sometimes she is lucid, other times delusional (calling for people who aren't there). Husband passed away in April. Recovering from a UTI but underlying symptoms still there. Dr. also increased seroquel from 25 to 50mg. at bedtime. She wakes up two times at night wanting to get out of bed.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Prednisone, Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Breast tenderness and soreness
This medicine made my breast very sore and tender.
- Bladder infection while on mestinon
Had gradual lest side weakness. Everyday living is difficult. I was referred to cleveland clinic. Dr there has had me go through several tests. My tilt table test showed increase of heart rate and blood pressure. So he suspects I have POTS Postier orthostatic tachecardia syndrome. Still more t ...
- Spiriva caused me to swell up like a hippo.
My Doctor prescribed spiriva to help me breathe due to asthma/cold. I never smoked but my parents and friends were heavy smokers. I used the spiriva 3 times. Once a day for 3 days then I started swelling in my ankles and the swelling continued until my face, hands arms... basically I was so swollen ...
More reviews for: Prednisone, Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Retin-a, Silver, Nystatin, Clobetasol Propionate, Vanos, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Cardizem, Prednisone, Restasis, Lidocaine, Zyrtec, Flonase, Ipratropium Bromide, Xopenex HFA, Xopenex, Fioricet, Relpax, Botox, Lidoderm, Baclofen, Lansoprazole, Advair Diskus 500/50, Symbicort, Singulair, Oxycodone, Enbrel, Aygestin for a patient with Acne, Wound, Thrush, Eczema, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Vitamin D Deficiency, Blood Pressure Fluctuation, Rheumatic Heart Disease, Dry Eye, Cervical Spondylosis, Allergies, Rhinitis Allergic, Asthma, Migraine With Aura, Musculoskeletal Pain, Muscle Spasms, Gerd, Herniated Intervertebral Disk, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Endometriosis. The patient has Urine Flow Decreased, Urine Output, Constipation, Shoulder Impingement Syndrome (Rotator cuff tendinitis), Frozen Shoulder, Early Morning Awakening, Palpitations Aggravated (Heart palpitations), Sleepy (Drowsiness), Sleep Paralysis - Isolated (Isolated sleep paralysis), Confusion, Sensitivity To The Cold (Cold intolerance), Drowsiness, Muscle Fatigue (Weakness), Cramps - Muscle (Muscle cramps), Pain - Muscles (Muscle aches), Muscular Weakness (Weakness), Eye Pain, Vision Blurred, Night Sweats, Pain - Joints (Joint pain), Joint Warmth, Pain - Neck (Neck pain), Blood Pressure Diastolic Increased, Increased Intracranial Pressure, Headache, Heart Rate Increased, Micturition Frequency Decreased, Blood Pressure Fluctuation, Blood Pressure Increased (High blood pressure)
- A study of drug interactions between Novolog, Lantus, Vicodin, Coumadin, Prednisone, Seroquel, Miralax, Atorvastatin Calcium, Protonix, Allopurinol, Lopressor, Spironolactone, Megace for a patient with Diabetes, Pain Exacerbated, Blood Clots, Temporal Arteritis, Depression - Elderly, Constipation, Heart Disease - Diabetes, Gerd, Kidney Stones, High Blood Pressure, Hyperaldosteronism, Appetite. The patient has Muscular Weakness (Weakness), Delirium, Confusional State, Delusions, Mixed
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a patient with Sarcoidosis. The patient has Muscle Weakness (a lack of muscle strength)
More related studies for: Prednisone, Lack of strength, muscle weakness, weakness
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.